TT1634C Hobbiest Modular Tooling Plate

Thread: TT1634C Hobbiest Modular Tooling Plate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TT1634C Hobbiest Modular Tooling Plate

Well I finally did it and bought a Tosa Tool fixture plates (TT1634C Hobbiest Modular Tooling Plate) and I finally have time to install it. So I thought I would write a review.

Parts list

(5) 8491A742 Press-Fit Drill Bushing, 0.5312" ID, 1" OD
    (2) 13 ¼ long 8975K12 Multipurpose 6061 Aluminum, 5/8" Thick, 1" Width
    (2) 24 ¾ long 8975K12 Multipurpose 6061 Aluminum, 5/8" Thick, 1" Width
    I ordered 1-6 foot and 1- 3 foot for the aluminum bar

(5) ½-13 X 1 ½ long SHCS (I had them here)

I receive the fixture plate in this nice little wooden crate all safe and sound

Originally I wanted to go with 1.25 or 1.5 thick 6061 aluminum plate and I was going to drill and tap some 1/2-13 holes on 3-inch grid pattern. I was going to machine it at work. After looking at the price of the plate and my time and I saw Tosa is coming out with this plate I decided to get it.

And I wanted the plate to be lifted off of the table. I don't like cleaning off at table with blind holes with the air gun. So I went to McMaster and bought these bushings (8491A742). I took them to work and dusted them in on the surface grinder. That were not too bad from McMaster but I wanted them all the same. Not sure how it's going to work out with the bushings, my other plan is to get some bars of aluminum (.5 x 1) and put them underneath as parallels. I might have a few blind holes then. I'll have to see how the bushings work.

Then I also bought some 5/8 x 1 aluminum bars (8975K12), they fit right in the slots perfectly

All nice and clean. LOL

I also had some pex tubing that fit in the front and back channels of the Tormach table

Here is everything installing the table with the bushings on top. Ready for the fixture plate.

Plate installed now and all tightened down and indicated in.

Here is a picture of under the plate with the spacers

Over all I like the plate. It is very nice quality. It has numbers and letters engraved so you can record you fixture locations. You may have noticed that I colored one in. I used white out and I’m not sure if I will do that for the rest. We have paint sticks at work and I might try one of them. I’ll let you know.
    I plan on making some locating holes in the bottom of my vice. I’m going to be working on other fixture plates for it as well. So if I have a flat piece I will machine on that and not on the table. I would like to keep it as new looking as possible. LOL No drill or mill marks please.

I hope this helped. I did speak with Dan from Tosa Tooling when i was thinking of getting it. Great guy. Thanks Dan! I hope to keep you guys updated on my progress and any updates as well.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TT1634C Hobbiest Modular Tooling Plate

Ive been wanting one of these for a long time.

I am very curious as to how your spacers work out. I like the idea of filling the slots to help with chips. Im also very curious on the "rigity" of the areas between the spacers. I wonder if there may be any "harmonics" in those areas that may cause surface finish issues. I dont know and thats why Im curious.

These plates look very nice. Congrats on the new toy and please share your experience with me on these things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I'm worried about the harmonics as well I don't have any jobs coming up right now but maybe I'll try to machine something and check it out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Probably a good idea to do some testing before throwing a needed part on there.

Thanks for sharing!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice plate, but i definitely would have used 7075 instead of 6061. Or at least used 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch thick 6061.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    Do you mean for the spacers? Or the plate?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the post, i think you might have just pushed me over the edge to get one of these for the 770 as i have been looking at them for a while.

Did you have to ask for the black silver oxide treatment or did it come stock? As one of my issues is humidity .... and then rust, so would like it coated. Did you buy any of the accessory packs or other acessories? For the table ?

Steve - i think this table is ground 4140 from memory not aluminium.

Cheers,
    .adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

yes it is "Made from Premium HR Fixturing Steel"

Ya Steve i would have used 6061 if i would have made it from aluminum

No came with the black oxide. Here is the link to the plate on Tosa Tool

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunnerx View Post
    Steve,
    I would make the PLATE out of 1 1/4 inch 7075 aluminum. I'd use 7075 because I know some guys will use short screws and will try and to tighten them with a 2 foot pipe while only having 2 or 3 thread engagement and strip the thread in the plate.

I'd hate to see someone pay $1,000.00 or more for this plate and ruin it by stripping the threads out of it.

I like the idea of the plate if you're doing big work, but if I can't hold 6 parts in one hand, they're too big for me. I like working in 4 and 5 inch vises.

Downloads
    Uploads

First setup on the plate. This is a part I had to machine a logo in for the robotics team that I help mentor.

Some leds on it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunnerx View Post
    Steve,
    For the plate.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.