PCNC amazing accident - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCNC amazing accident

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC amazing accident

Yeah, it happens.
    ER25 collets. Release collet nut carefully and 8 mm drill bit falls into 8 mm hole just drilled.
    Has happened a number of times. I guess the 8 mm collet should be a shade tighter.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A few times I inadvertently locked the collet open when changing tools and as soon as I let go of the new tool, bombs away! Since I've gone with an all pneumatic system I no longer have the feature that keeps the collet open. If I want it to remain open I just keep my hand on the air valve. Also, klutz that I am, I no longer run the controller through the Tormach's "computer" circuit, rather it's now on it's own dedicated line..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Yeah, it happens.
    ER25 collets. Release collet nut carefully and 8 mm drill bit falls into 8 mm hole just drilled.
    Has happened a number of times. I guess the 8 mm collet should be a shade tighter.

Cheers
    Roger
    I would like for my 5c collets to be like my er collets, pre sprung to a larger diameter. good ones like Harding and others are. slight release of nut and stock is free. not my units lol

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

pre sprung to a larger diameter.
    I do NOT like this, not at all. It means that when I undo the ER nut the tool falls out - and hits the hard vice below and chips a corner off.
    I will happily settle for a slight tension to hold the tool in place until I pull it out.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    pre sprung to a larger diameter.
    I do NOT like this, not at all. It means that when I undo the ER nut the tool falls out - and hits the hard vice below and chips a corner off.
    I will happily settle for a slight tension to hold the tool in place until I pull it out.

Cheers
    Roger
    I dont like the pre sprung collets either!!!

I have a regular R8 (shortened) in the Tormach that came with it new, I still have a face mill that will fall out, just due to the weight of it. I always try to hold the tool before pushing the button, but Murphy does get me occasionally.............

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I dont like the pre sprung collets either!!!

I have a regular R8 (shortened) in the Tormach that came with it new, I still have a face mill that will fall out, just due to the weight of it. I always try to hold the tool before pushing the button, but Murphy does get me occasionally.............
    Agreed in both your cases. In my case pre-sprung 5c collets for material or part holding is handy. They aid in release of material without tapping on tension nut to loosen material enough to move, adjust or place new into. makes them less fiddly and more precise imho everyone has their methods and I try to respect and use all I can. I learn as much or more form others then myself. Lots of smart, crafty, ingenious, cunning jedi master people out there to learn from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12