Need Rec for Shipping Agent Tormach to the UK

Thread: Need Rec for Shipping Agent Tormach to the UK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Rec for Shipping Agent Tormach to the UK

Hi, anoyone who has bought a Tormach in the UK.
    I am going to get a 770 shortly and am trying to work out details of shipping / insurance etc.
    Does anyone have a shipping company they can reccomend to arrange shipping/clearance etc, and any idea of how long/how much it costs.

Thanks

Chris

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Rec for Shipping Agent Tormach to the UK

Tormach recommended a company call ACC Worldwide when I imported my 1100 to the UK in 2015. I found them to be great to deal with. They arranged everything, and the price was good in comparison to some other companies. My contact there was June Rogers. Their website is ACC Worldwide - Your Global Transport Solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Ben View Post
    Tormach recommended a company call ACC Worldwide when I imported my 1100 to the UK in 2015. I found them to be great to deal with. They arranged everything, and the price was good in comparison to some other companies. My contact there was June Rogers. Their website is ACC Worldwide - Your Global Transport Solution.
    Two thumbs up for ACC Worldwide also. They did a great job importing my 770 last year, great end-to-end service.

Cheers, Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, just realised I didn't answer your other questions. Importing an 1100 plus stand and accessories was £850 before VAT. The process took around 4 weeks. This was almost 2 years ago though so things could have changed significantly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi drazziweht, I bought 1100 last year. I was importing this machine to UK and then to Ireland. I've some terrible experience with the machine quality, spec and also with their customer service. Think twice before purchase, this is Chinese quality, nothing better, with fake numbers in the inspection checklist. You may end up with piece of crap. With warranty, but pack it and send it back to US to get it fixed. Buy something locally otherwise it's pure lottery and sending it back is to much hassle. To be honest the Tormach machines looks pretty good on the paper, the spec for this price is not bad but the "Chinese standard" lack of quality control, should keep you away from buying it. Their customer service is ok and friendly when you experiencing easy to fix issues, something more serious and you will be in tubeless.
    p.s. ... or maybe they dealing like that with customers outside US only, not sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCer__ View Post
    Hi drazziweht, I bought 1100 last year. I was importing this machine to UK and then to Ireland. I've some terrible experience with the machine quality, spec and also with their customer service. Think twice before purchase, this is Chinese quality, nothing better, with fake numbers in the inspection checklist. You may end up with piece of crap. With warranty, but pack it and send it back to US to get it fixed. Buy something locally otherwise it's pure lottery and sending it back is to much hassle. To be honest the Tormach machines looks pretty good on the paper, the spec for this price is not bad but the "Chinese standard" lack of quality control, should keep you away from buying it. Their customer service is ok and friendly when you experiencing easy to fix issues, something more serious and you will be in tubeless.
    You should be safe if you get the extended warranty. I'm regretting not doing so now as the control board has developed a fault after less than 2 years, and it's $470 to replace.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess the problem is there is as far as I can see nothing really comparable in the UK unless you go DIY conversion or second hand.
    Spent quite a bit of time looking and reading others comments which seem at least mostly positive for the Tormach esp when compared to say Sybil owners. Denford look like nice hardware but the company are not interested in selling outside education and everything else is just chinesse imports.

To be fair the Tormach have stepped up to fix some fairly big costly issues and do the right thing, such as the rapidturn spindle problem and its quite hard to find horror stories of bad machines with bad support response, There seems to be quite a large number of people with ore than 1 tormach machine around which is always rather encouraging.

What problems did you have with yours ?

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, will get in touch with ACC, big question at the moment is if I am going to get the stand or try and build one, which really depends on what its going to cost to ship the stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drazziweht View Post
    Thanks, will get in touch with ACC, big question at the moment is if I am going to get the stand or try and build one, which really depends on what its going to cost to ship the stand.
    I think the stand (and included flood coolant system) is overpriced. If you have the time and means to build your own, it would definitely be cheaper and most likely better. My main complaint with the stand is that the coolant doesn't drain adequately, leading to a lot of wasted coolant pooled underneath the mill, which will just evaporate. (Topping up with de-mineralised water isn't cheap). I've mostly solved this by installing drain hoses from the table directly to the coolant drain tray. But it's not perfect and for the price I would have expected a better design from Tormach. I do have some more modifications planned to completely fix this but it's more time and money.

The entire stock flood coolant system is poor. The sump is too small, the pump is under powered, the hose is low quality with knock-off Loc-Line, and there's virtually no filtration. I built a new coolant system for not much money and it's a lot better, including genuine Loc-Line. I basically followed John Grimsmo's video on the subject which I highly recommend.

If I were to buy another 1100, I would definitely build a stand and save a lot of money.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm planning on using a fogbuster coolant rather than flood, From what I have read it does most of what flood coolant can with a lot less hassle/mess, about the only downside seems to be deep holes.
    Sounds like welding one up out of steel tube is the way to go.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Once one prices out about 200 kgs of sheet metal, coolant pump etc... the Tormach Deluxe stand doesn't look so outrageously expensive. However, as Eli_Ben mentions above, there are a few issues with it.

If you are a skilled fabricator, have suitable tools and can get materials at a good price, you can probably do better. If you decide to build your own, I highly recommend you do a full enclosure.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

CNCer,
    From your reply I assume your perpendicularity issue was not resolved by Tormach. You stopped posting on that thread so we don't know the outcome.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    CNCer,
    From your reply I assume your perpendicularity issue was not resolved by Tormach. You stopped posting on that thread so we don't know the outcome.
    No, it wasn't, but it cannot be fixed remotely by Tormach anyway. I got some experienced guy for diagnostic and believe me he was just shocked at the poor quality of this "new" machine. There is much more of the "chineese touch" than I already described here. The "funniest" one was the Z axis gib. There is no way to say that somebody was hand scraping the surface. The more accurate description of this manufacturing process should be "folk sculpture" made with a blunt kitchen fork.
    I do not like to waste my time, nerves and cash, so I decided to give up on this crap. That's why I do not update my older posts. I just decided to reply to this post because I still remember when I was exactly at the same point as drazziweht is now. He may have more luck than me.
    From my experience, the Tormach mill is a great design/machine for this cash which is totally wasted by the Chinese manufacturer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sorry to hear it couldn't be resolved. I would expect that if it could not be fixed that Tormach would replace it. Very surprised and concerned that they did not. Did they take it back? Or did you find a Yacht owner that needed a new anchor?

I have purchased two 1100s and have had good results with both (one personal and one for my employer). The second one had a few minor quality issues, the z-axis gibs were really loose, bad TTS collet and control board was DOA. They were helpful and shipped out replacement parts promptly. That was 6 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Ben View Post
    You should be safe if you get the extended warranty. I'm regretting not doing so now as the control board has developed a fault after less than 2 years, and it's $470 to replace.
    Be glad you're not paying for a Mori Seiki board!