Wider Fly Cutter for 1100

Thread: Wider Fly Cutter for 1100

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wider Fly Cutter for 1100

I have an 1100 and I am impressed by how well the Tormach Superfly cutter does, but I have some 4" wide parts that I would like to do a finish pass across in one pass (no visible line). Are there any suggestions for a wider single point fly cutter, just for finish (<= 0.005") passes? Or what are the polishing options. Some sort of orbital / rotational polisher?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wider Fly Cutter for 1100

I used this Chinese set purchased from MSC.
    The largest fly cutter faced, then crossed the moldblock shown, at much faster feed for air venting.
    The red cutting tool shown is a piece of harbor freight junk that lacked the rigidity to cut aluminum at .007.
    These flycutters come without a cutting tool.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00230078 Edited...........Cant get the image to load....
    Edit,edit, had to resize some more

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wider Fly Cutter for 1100-flycutters-jpg  
    Last edited by oneineight; 04-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    to lazy to chase arrows

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    I have an 1100 and I am impressed by how well the Tormach Superfly cutter does, but I have some 4" wide parts that I would like to do a finish pass across in one pass (no visible line). Are there any suggestions for a wider single point fly cutter, just for finish (<= 0.005") passes? Or what are the polishing options. Some sort of orbital / rotational polisher?
    Check out the Suburban Tool fly cutter. Expensive, but run carefully (at reasonable speeds) should work. Or, consider making your own. A 4-5" disk, with two indexable lathe tools (one set a thou or so lower than the other) might serve. Just remember that angular momentum gets really, ah, interesting when the moment arm gets big.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would a brush something like this be an option to blend the lines between passes.

https://www.zoro.com/vortec-abrasive...es/g/00059285/

Note that there are probably better brands to buy - this is just what came up in a quick search.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 7in (I think, it's for cylinder heads) that I made and it works great in the 1100, don't be worried about going bigger.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know that the 1100 can handle a larger fly cutter when needed. I have seen the Suburban version on Youtube before, and that is a whopper. I may try to make my own. All I really need is a shaft 1/2" longer than what the superfly uses.

Regarding the abrasive brush, I would be worried that it would cover the line, but leave a rough finish. The superfly leaves a mirror like finish. Ultimately though, I do think I will need an abrasive solution to deal with blemishes like this when I need a uniformly polished surface. I would prefer a tumbler but that would be too noisy in my situation (garage). So I will experiment with rotary methods I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mines a 1in thick slice of 7in diameter found bar, slice of round bar works really well too, I made it when I only had a Bridgeport so is real basic, works great tho, if you have a 4in or something diameter may try that, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk