Vertical lines in finished part - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vertical lines in finished part

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vertical lines in finished part

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have tried P0 Q.001, maybe increase P to .001?? this works on the outer contours but on the inner waterline ops it made things worse.

I have a 29 degree fixture and I have it in my head that this could maybe cause it?? Maybe the steppers dont like an odd angle? I am also thinking maybe the computer could be at fault, its a 5 year old Tormach controller??

No one else seems to complain about these issues so maybe its as simple as changing out the computer?
    I have an old Dell 8200 set up except for the mesa card, I just need to try it, who knows maybe it will solve some problems, or create others?? Murphys law you know ha!

Another issue I have with the computer is when running a complicated file (waterline op) 170k lines, it will reboot if I start the press motor or the bandsaw motor ( 1 HP capacitor start), this doesnt happen on simpler programs.
    AFAIK G64 P0 Q0.001 would be a poor choice for contouring because is has 0 path blending tolerance so basically is about the same as G61
    (exact stop mode so _not_ what you want for random contours made up of many line segments)

If you computer crashes under heavy load (and maybe with a power dip) I would suspect it has a bad power supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    AFAIK G64 P0 Q0.001 would be a poor choice for contouring because is has 0 path blending tolerance so basically is about the same as G61
    (exact stop mode so _not_ what you want for random contours made up of many line segments)

If you computer crashes under heavy load (and maybe with a power dip) I would suspect it has a bad power supply
    There are no P or Q values in the code for this particular part,there is a g64, so maybe if I put P.001 Q.001, I can try that, thanks for the info.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Also AFAIK the P/Q values are in current user units so if you are in mm you need to adjust the tolerance to a reasonable value in mm
    (.001 mm is close enough to 0 to make no difference in blending)

Downloads
    Uploads

There are no P or Q values in the code for this particular part,there is a g64, so maybe if I put P.001 Q.001, I can try that, thanks for the info.
    What software are you using to create your tool path? I have seen and tried to work with some of the cad programs out there and have had very little to no success with some of them. One that comes to mind right away is Fusion 360. I got a .stp file for a part from a customer that was drawn with fusion 360 and I had a terrible time with it. I ended up opening it in SolidWorks and saved it as a paradolid .x_t file and everything worked fine after that.

When I had my shop, I used GibbsCam. When I sold the shop, the new owner knew Mastercam so I brought my GibbsCam home with me. I use a post processor for a Fanuc 6 control and make a few edits in the posted program, only because I like my output a certain way.

The ATC wasn't available when I bought my machine 5 1/2 years ago. I still don't have it and I don't miss it. I've read about the problems some people are having with their ATC, and I don't need that kind of headache. Besides, I figured for $4200.00 I could change the tool a whole bunch of times by hand.

I hadn't taken jobs that are more than 25 pieces anyway and about 3 months ago I quit taking outside work all together.

When t was taking outside work, my rule was maximum 25 pieces. If the job was for 26 pieces, I would turn it down.

The straw that broke the proverbial camels back was supposed to be a 20 piece prototype job that turned out to be a 5,000 piece 2 part assembly. That would have made for a 10,000 piece job.

I knew my Tormach is definitely not the right machine for that job.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    What software are you using to create your tool path? I have seen and tried to work with some of the cad programs out there and have had very little to no success with some of them. One that comes to mind right away is Fusion 360. I got a .stp file for a part from a customer that was drawn with fusion 360 and I had a terrible time with it. I ended up opening it in SolidWorks and saved it as a paradolid .x_t file and everything worked fine after that.

When I had my shop, I used GibbsCam. When I sold the shop, the new owner knew Mastercam so I brought my GibbsCam home with me. I use a post processor for a Fanuc 6 control and make a few edits in the posted program, only because I like my output a certain way.

The ATC wasn't available when I bought my machine 5 1/2 years ago. I still don't have it and I don't miss it. I've read about the problems some people are having with their ATC, and I don't need that kind of headache. Besides, I figured for $4200.00 I could change the tool a whole bunch of times by hand.

I hadn't taken jobs that are more than 25 pieces anyway and about 3 months ago I quit taking outside work all together.

When t was taking outside work, my rule was maximum 25 pieces. If the job was for 26 pieces, I would turn it down.

The straw that broke the proverbial camels back was supposed to be a 20 piece prototype job that turned out to be a 5,000 piece 2 part assembly. That would have made for a 10,000 piece job.

I knew my Tormach is definitely not the right machine for that job.
    Steve,
    I use Rhino 4 and Sprutcam 7 to draw and cam the parts, are you thinking there may be something wrong with the drawing? In Rhino it says its a solid, but I have had other parts that Rhino said was a solid that wouldnt cam correctly.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Pops

It may be that you are attributing far too much 'intelligence' to basic CAM SW. None of it is that clever, and it can usually be fooled very easily. What YOU can see in an instant with trained eyes usually remains way out of sight for SW today.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    I use Rhino 4 and Sprutcam 7 to draw and cam the parts, are you thinking there may be something wrong with the drawing? In Rhino it says its a solid, but I have had other parts that Rhino said was a solid that wouldnt cam correctly.
    Does your Rhino Cam output G2or G3 circles or are you getting a bunch of segmented lines? The problem you're having sounds like you are getting a bunch of lines instead of an arc. If I was home, I would ask you th send me your file and I would see what I could do, but I won't be home till Sunday afternoon and back in the shop/ garage till Monday morning.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Does your Rhino Cam output G2or G3 circles or are you getting a bunch of segmented lines? The problem you're having sounds like you are getting a bunch of lines instead of an arc. If I was home, I would ask you th send me your file and I would see what I could do, but I won't be home till Sunday afternoon and back in the shop/ garage till Monday morning.
    I use Rhino for CAD, Sprutcam 7 is the CAM program.
    My buddy drew the file in Rhino 4, I may just redraw it and see what happens. Should those segments be visible if i blow the file up? The transition part is drawn separately (circle and rectangle loft) then boolean difference into the solid part. I will just redraw it and see what happens.

I have made 3 different versions of this part and they all have the lines or waves in the interior waterline cut.
    They parts were ok it is just cosmetic, I would just like to know what is causing it?

mike sr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12