USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......

Thread: USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......

Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......

Okay, I'm finally at the point now where running back and forth with the thumb drive (even though it's only 5 feet away) is getting old. Not to mention, how many times can you plug in and out of a port before you start to wear out the contacts?

So, I know there has been tons of discussion on this topic and most of it is waaaay above my pay-grade in computer skills, I'm looking for the Cliff Note version or at least a point in the right direction.

With PathPilot what is my best option right now for something reasonably easy to implement and does not require going in and tweaking line code to make it function?

Thanks,
    Awall

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Okay, I'm finally at the point now where running back and forth with the thumb drive (even though it's only 5 feet away) is getting old. Not to mention, how many times can you plug in and out of a port before you start to wear out the contacts?

So, I know there has been tons of discussion on this topic and most of it is waaaay above my pay-grade in computer skills, I'm looking for the Cliff Note version or at least a point in the right direction.

With PathPilot what is my best option right now for something reasonably easy to implement and does not require going in and tweaking line code to make it function?

Thanks,
    Awall
    I have a network adapter and post straight to the pathpilot HDD. Are there downsides to this? It definitely keeps me from doing the USB stick shuffle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    I have a network adapter and post straight to the pathpilot HDD. Are there downsides to this? It definitely keeps me from doing the USB stick shuffle.
    Like this one?
    https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=34705

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Yep! Its a little bit to get set up, and if I remember right, I had to bypass PP to finally get it config'd how I want it. But if you get it, and can't get it set up, give me a shout.

Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a TP Link USB WiFi dongle laying about, plugged it in, followed the instructions for hooking it up to my home network, and to my utter amazement, my mill controller showed up on my list of servers (MacOS). Not sure what would be necessary under Windows, but there are instructions for that in the Tormach WiFi adapter manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

silly question, but why go wireless adapter when you can just plug in an ethernet cable for free? what does buying a wireless adapter get you?
    I just cant help but think these mills are not very portable, so picking the mill up and taking it with you to the bathroom seems somewhat slightly unwieldy...
    why would you need the mill to be wireless?

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To avoid pulling wire/cable through your garage/shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dlm3 View Post
    To avoid pulling wire/cable through your garage/shop.

Pulling wire is easy...
    You sure you are not bringing the mill with you around the house? Works for laptops...

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......

Pulling wire through my attic is not fun. Nor is running it through insulated walls. A $15 dongle saves buying cable, running it, expanding the network hub, any labor if you're a business having to pay someone to run the wire, etc.

The better question is "why run a wire when a USB dongle will do the same thing?" It's not a high bandwidth application so you don't need a 10Gbps wire to move tiny CAM files.

TP-Link TL-WN725N. $9.61 from Amazon. Hard to beat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    Pulling wire is easy...
    You sure you are not bringing the mill with you around the house? Works for laptops...
    I have my computer mounted to my toolbox and drag it to whatever machine I am working on. That way I don't gotta run to get tools and/or run to make changes on the compu. I've got a UPS on here which buys me quite a bit of time before I need to plug back in. Wireless, for me anyways, is just more convenient.

USB Stick, Drop Box, Flying Pigeon......-20170224_092206-jpg