PCNC amazing accident


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: PCNC amazing accident

  1. #1
    Registered mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1346
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default PCNC amazing accident

    Ok, this is going to be hard to believe. And try at your own risk!

    Most people that read threads I post in around here know I set in a chair spin around using foot pedal to activate power draw bar. Also from pictures I post I use 5 collet fixtures in vise for many of the small parts i make. I have a thread called favorite setups. I also like everybody else leave a extra tool holder in spindle when I change material and get ready for next part. Any way I always set and scroll midi line and set x0y0. Today I was working a little faster then usual. And turned to gab an empty 1/4 tool holder and release pdb . Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.

    Before foot on pedal. I took this shot after it happened to show the height it fell
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding2-jpg


    After it happened I went and got camera!
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding1-jpg


    Dont try this at home youtubers.

    Also thinking its a new way to test your setting offset centering skills. Btw I set the x,y using the outside sides of the collet holder. not the material itself.

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    You've got to get lucky once in a while. My PDB is activated by a pneumatic valve located out of sight and in such an inconvenient place that I really have to stop and think "Where is that bleeping valve?" That helps both inadvertent as well as out of sequence activation. Please, don't ask why I had to go to such extreme measures. I will say it's related to the reason my computer power switch is no longer anywhere near the coolant switch



  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    363
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Sweet

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk



  4. #4
    Registered mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1346
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    About a year ago I did same thing with Hamier Probe. I had my hand on it then and it slipped out. I broke $65 probe tip with other hand catching it before it anything. Was lucky then also expensive probe never hit a hard surface other then my hand.

    Edit: Btw after this happened last year, I adjusted power draw bar to the point I had to pull tool out and push in with some force. Forgot that I did that and now looks like I need to adjust it again.



  5. #5
    Registered popspipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    They used to make R8 collets that the tool of reasonable weight, wouldnt fall out on release, I have some of each, the newer ones are made to spring open to make the tools easy to release. I prefer the old style, I can see where they would be an advantage if one had a tool changer as a bit of clearance would be a good thing for alignment.

    My 5C collets for my end mill sharpener are (pre sprung), the old set I have are not that way.

    mike sr


  6. #6
    Registered popspipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Ok, this is going to be hard to believe. And try at your own risk!

    Most people that read threads I post in around here know I set in a chair spin around using foot pedal to activate power draw bar. Also from pictures I post I use 5 collet fixtures in vise for many of the small parts i make. I have a thread called favorite setups. I also like everybody else leave a extra tool holder in spindle when I change material and get ready for next part. Any way I always set and scroll midi line and set x0y0. Today I was working a little faster then usual. And turned to gab an empty 1/4 tool holder and release pdb . Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.

    Before foot on pedal. I took this shot after it happened to show the height it fell
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding2-jpg


    After it happened I went and got camera!
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding1-jpg


    Dont try this at home youtubers.

    Also thinking its a new way to test your setting offset centering skills. Btw I set the x,y using the outside sides of the collet holder. not the material itself.
    I havent had this happen exactly like yours did, I have had the tool and holder drop out and fall into the hole in the part though.

    mike sr


  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    346
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    A look on the bright side shows that your spindle is index on the brass rod dead-nuts right on the money for it to have fallen spot-on like that.

    MetalShavings



  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing. I guess that also means your mill is level!



  9. #9
    Registered mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1346
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    A look on the bright side shows that your spindle is index on the brass rod dead-nuts right on the money for it to have fallen spot-on like that.

    MetalShavings
    I was also amazed a 1/4" tool holder could fit on rough cut 1/4 brass rod. The top of the rod was cut by arbor saw from last op of previous part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Ben View Post
    Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing. I guess that also means your mill is level!
    Mill is level and the tool holder is balanced!
    Looking at the tool holder it has a drill spot opposite of the tool holder set screw I never noticed this and now I understand its to balance the holder maybe?



  10. #10
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2691
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.
    I'd run right out and buy a lottery ticket after that.



  11. #11
    Gold Member Steve Seebold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA and proud of it
    Posts
    1524
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    I'd bet you dollars to donuts you can't do that again.

    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.


  12. #12
    Registered mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1346
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I'd bet you dollars to donuts you can't do that again.
    Agreed that is why I thought it was such a amazing accident! Like a hole in one on golf , not very easy but they do happen. I just wished, like some people have a video camera behind them recording it when it happens. Get some youtube views on that video!



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

PCNC amazing accident
PCNC amazing accident