Vise parallel holders

Thread: Vise parallel holders

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vise parallel holders

I ordered some button magnets from Banggood.com, they are 9/16" x 1/4" approximately, I placed one on each of the socket head screws that hold my 1" aluminum soft jaws onto the vise, it holds the steel parallels right where they are supposed to be!

Hopefully this is going to work without incident at least on aluminum, could be a problem with steel though.

Actually I ordered them twice, the first order, all I got was the empty package?? I think they are stuck to a conveyor in the postal system somewhere. They resent them double wrapped in foam this time and they came thru fine. There was no hassle getting them to replace the order, just a picture and an email.

Mine have a hole in the center of them, I would recommend that as it will aid in removal if needed.

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I ordered some button magnets from Banggood.com, they are 9/16" x 1/4" approximately, I placed one on each of the socket head screws that hold my 1" aluminum soft jaws onto the vise, it holds the steel parallels right where they are supposed to be!

Hopefully this is going to work without incident at least on aluminum, could be a problem with steel though.

Actually I ordered them twice, the first order, all I got was the empty package?? I think they are stuck to a conveyor in the postal system somewhere. They resent them double wrapped in foam this time and they came thru fine. There was no hassle getting them to replace the order, just a picture and an email.

Mine have a hole in the center of them, I would recommend that as it will aid in removal if needed.
    You can accomplish the same thing with an assortment of compression springs.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vise parallel holders

Also a film of oil on the parallel mating face works too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    Also a film of oil on the parallel mating face works too.
    And a film of oil doesn't fall on the floor and roll to the exact center of the base, either.... the only problem I've ever had with that method is that I have to clean up well and avoid nicks and dings. Since my first mento was a fanatic about both, I'm well trained. Not, mind you, always diligent.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is just something to try out, I magnetized them and it worked really well with the steel jaws, these are a bit strong for the job but they dont move and I can clamp all the way closed without any interference.
    I used the oil, and it worked fine on the steel jaws, the aluminum not so much, as the finish on them is a mill finish.

Just something for the old guy to play with ha!

Steve, I like your idea of using soft jaws, when I screw up and cut into them it doesnt hurt so bad, just reface them and youre good to go again..........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    And a film of oil doesn't fall on the floor and roll to the exact center of the base, either.... the only problem I've ever had with that method is that I have to clean up well and avoid nicks and dings. Since my first mento was a fanatic about both, I'm well trained. Not, mind you, always diligent.
    And I thought I was the only one that happened to ha!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    It is just something to try out, I magnetized them and it worked really well with the steel jaws, these are a bit strong for the job but they dont move and I can clamp all the way closed without any interference.
    I used the oil, and it worked fine on the steel jaws, the aluminum not so much, as the finish on them is a mill finish.

Just something for the old guy to play with ha!

Steve, I like your idea of using soft jaws, when I screw up and cut into them it doesnt hurt so bad, just reface them and youre good to go again..........
    A dab of grease will work too.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.