New 1100 dumb question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 1100 dumb question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New 1100 dumb question

Got a new 1100, is the collet for the spindle an option? I for the life of me can't find one in all this mess they sent me. Trying to figure if its hiding or if they just really want to stick it to me and not tell me I needed one

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 1100 dumb question

If you only bought the machine and did not buy a package, no, there is no tooling or accessories that come with it according to their web site.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....C1100_Packages

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If you only bought the machine and did not buy a package, no, there is no tooling or accessories that come with it according to their web site.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....C1100_Packages
    Yep. A collet is not a necessary or standard part of any cnc. You typically would buy a collet set or use r8 integrated tooling. Obviously most users of tormach use TTS and most of those buy a tooling kit... Which includes the collet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you mean the tts r8, it was included in my 770 with the machine only order about a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can (I did) buy the collet and all your TTS tooling a la carte. The collet doesn't come with the base machine, as others have pointed out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 1100 (15mo old) did not come with an R8 collet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those ****ers didn't include collets on either of mine, and the idiots I spoke with multiple times didn't tell me I needed one either ..... Other than that they have been great, haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to get one in a hurry, I recommend you order the collet from John at Santa Cruz Electronics.

He is one of the California Tormach dealers, and can save you money on shipping over ordering direct from Tormach.

https://www.santacruzelectronics.com/

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Those ****ers didn't include collets on either of mine, and the idiots I spoke with multiple times didn't tell me I needed one either ..... Other than that they have been great, haha.

Machines never come with tooling or tool holders unless you order them. How are they supposed to know what tools you will be using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Same here.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

You obviously didn't buy any TTS tooling with your machine. If you had read far enough you would have seen the machines come with no tooling. The R8 collet is listed on the list of tooling options. I think it's about $20.00.

Since you seem so interested in running Tormach down, everyone knows R8 collets are not included with any machine.

Last edited by Steve Seebold; 03-11-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, I'm just saying it would be nice to let people know what they are going to need to get up and running, they are generally selling to inexperienced people. I happened to have some laying around but I certainly appreciate the anguish of finally receiving your package and not being able to run it because you're short a twenty dollar requirement. A simple heads up would be nice that's all I'm saying, it's not like anyone ordered a machine without talking to some Tormach people in the phone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, I'm just saying it would be nice to let people know what they are going to need to get up and running, they are generally selling to inexperienced people. I happened to have some laying around but I certainly appreciate the anguish of finally receiving your package and not being able to run it because you're short a twenty dollar requirement. A simple heads up would be nice that's all I'm saying, it's not like anyone ordered a machine without talking to some Tormach people in the phone.

So many choices and decisions when I placed my order the tool holding system seams rather trivial. Get everything setup with tools and tool holders only to realize its a ship anchor without good control software. Better now with PP and conversation system. When I purchased mill with mach it was very limited in what I could do being a INEXPERIENCED person with a precision expensive tool. I was so lucky I didn't mill or drill some custom features on the table and let the spirit out of it a couple of times. Then the vertical climb of learning cam-sprut-everest being a INEXPERIENCED person . Your at the foot of a big mountain when your looking for your first tool holder type Much to learn from here!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I ordered my 1100 recently, and didn't talk to anyone on the phone. I spent weeks picking things out, but was kind of disappointed that there wasn't any interaction at the time of order. Having to do a quote first was a little annoying, but it actually allowed me to change a couple things before the final order, so that was a good thing. The pre-picked packages are ok I guess, but don't most customers go a la carte? This isn't a dig on Tormach, just a note to prospective buyers to do their homework because there isn't a lot of hand holding during the process of choosing and ordering a new machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

The TTS R8 collet is not a requirement.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    Actually, I ordered my 1100 recently, and didn't talk to anyone on the phone. I spent weeks picking things out, but was kind of disappointed that there wasn't any interaction at the time of order. Having to do a quote first was a little annoying, but it actually allowed me to change a couple things before the final order, so that was a good thing. The pre-picked packages are ok I guess, but don't most customers go a la carte? This isn't a dig on Tormach, just a note to prospective buyers to do their homework because there isn't a lot of hand holding during the process of choosing and ordering a new machine.
    you could have picked up the phone and called them at any point, they are more than happy to hold your hand if you would like... well, at least they used to be? maybe they changed?
    personally, when I bought my mill I just went with the TTS starter kit, seemed easier then a la carte, and I figured I would use/try all the options and then order more of whatever I liked as needed...

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    you could have picked up the phone and called them at any point, they are more than happy to hold your hand if you would like... well, at least they used to be? maybe they changed?
    personally, when I bought my mill I just went with the TTS starter kit, seemed easier then a la carte, and I figured I would use/try all the options and then order more of whatever I liked as needed...

I called three different times last week and got voicemail. And live chat wasn't live. It took 3 days for a reply to my question. Actually, the reply was wrong, I think. I asked if the mill came with a drawbar and the reply was that it didn't come with a "power" drawbar. I assume my experience was atypical. I felt like I just paid my taxes rather than buy a mill.

Btw, does the mill come with a drawbar?

Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't come with a Power Drawbar, that's extra.

But mine did come with a manual drawbar and the Power Drawbar came with a different drawbar, but you must still purchase collets separately. There is such a wide variety of things that fit in that hole in the end of the spindle that guessing what you need would be impossible. Inch or metric Set Screw End Mill Holders, straight bore collets, Drill Chucks, facemills, etc. ad-infinitiem.

Now the Power Drawbar, that does not come with a collet either.

gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I was only asking about the manual drawbar (and a wrench as well). I don't know how they thought I meant the power drawbar.

This was my question...

"Does the mill come with a drawbar and wrench? I plan on using TTS tooling."

And their reply (2 days later)...

"Thank you for your interest in Tormach and our PCNC Mills. The Powerdraw bar is sold a la carte and is not included in the base model price listed. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I did order the wrench/hammer.

It was a strange week. Half of the prices on my first quote were wrong (like ridiculously wrong). I tried calling, voicemail. I emailed, and didn't get a reply till later that night. I suspect they are still catching up with the move. It worked out though, my order got completed (after a couple of days), and the mill ships tomorrow. Might even be here Friday.

Btw, they did mention the R8 collet in the quote...

"PLEASE NOTE: The Machine does not come with an R8 Collet. If you do not already have one you may want to consider PN 35356."

So maybe some feedback isn't a bad thing. They are a very smart company and it wouldn't hurt to expand that line to something maybe a paragraph long that would handle the majority of first time buyer questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry could help the "Who's on First" shtick.

The wrench/hammer is a very handy tool to have. In the BPDB days (Before Power Draw Bar) that was my main go to tool for a tool change.

Right now Tormach seems a bit my company when we transitioned to SAP (I still think this stands for Silly Ass Program) for Accounting, Billing and Production Control. I just about shut us down for six months. Company ran on Excel Spreadsheets while the bugs were being worked out.

gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast