PCNC amazing accident

Thread: PCNC amazing accident

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PCNC amazing accident

Ok, this is going to be hard to believe. And try at your own risk!

Most people that read threads I post in around here know I set in a chair spin around using foot pedal to activate power draw bar. Also from pictures I post I use 5 collet fixtures in vise for many of the small parts i make. I have a thread called favorite setups. I also like everybody else leave a extra tool holder in spindle when I change material and get ready for next part. Any way I always set and scroll midi line and set x0y0. Today I was working a little faster then usual. And turned to gab an empty 1/4 tool holder and release pdb . Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.

Before foot on pedal. I took this shot after it happened to show the height it fell
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding2-jpg

After it happened I went and got camera!
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding1-jpg

Dont try this at home youtubers.

Also thinking its a new way to test your setting offset centering skills. Btw I set the x,y using the outside sides of the collet holder. not the material itself.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

You've got to get lucky once in a while. My PDB is activated by a pneumatic valve located out of sight and in such an inconvenient place that I really have to stop and think "Where is that bleeping valve?" That helps both inadvertent as well as out of sequence activation. Please, don't ask why I had to go to such extreme measures. I will say it's related to the reason my computer power switch is no longer anywhere near the coolant switch

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

About a year ago I did same thing with Hamier Probe. I had my hand on it then and it slipped out. I broke $65 probe tip with other hand catching it before it anything. Was lucky then also expensive probe never hit a hard surface other then my hand.

Edit: Btw after this happened last year, I adjusted power draw bar to the point I had to pull tool out and push in with some force. Forgot that I did that and now looks like I need to adjust it again.

Downloads
    Uploads

They used to make R8 collets that the tool of reasonable weight, wouldnt fall out on release, I have some of each, the newer ones are made to spring open to make the tools easy to release. I prefer the old style, I can see where they would be an advantage if one had a tool changer as a bit of clearance would be a good thing for alignment.

My 5C collets for my end mill sharpener are (pre sprung), the old set I have are not that way.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Ok, this is going to be hard to believe. And try at your own risk!

Most people that read threads I post in around here know I set in a chair spin around using foot pedal to activate power draw bar. Also from pictures I post I use 5 collet fixtures in vise for many of the small parts i make. I have a thread called favorite setups. I also like everybody else leave a extra tool holder in spindle when I change material and get ready for next part. Any way I always set and scroll midi line and set x0y0. Today I was working a little faster then usual. And turned to gab an empty 1/4 tool holder and release pdb . Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.

Before foot on pedal. I took this shot after it happened to show the height it fell
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding2-jpg

After it happened I went and got camera!
    PCNC amazing accident-toollanding1-jpg

Dont try this at home youtubers.

Also thinking its a new way to test your setting offset centering skills. Btw I set the x,y using the outside sides of the collet holder. not the material itself.
    I havent had this happen exactly like yours did, I have had the tool and holder drop out and fall into the hole in the part though.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

A look on the bright side shows that your spindle is index on the brass rod dead-nuts right on the money for it to have fallen spot-on like that.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing. I guess that also means your mill is level!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    A look on the bright side shows that your spindle is index on the brass rod dead-nuts right on the money for it to have fallen spot-on like that.

MetalShavings
    I was also amazed a 1/4" tool holder could fit on rough cut 1/4 brass rod. The top of the rod was cut by arbor saw from last op of previous part.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Ben View Post
    Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing. I guess that also means your mill is level!
    Mill is level and the tool holder is balanced!
    Looking at the tool holder it has a drill spot opposite of the tool holder set screw I never noticed this and now I understand its to balance the holder maybe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Well I got out of sequence and hit foot pedal before I had my hand even near the tool holder and it dropped out and landed on 1/4 brass rod in 5c collet mounted in vice below. stopped about 3/8 inch on the rod then slowly slid down brass rod to collet.
    I'd run right out and buy a lottery ticket after that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd bet you dollars to donuts you can't do that again.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I'd bet you dollars to donuts you can't do that again.
    Agreed that is why I thought it was such a amazing accident! Like a hole in one on golf , not very easy but they do happen. I just wished, like some people have a video camera behind them recording it when it happens. Get some youtube views on that video!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it happens.
    ER25 collets. Release collet nut carefully and 8 mm drill bit falls into 8 mm hole just drilled.
    Has happened a number of times. I guess the 8 mm collet should be a shade tighter.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

A few times I inadvertently locked the collet open when changing tools and as soon as I let go of the new tool, bombs away! Since I've gone with an all pneumatic system I no longer have the feature that keeps the collet open. If I want it to remain open I just keep my hand on the air valve. Also, klutz that I am, I no longer run the controller through the Tormach's "computer" circuit, rather it's now on it's own dedicated line..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Yeah, it happens.
    ER25 collets. Release collet nut carefully and 8 mm drill bit falls into 8 mm hole just drilled.
    Has happened a number of times. I guess the 8 mm collet should be a shade tighter.

Cheers
    Roger
    I would like for my 5c collets to be like my er collets, pre sprung to a larger diameter. good ones like Harding and others are. slight release of nut and stock is free. not my units lol

Downloads
    Uploads

pre sprung to a larger diameter.
    I do NOT like this, not at all. It means that when I undo the ER nut the tool falls out - and hits the hard vice below and chips a corner off.
    I will happily settle for a slight tension to hold the tool in place until I pull it out.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    pre sprung to a larger diameter.
    I do NOT like this, not at all. It means that when I undo the ER nut the tool falls out - and hits the hard vice below and chips a corner off.
    I will happily settle for a slight tension to hold the tool in place until I pull it out.

Cheers
    Roger
    I dont like the pre sprung collets either!!!

I have a regular R8 (shortened) in the Tormach that came with it new, I still have a face mill that will fall out, just due to the weight of it. I always try to hold the tool before pushing the button, but Murphy does get me occasionally.............

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I dont like the pre sprung collets either!!!

I have a regular R8 (shortened) in the Tormach that came with it new, I still have a face mill that will fall out, just due to the weight of it. I always try to hold the tool before pushing the button, but Murphy does get me occasionally.............
    Agreed in both your cases. In my case pre-sprung 5c collets for material or part holding is handy. They aid in release of material without tapping on tension nut to loosen material enough to move, adjust or place new into. makes them less fiddly and more precise imho everyone has their methods and I try to respect and use all I can. I learn as much or more form others then myself. Lots of smart, crafty, ingenious, cunning jedi master people out there to learn from.