Engraving tool holder Nuts - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engraving tool holder Nuts

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engraving tool holder Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Why would you engrave numbers on your toolholders?
    Is a collet holder ALWAYS going to be #1 ?
    What if you need a solid endmill holder as tool #1 on a different program?
    I wouldn't do it.
    Different programs have different tool call-outs.
    Seems strange to engrave numbers on them.
    I've seen many people do this, and I also wonder what the value is.

I don't have a tool changer at home for my 770, but I do at work for our VMC (20 tool station). I have a lot of tools in my tool library, but their numbers are arbitrary. The only numbers I'm concerned with are the numbers on the tool changer.

For example, when I'm setting up a job, and I need to pull tool #30 from my tool crib, where would I put it? Wherever I have an open spot in the changer that's where, and it's number gets changed in CAM.

When I'm at home, I have a tray that holds the tools that I'm currently using. I could see it being handy if they were numbered, but not really critical since I load the tray in the order they are used.

I would never be able to afford a holder for every tool I have. If there is a tool that I use often enough to have it's own dedicated holder, than it's a tool I know well enough to not need a number on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Everyone's circumstances are different, so what works for one will make no sense to another.

In my case, I don't have an automatic tool changer, so there isn't any reason to want to change a tool number from what is marked on it. I use Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM and all my TTS tools are in my fusion library with the same tool numbers as in Pathpilot and importantly all the tool lengths are in fusion. This helps when programming as it can give collision warnings. I don't have to remember to change any tool numbers since they are always the same in all my software. Anytime you can eliminate a chance for human error, it's a good thing. Of course, I don't have an infinite number of tool holders, and some tools, such as seldom used drill bits, don't live in my tool library and get programmed one-off when needed.

But again, what works for me might make little sense to someone else with a different setup and different software.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of us are investigating shrink sleeves, either pre-printed or just as protectors for hand numbering. Update to follow.

The only "Dedicated" tool I have would be my spot drill. It rarely leaves the holder.
    Every other tool gets removed, swapped-out, or shuffled depending on my programs.
    That's why I would never engrave my holders.
    90% of my programming is done at the control, punching in G-code by hand.
    So I don't use or need a Library.
    The only time I use Cad/Cam is if I'm running a complex, 2D or 3D milled part.

On program 'A', I may need to face mill first. Tool #1 is a face mill.
    Program 'B', I need to spot drill first. Spot Drill is now Tool #1.
    On program 'C', I need to slot the part first..So on this program, an endmill is Tool #1.
    It always changes with my programs.
    I don't have 50 toolholders to keep them loaded with dedicated tools, sitting and collecting dust.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    The only "Dedicated" tool I have would be my spot drill. It rarely leaves the holder.
    Every other tool gets removed, swapped-out, or shuffled depending on my programs.
    That's why I would never engrave my holders.
    90% of my programming is done at the control, punching in G-code by hand.
    So I don't use or need a Library.
    The only time I use Cad/Cam is if I'm running a complex, 2D or 3D milled part.

On program 'A', I may need to face mill first. Tool #1 is a face mill.
    Program 'B', I need to spot drill first. Spot Drill is now Tool #1.
    On program 'C', I need to slot the part first..So on this program, an endmill is Tool #1.
    It always changes with my programs.
    I don't have 50 toolholders to keep them loaded with dedicated tools, sitting and collecting dust.
    I have about 30 dedicated holders at the moment and they all get used. The ones I, especially, want numbered are my drills. I use some drills that are similar in size and I use all stub drills so it can get confusing.

I am also only machining my own designs and products, too. So when I run a certain part, I want the cutters ready to go, in the tool table, set up.

If I had to change my tools every time, I would spend half of the time doing offsets.

It is one of those things where the technique that matches the situation is the correct one. I am about to order, at least, 10 more holders but if I can swing 20 I'll get the 20.

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of us are investigating shrink sleeves, either pre-printed or just as protectors for hand numbering. Update to follow.
    Yea I thought that would be possible for TTS set screw holders. Also maybe use a wide rubber band cut to size and super glued then printed with sharpie pen for ER collet holders? Use colored bands for different sizes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    Yea I thought that would be possible for TTS set screw holders. Also maybe use a wide rubber band cut to size and super glued then printed with sharpie pen for ER collet holders? Use colored bands for different sizes.
    The rubber band idea sounds feasible too, seems I have seen some with printing on them??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Everyone's circumstances are different, so what works for one will make no sense to another.
    This is true. I'm not trying to make it sound like a bad idea, just one that I wouldn't get much value out of. I should have said, for me a numbered rack in my tool crib/cabinet would have more value. I have about 10 tools that never leave their holders, but I do find myself adding to that from time to time. And all of my tools are in my library whether they have holders or not so they are easy to find and load up when I need them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    I like this idea, wondering if heat shrink like used for wiring comes in a large enough diameter to go around the nut or TTS collar in white and a sharpie...

EDIT: a quick search I found some 2" dia. 2:1 shrinking, so post shrinking would be 1" is $2.28/ foot .. if 1/2" per tool was used that would be about $.10 per tool not bad and changeable...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer56 View Post
    I like this idea, wondering if heat shrink like used for wiring comes in a large enough diameter to go around the nut or TTS collar in white and a sharpie...
    https://www.imagesupply.com/products...nHchoCR3bw_wcB

I am thinking about getting a shrink tubing printer for other reasons, didnt think about it for the holders. May work out fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another option might be laser engraving assuming you had one or knew someone with one. More and more they seem to be in the realm of home shops.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer56 View Post

EDIT: a quick search I found some 2" dia. 2:1 shrinking, so post shrinking would be 1" is $2.28/ foot .. if 1/2" per tool was used that would be about $.10 per tool not bad and changeable...
    There are two standard materials, PVC and polyolefin. The one you refer to is probably from Insultab, Uxcell, or similar, that's typically a 2:1 shrink PVC. They make several sizes, 1-1/2" has a better shrink range. The wall thickness is very cumbersome, and my experiments suggest that the only way to get a decent ring is to shrink a 1" or bigger band and then hand trim it. Doesn't shrink super tight, either, though that may be process. Net- it may work, but it'll be a hand work job, and a right pain in the butt to do a couple dozen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    https://www.imagesupply.com/products...nHchoCR3bw_wcB

I am thinking about getting a shrink tubing printer for other reasons, didnt think about it for the holders. May work out fine.
    AHA! There's the answer, if the film isn't too thick. AND if you can find film big enough. Max diameter I can find is about 1" for that machine. They have another machine, Datamax-1, for $2K, that uses larger diameters. So this is an answer, but it's an expensive one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JB View Post
    Another option might be laser engraving assuming you had one or knew someone with one. More and more they seem to be in the realm of home shops.
    Paul - I'm hoping to get one in a month or two, in case you want yours marked.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Not for ATC owners, but all my holders are labelled using a portable Brother label printer, then 2.5" (38mm) shrink tube (first cut into bands). I haven't noticed any balance issues at 10k rpm, and it's all removable when needed.

Engraving tool holder Nuts-img_0323-medium-jpg

Cheers, Andy
    UK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12