Small deep cavties and Shrink Tooling

Thread: Small deep cavties and Shrink Tooling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small deep cavties and Shrink Tooling

Hi everyone,

I have been machining some small cavities, .19"x.5" .050 deep, .720" from the top of a part. I've found endmills that I'm happy with, but I think there has got to be a better way to hold them. Currently I'm using long reach 1/8" shank mills roughing with .125 and finishing with .090" diameter endmills in ER-16 TTS holders.

Some features I'm looking to do might need more reach, in tighter spaces, shrink tooling seems like it might be the way to go, and some companies make shink extensions for 1/8" tools for 3/4" shanks, which I could shrink on a TTS adapter. The other option is to machine my own TTS shrink tooling. I've also looked at ER-11 and DA collets, but I think those noses are too large still.

Does anyone have any thoughts to throw in the ring?

Thanks

Trevor

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AsterMachining View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been machining some small cavities, .19"x.5" .050 deep, .720" from the top of a part. I've found endmills that I'm happy with, but I think there has got to be a better way to hold them. Currently I'm using long reach 1/8" shank mills roughing with .125 and finishing with .090" diameter endmills in ER-16 TTS holders.

Some features I'm looking to do might need more reach, in tighter spaces, shrink tooling seems like it might be the way to go, and some companies make shink extensions for 1/8" tools for 3/4" shanks, which I could shrink on a TTS adapter. The other option is to machine my own TTS shrink tooling. I've also looked at ER-11 and DA collets, but I think those noses are too large still.

Does anyone have any thoughts to throw in the ring?

Thanks

Trevor
    Check these out.

http://www.abtoolsinc.com/prod/accu-holds

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small deep cavties and Shrink Tooling

Thanks Austin Machining, These might work, I'll have to get some specs on the nose. I'm waiting on a quote from Pioneer on some extensions for .125 that have a really small nose and 3/8" shank. I'll probably see if I can mock something up with decent TIR before ordering something.

Those Accuholds have impressive runout for a set screw extension.