Need Help! Tormach PCNC 1100 axis motors and drivers

Thread: Tormach PCNC 1100 axis motors and drivers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach PCNC 1100 axis motors and drivers

Hi all,

I find the noise made by the stepper motors on my mill very annoying. I did some searching but cannot find any info on these motors. Info that would be useful in searching for replacement SERVO motors. Can anyone direct me to a site that would have the info ?

Thanks,

Ernie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach PCNC 1100 axis motors and drivers

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    Hi all,

I find the noise made by the stepper motors on my mill very annoying. I did some searching but cannot find any info on these motors. Info that would be useful in searching for replacement SERVO motors. Can anyone direct me to a site that would have the info ?

Thanks,

Ernie
    Are you running series II motors or series 3?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Step,

I am running series ll motors. I was on site and they are out of stock on the new poly phase motor kits.

Ernie

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Step,

I am running series ll motors. I was on site and they are out of stock on the new poly phase motor kits.

Ernie
    You really should check out the series 3 upgrade. It makes a HUGE difference. I was really disappointed when I first time I ran my series II, I always associate noise with a problem and I found the stepper noise really nerving - yes annoying as you said in your first post. Shortly after I bought my mill Tormach announced the series 3 upgrade so I jumped at it, and I certainly never regretted doing so. OK, they're not servos but the difference is like night and day. I'd recommend you google for tormach series 3 upgrade - I'm sure you'll find other reports similar to mine.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Info that would be useful in searching for replacement SERVO motors. Can anyone direct me to a site that would have the info
    So you are saying that you are going to skip the Series III leadshine driver/stepper upgrade and jump straight to a servo upgrade?

The easiest way to do that is with Clearpath Teknic servos, which is a drop-in replacement for the steppers (SD version), runs $250-$400 per motor, depending on frame size. It accepts the step/direction output of your existing stepper driver, and has an integrated servo driver.

https://www.teknic.com/products/clea...-servo-motors/

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim,

I am not an electronics guy. That said, yes I would like to go with servos. Do you know of anyone who has made this change? I was on the Technik site , contacted them and got a reply asking for info on the present motors. That was when I sent out my query about info on the existing stepper motors. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie