Tapping head for m3-m4 (1/8"-1/6")?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapping head for m3-m4 (1/8"-1/6")?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tapping head for m3-m4 (1/8"-1/6")?

I'm going to cut a lot of m4 threads (also some m3) for my Kickstarter project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-edc-spinner/
    So far I've been cutting them by hand, but this won't be economical anymore so I'm going to buy a tapping head.
    Do you think I will be fine cutting m3-m4 threads with a tension compression tapping head into 6061 aluminum? The reversing tapping head by Procunier is a little bit too expensive for me.
    Any other suggestions or brands that offer good tapping heads?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tapping head for m3-m4 (1/8"-1/6")?

T/C head will work fine. Make sure you get the correct type of tap.
    Spiral point for thru holes (pushes the chips down the hole), spiral flute for blind holes (pulls chips out like a drill does) or Form taps work great in aluminum and there are no chips.
    Don't use a straight flute hand tap, they are designed to have the chips stay in the flutes and come out with the tap. I've done it in a pinch but have to blow the chips off after every hole so not very efficient.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to use form taps. I'm just worried that those small taps will break with a tension compression tapping head. Do you think I'll be fine?

Another option would be to get a cheap ($170) noname reverse tapping head. Not sure what would be the best option...

Downloads
    Uploads

A T/C head is no harder on the tap than a reversing tapping head. As long as you have enough extra depth in blind holes for the spindle to stop, and reverse, a T/C head will work just fine.

There are three basic options for tapping heads:

1) T/C - the simplest, cheapest and, arguably, the best option in most cases. The only down-side is, as mentioned, you need to allow plenty of extra depth in blind holes to ensure the tap NEVER bottoms out.

2) Tapmatic, or generic Chinese reversing head - These work fine but are kind of a PITA to use. They are quite forgiving, as they will work fine even with non-optimal g-code. Like all reversing heads, you have to deal with securing the torque arm. These heads use a dog clutch, so engagement is rather brutal - they "bang" into engagement, and disengagement, whic can be hard on the tap. But, they do work, and are inexpensive. Tapmatics are smaller, and better made, than the generic Chinese heads, but functionally all are about the same, except for the reverse rate (Tapmatics are generally 1.5:1 reverse, while generics are generally 2:1 reverse).

3) Procunier - the most elegant, but also most expensive option. Like all reversing heads, you have to deal with securing the torque arm. Procuniers use a conical friction clutch to engage and disengage, making them butter-smooth and near silent on engagement, which is much gentler on the tap. The one down-side (other than cost) is that they have NO ability to absorb overfeed. If you over-feed a Procunier, you WILL break the tap, if not the Procunier itself. Therefore, you MUST either KNOW the true spindle RPM, or intentionally under-feed when going down into the hole to ensure you NEVER, EVER over-feed.

I have at least one of each type (generic Chinese, Tapmatic, Procunier, and T/C), and prefer the T/C for most operations. Also, the T/C is the ONLY one that can be used in an ATC. And, it's cheap enough, owning several is not an unreasonable cost burden.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@Ray
    Thanks, that was exactly the information I was looking for. Just ordered the Tormach Modular T/C tapping head set

Downloads
    Uploads

You should be fine with the T/C tapping head. I use the Tormach 32021 ER20 unit which is much cheaper than the 31807 modular unit. Below is a quick video that I made of testing a 8-32 form tap in 1/2-inch 6061 on my 770 when I first got the T/C head. A 8-32 screw is slightly larger than M4. Note that it is very important to use the tap drill recommended for your taps and material!

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a T/C tapping head and I can make it work just fine with holes as small as 2-56.

I have a formula that works for me, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't broken a tap yet.

That formula is:

1 inch divided by the pitch times 500 RPM

Going into the hole, I reduce the feed rate my 10% for taps 8-32 and larger and 5% for taps 6-32 and smaller.

At the bottom of the hole I tell the control:

M4
    G4P.25

Then G1 up at 10% faster than the calculated feed rate.

I can't tell you why, but this formula works. I have tapped thousands of holes and I haven't broken a tap yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I use a T/C tapping head and I can make it work just fine with holes as small as 2-56.

I have a formula that works for me, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't broken a tap yet.

That formula is:

1 inch divided by the pitch times 500 RPM

Going into the hole, I reduce the feed rate my 10% for taps 8-32 and larger and 5% for taps 6-32 and smaller.

At the bottom of the hole I tell the control:

M4
    G4P.25

Then G1 up at 10% faster than the calculated feed rate.

I can't tell you why, but this formula works. I have tapped thousands of holes and I haven't broken a tap yet.
    I fail to see the logic of your 5% and 10% feed modifications. In BOTH cases, you are forcing the T/C holder to extend as the tap is moving, which risks reaching the end of its extension travel. What is the logic there? And what on earth is the logic of using different values for smaller taps? It may work, but makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea why it works, but..

A consistent load or bias up or down might perhaps make sense on less than perfect machines.
    This could take out any slack on z and always downwards ?
    It might eliminate any up/down slack ?

Just comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I fail to see the logic of your 5% and 10% feed modifications. In BOTH cases, you are forcing the T/C holder to extend as the tap is moving, which risks reaching the end of its extension travel. What is the logic there? And what on earth is the logic of using different values for smaller taps? It may work, but makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

The idea is to adjust teh tap feed slightly slightly going down to slightly compress teh tap so that when teh overrun occurs at teh end of stroke that teh tap will be back at center when it starts back up. The end result is to have teh tap center of teh T/C range (neutral) when the tap reaches teh top of stroke. IF it is extended it tends to rip out teh last part of teh thread (spring pressure) and if compressed it mars up teh last thread as it retracts clear.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

I can see how having the tap in tension when it comes out of the hole would be better than in compression, especially in hard materials.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used a form tap to thread 3-48 blind holes in aluminum with the Tormach T/C (basic model) and had no problems at all so I don't think that M3 or M4 holes will be a problem. Don't forget that form taps need a *larger* hole than spiral point or flute taps.

Last edited by MichaelHenry; 02-16-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: corrected technical error

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you certain? The tables that I have seen suggest a LARGER drill for form taps. For example, use a #25 drill for 75% thread on 8-32 . Most charts for thread cutting taps suggest #29 and #27 for 50% thread. See the chart from Balex at ANSI Thredfloer Hole Size Chart | Balax | Forming Taps, Cutting Taps, Thread Gages

KAR gives the formula:
    TAP DRIlL SIZE = Basic Tap O.D. - ((.0068 x % of Thread Desired)/Threads Per Inch)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I can see how having the tap in tension when it comes out of the hole would be better than in compression, especially in hard materials.
    It makes little or no difference. Unless you're really brave, you'll feed up to at least 1/8-1/4" ABOVE the hole to make real sure the tap is clear.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Don't forget that form taps need a smaller hole than spiral point or flute taps.
    Absolutely the wrong advice! Form taps require a LARGER drill, not smaller.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Last edited by SCzEngrgGroup; 02-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why ?
    Dont agree at all.
    Quotes / references / examples please ?

If a tap comes out of the hole with bias in any direction, tension or compression, it will damage the thread to some extent.

Std engineering practice is to allow 2 threads at top, and if possible 2 threads at bottom, as damaged/zero value.
    And 5-6 threads as holding the load.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Why ?
    Dont agree at all.
    Quotes / references / examples please ?

If a tap comes out of the hole with bias in any direction, tension or compression, it will damage the thread to some extent.

Std engineering practice is to allow 2 threads at top, and if possible 2 threads at bottom, as damaged/zero value.
    And 5-6 threads as holding the load.
    Haven't done any indepth studies. Nor will I. As I said it may be preferable to have a little tension so it pulls out rather than be under compression and held in the hole to chew up the first thread. Obviously zero load is ideal, but that isn't reality unless you can rigid tap.

Downloads
    Uploads

Haven't done any indepth studies. Nor will I. As I said it may be preferable to have a little tension so it pulls out rather than be under compression and held in the hole to chew up the first thread. Obviously zero load is ideal, but that isn't reality unless you can rigid tap.
    The ONLY way the tap could possibly be "under compression and held in the hole" is if you don't unscrew it far enough to get it completely clear of the threads, and out of the hole. If makes NO difference whether its under tension or compression at that point - If you move the T/C head up, down or sideways, you WILL break the tap, and/or gouge the top of the part. The programming MUST turn the spindle enough turns, and raise the head high enough, to get the tap completely free, and above the top of the hole. If you don't, it doesn't make one bit of difference whether it was in tension or compression before getting free of the hole.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The ONLY way the tap could possibly be "under compression and held in the hole" is if you don't unscrew it far enough to get it completely clear of the threads, and out of the hole. If makes NO difference whether its under tension or compression at that point - If you move the T/C head up, down or sideways, you WILL break the tap, and/or gouge the top of the part. The programming MUST turn the spindle enough turns, and raise the head high enough, to get the tap completely free, and above the top of the hole. If you don't, it doesn't make one bit of difference whether it was in tension or compression before getting free of the hole.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Obviously you need to screw it all the way out of the hole before another move is executed. The issue is where the T/C head is at in its travel when the end of the tap gets to the top of the hole. If it is compressed the tap momentarily stops moving upward until the compression is relaxed, rubbing on the start of the thread (and doing some amount of damage to the thread). If it is in tension then the tap is pulled from the hole before it reaches the top (also causing some amount of damage to the start thread. Having the T/C perfectly centered when the tap exits the hole is ideal, but can that really happen with without an encoder on the spindle and synchronized motion? There will always be some bias, and thus some small amount of damage to the thread, though it may not enough to affect anything. My opinion is that a small amount of tension is likely to cause less damage than a small amount of compression. Your opinion is that it doesn't. Do you have any data that supports your opinion? Does it even matter?

Downloads
    Uploads

Exactly.
    It is always a bit damaged, unless the tap exits perfectly.
    As we both said.

BUT..
    Compression is much better.
    Tapped holes are raised, from the surface.
    A tap in compression will smooth the end, and the tap will slip over/past the edge of the thread, since it is not digging in but slipping over.
    A tap in tension will raise the edge, create a burr, that will later break because it is small.

Neither matters, real-world.
    Real-world, the surface needs to be sanded/milled/ground if You want it smooth.

A tapped hole is raised by about 0.5 - 1 D or diameter of hole, from the surface.
    Try it !
    Drill hole in steel.
    Blue it with dykem etc (magic market will do).
    Tap the hole in steel.
    Lightly sand with 400 grit (file, anything).
    See ?

There will always be some bias, and thus some small amount of damage to the thread, though it may not enough to affect anything.
    My opinion is that a small amount of tension is likely to cause less damage than a small amount of compression. Your opinion is that it doesn't. Do you have any data that supports your opinion? Does it even matter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast