Lost coolant pump power.

Thread: Lost coolant pump power.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lost coolant pump power.

My "Made in China" coolant pump went south, apparently presenting a dead short as it triggered my GFI. Fortunately, my computer is on a dedicated circuit so the job ran to completion w/o a problem though I had to manually squirt coolant. At any rate, the blue smoke must have escaped from one of those components related to activating the coolant pump because even with the pump removed and nothing plugged in to that circuit, as soon as I plug the coolant power supply cable into a receptacle, the GFI triggers. I removed the supply cable from the machine and checked it for shorts. There were none. The machine, an 1100-3, runs without issue. I went through the Operator's Manual's trouble shooting sequence without success. No continuity between wires 202 and 205, and the fuse is good. All is good except if I try to power up to coolant circuit, even with the two switches in the off position, I will trigger the GFI.

I've jury-rigged a coolant so I can continue work, I just have to manually control the new replacement pump (also Chinese, but I'll replace that with a Made in USA pump ASAP.

I must have fried something, any ideas?\

Thanks,
    John

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lost coolant pump power.

If you haven't already done so, try rebooting your computer. Shut it off, unplug it for several seconds and then reboot. Perhaps it will clear the error and allow you to proceed as usual.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

Done, still triggers GFI. One thing I didn't do was to test the power cable while it's inserted into the PNC's receptacle. I tested the cable when it wasn't inserted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Done, still triggers GFI. One thing I didn't do was to test the power cable while it's inserted into the PNC's receptacle. I tested the cable when it wasn't inserted.
    GFCIs do occasionally fail, too, so you might try plugging in a power drill or something and see if the GFCI still trips.

Downloads
    Uploads

Michael,

Thanks, great idea, so I tried in a receptacle that is on the other leg of my 220, same thing. I also tried with the machine off as well as the pump and computer switches. Same thing. The blue smoke must have escaped from one of the widgets.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you running both 220 and 120VAC outlets from that 220V circuit? If so, could that be causing a problem with the GFCI?

Downloads
    Uploads

Michael. yes, that's what I'm doing. I run 4 120VAC receptacles off one leg of the 220 VAC line, and another 4 off the other leg. Several years w/o problem. For now I'll manually control the coolant pump. The old one had developed a short and that fried something, (a relay?), w/o blowing the fuse for the pump and accessory outlets. When I get time I'll wire an external relay.