Well, my Tormach finally came in. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, my Tormach finally came in.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Well, my Tormach finally came in.

It IS pretty awesome that she is into it. I am going to start teaching the kids too. I let my 6 year old hit start on the first program and he was so excited.

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad I could help. One thing I enjoy more then pictures of things people make is pictures of their shops used for their craft whatever it is!
    About 10 feet more into the garage is the proposed location of a sbl15 noted before.

Well, my Tormach finally came in.-lathepower-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a photo of the mess that is my shop at the moment. I have a lot more stuff in there too. I am redoing the whole shop so there is crap everywhere. I will post some photos when I get it all clean and organized.

Well, my Tormach finally came in.-17093149_10210749689835733_248897848_o-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Eric!
    Got the machine assembled and moved into place today.
    Now to hook-up the rest of the components.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    This is a photo of the mess that is my shop at the moment. I have a lot more stuff in there too. I am redoing the whole shop so there is crap everywhere. I will post some photos when I get it all clean and organized.

Well, my Tormach finally came in.-17093149_10210749689835733_248897848_o-jpg

Hey eltejano-

What is the date code on your new machines name plate?

Thanks!

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JK13 View Post
    Hey eltejano-

What is the date code on your new machines name plate?

Thanks!

Joe
    04/2016

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is the same date -

Just curious!

Thanks!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    04/2016

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How long did it take to arrive after placing the order?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    About a week

Pretty fast!

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine took over 2. I ordered as the move began. Plus Estes shipping screwed me over by delaying me 5 days more. So it would have been under 2 weeks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 or 2 weeks is cool. I have stuff to do for prep. When you got the quote, was it significantly different than the online prices? Not the machine itself, but some of the accessories?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 or 2 weeks is cool. I have stuff to do for prep. When you got the quote, was it significantly different than the online prices? Not the machine itself, but some of the accessories?
    been a couple years since I bought mine, but quote $ = web $ exactly... just had more accurate shipping and handling if I recall correctly...

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just remember to go rent that Bluebird 1500 lbs hoist, a lot of rental places have these, and a pallet jack. Do not use a normal engine hoist, they dont fit around the cabinet and you will need to put blocks under the stand that will be tricky to remove. Move the Tormach on the pallet close to where you need it, cut as much of the pallet off from the sides as you can. Lift the machine and slide the stand under it. Keep the whole thing away from walls because you will want all the room you can get to assemble the stand. Once its all assembled, move it into place with the pallet jack.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I actually own a 2 ton hoist, and yes, the feet will not fit, but I have seen how to raise the cabinet up on blocks to get the feet under and once the mill is in place, use a large pry bar (which I have) or 2x4 to tilt the stand and remove the blocks. I have a bit of experience moving my Lathe around my garage, which is about the same weight and a pain trying to get the hoist and legs at a decent angle around the stand. Tormach fixed my quote (some items were listed at 3 x what they were online!). I guess they somehow screwed it up. In any event, I am finally pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JK13 View Post
    About a week

Pretty fast!

Joe
    Crazy but I ordered mine on a Sunday night and the machine was delivered that Friday. I couldn't believe it when an 18 wheeler backed up full speed down my (narrow) street with the machine. On Monday another 18 wheeler showed up with the accessories. Didn't have time to finish up the garage but It was a good couple of days. Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll double check??

Looked the same I thought?

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I actually own a 2 ton hoist, and yes, the feet will not fit, but I have seen how to raise the cabinet up on blocks to get the feet under and once the mill is in place, use a large pry bar (which I have) or 2x4 to tilt the stand and remove the blocks. I have a bit of experience moving my Lathe around my garage, which is about the same weight and a pain trying to get the hoist and legs at a decent angle around the stand. Tormach fixed my quote (some items were listed at 3 x what they were online!). I guess they somehow screwed it up. In any event, I am finally pulling the trigger tomorrow.
    fwiw, a nice low profile car jack (aka the one I have for my old camaro) works much nicer than a pry bar/tilting... gives you better better control over the load...
    if you do tilt, just remember, it is top heavy, so don't tilt too far that could end badly...

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    fwiw, a nice low profile car jack (aka the one I have for my old camaro) works much nicer than a pry bar/tilting... gives you better better control over the load...
    if you do tilt, just remember, it is top heavy, so don't tilt too far that could end badly...

I take front wheels off my 2 normal boat anchor- floor jacks for messing with my tormach base. I do a double take every time I $ee one of those cool low profile shiny aluminum floor jacks in a ad or on the shelf.

In fact the wheels of one are setting on bench right now. Last time I used a floor jack was a week ago to drill a 5" hole in 3/4 ply storage platform near ceiling. To run a new pipe for shop vac system. Floor jack and a couple 2x4's you can move the house

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Order is in. That was an exhausting (weeks) decision process. Speaking of Jacks, I saw a toe jack the other day and that would be mighty handy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Order is in. That was an exhausting (weeks) decision process. Speaking of Jacks, I saw a toe jack the other day and that would be mighty handy.
    I bought one of the HF 3,000 lb racing jacks a few years back and it's worked a treat for short lifts of my 1100 and SBL-15. They frequently go on sale for $80 or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast