Stepper driver connector

Thread: Stepper driver connector

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper driver connector

My X axis became erratic today, upon checking the 5 pin connector on the driver, it is toast!
    I thought I saw a post on this in the past but I cant find it now, I would think Mouser or digikey would have one if I knew the ID number of the connectors involved. Anyone have any information on these?

The connectors on both X and Y drivers are discolored, the two lower pins are the worst, they appear to be a bit small to carry the current required?

Any insight on this would be much appreciated..........

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper driver connector

If these are the little green connectors, they are probably copies of the ones that Phoenix Contacts makes. I'm pretty sure the major electronics houses in the US, like Newark, Mouser, Digital, Allied, Carleton-Bates, etc. all sell them. This might be one place to start:

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onlin...Ab2-_AOIp6Bs!/

Sorry for the ultra-long link. If that doesn't work, search Phoenix Contact for PCB Terminal Blocks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Mike.

I wound up going to the hobby shop and getting some bullet connectors and replaced the three output connectors to the steppers, got it going but it isnt permanent.
    I need to rewire all three axes as they are all in various degrees of degradation, I dont think the connector is heavy enough for how its being used evidently??

The connector itself was bad, the leads are all fine on all three connectors.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

So far as I can tell the green contacts on my 10+ year old 1100 are still in good shape. Maybe yours came from a bad batch of clones?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    So far as I can tell the green contacts on my 10+ year old 1100 are still in good shape. Maybe yours came from a bad batch of clones?
    I am wondering if the new series 3 stepper motors draw more current??

I am going to look for plugs and sockets and remove the green connectors and come out of the driver with 3 wires to a plug removed from the driver itself. I thought about replacing the connectors but if all three are in various stages of burning/discoloration I think I need to replace them with something more heavy duty.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

When the machine screwed up, immediately Mach 3 problems came to mind, I was very happy to find out that it wasnt software, Path pilot is still perfect here........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Follow up on the connector problem with the Leadshine drivers, I repaired them with insulated push connectors and short lengths of 16 ga wire soldered to the driver board, hopefully this will take care of the problem for good.
    This post is for other 1100 series 3 owners, this may not be a common problem, but was for me, the machine is just over 5 years old. Just something you might want to check..............

edit: I cut down the existing connector rather than replace the whole thing, removing the three stepper connections on the X and Y drivers and soldered wire leads in place of them, then installed the push connectors about 2 1/2" from the board. I can still unplug and remove the driver if necessary, I just eliminated the high resistance joints.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stepper driver connector-img_0549-jpg   Stepper driver connector-img_0550-jpg   Stepper driver connector-img_0551-jpg   Stepper driver connector-img_0553-jpg  

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

The thing I've never understood about those connectors, at least the ones I've seen - they have round pins, but the contact fingers are flat, making for a VERY small contact area. Then there's the cheap tin plating... Just seems like a lousy design to me.

If you want some good bullet-proof connectors, look on EBay for "aviation connectors":

1Pcs Waterproof Plastic Aviation Cable Docking Connectors 4 Pin Optional SP13

Despite the very low cost, they are fantastic. Waterproof (IP68), gold plated terminals, very secure. I use larger 4-pin ones in my PDBs and ATCs, putting as much as 30A continuous through them, and have had zero problems.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use them to sp21

Downloads
    Uploads

Phoenix Contact connectors burning up are found on a number of threads

a while ago I answered a post when some one wanted to replace a generic leadshine stepper driver with a "Tormach " branded stepper driver

the two of us managed to trace the step & direction connections on the "tormach " drive to produce this -
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/torma...ml#post2107952

the details may help others replace generic Leadshine drivers with "tormach" branded stepper drivers or vice verse

Stepper driver connector-10-pin-connections-3-jpg

John

PS
    more examples of burnt connectors in this thread
    https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/for....asp?th=127744

Last edited by john-100; 07-28-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add PS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    If these are the little green connectors, they are probably copies of the ones that Phoenix Contacts makes. I'm pretty sure the major electronics houses in the US, like Newark, Mouser, Digital, Allied, Carleton-Bates, etc. all sell them. This might be one place to start:

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onlin...Ab2-_AOIp6Bs!/

Sorry for the ultra-long link. If that doesn't work, search Phoenix Contact for PCB Terminal Blocks.
    +1,
    I suspect those are "knock off" Phoenix connectors. Phoenix makes good stuff ($$). Ive used their connectors for many years and their switching power supplies are indestructible, but as i said, $$$.

I have one of Rays PDB's with a gazillion tool changes,no issues, so the connectors he's using would be a great choice and probably more economical.

My Y axis driver broke yesterday, RED led solid on, one pin from the green Pheonix connector was burned, not to bad but burned. I was able to replace one mosfet which was shorted and today I was able to continue my work, the mill worked perfectly all day so far .

I think the connectors on the Leadshine drivers are not original Phoneix, or the design is not correct, I had this issue on a different CNC, with normal NEMA 34 steppers (not 3-phase steppers like the ones on tormach) but exactly the same issue, now ~4 years ago, on a 8 years old CNC which used also Leadshine drivers

Stepper driver connector-green-phoenix-connector-burned-tormach-pcnc1100-y

Stepper driver connector-irf540n-mosfet-replaced-jpg

Stepper driver connector-mosfet-replaced-y-tormach-driver-connector-wires

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine is almost 10 years old and all three driver connectors failed in exactly the same area as yours, the connector is not large enough evidently to do the job long term. I cut the connector into two pieces and replaced the three burned pins with wires as you did and used push connectors from the hardware to bypass the bad section, kind of unorthodox but it has worked for the last few years without any more problems.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Same problem here! I started replacing my burned connectors yesterday.

I am using an XT60 for the power input and an MR60 for the motor leads. The wire leads are soldered to the pads on the rear of the circuit board in the same fashion shown by popspipes. All three of my drives shown signs of burned contacts to some extent. This is in spite of frequently cleaning and replugging the connection. One of the plug connectors was burned so badly that it crumbled when the screws were touched. The internal contacts consisted of two tiny wipers that were burned and had lost their tension.

I also have three drives that have red lighted after burning contacts. I have wanted to repair the FET's but don't know how to test the six pieces on each board. Can you describe the process.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    My machine is almost 10 years old and all three driver connectors failed in exactly the same area as yours, the connector is not large enough evidently to do the job long term. I cut the connector into two pieces and replaced the three burned pins with wires as you did and used push connectors from the hardware to bypass the bad section, kind of unorthodox but it has worked for the last few years without any more problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

show and tell, I am sure there are better ways to do this but it works, I got lucky, it didnt take out the FET's...

Stepper driver connector-img_0553-jpgStepper driver connector-img_0549-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stepper driver connector-img_0553-jpg   Stepper driver connector-img_0549-jpg  
    mike sr