Lost power to computer today. Everything stopped!

Thread: Lost power to computer today. Everything stopped!

Default Lost power to computer today. Everything stopped!

Has anyone ever had this happen to their Tormach?
    I was running along fine today, when the machine inexplicably 'Burped'.
    Everything stopped in mid-cut.
    Screen flashed off, then up comes the blank screen with "No Signal Detected".
    Apparently, the computer shut off on its own! Yikes!!
    I shut everything down, restarted it. Referenced everything... and about 2 minutes later, the computer abruptly shut off again!!
    Well HELL!!!!!
    So I called Tormach tech support.
    The guy had me unplug the computer and monitor from the Tormach panel outlets, and plug them directly into a wall outlet, with extension cords.
    I restarted, referenced, and lo-and-behold... The machine ran great all day!
    So.....................
    Tech support says I have either a bad outlet, OR the 'computer on/off' toggle switch on the front panel is bad.
    How can I tell which one is funky?
    Does anyone have experience with this problem?
    Any troubleshooting tips?
    OR... should I just replace both the outlet & toggle switch?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lost power to computer today. Everything stopped!

Or it could a loose wire.

I would replace both. When you hear a statement like that from tech support it normally means they have seen both failures.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try checking the mesa and video cards - I've had that happen with loose cards

Brianbonedoc, where are the Mesa and Video Cards located? I'll make sure they're snug.
    I'm pretty sure it's the outlet or switch, since it ran great all day while plugged into the wall outlets.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check the toggle switch, outlet and plug for arc damage and burnt smell. Those components are pretty robust and failure is unlikely and if one did failed I would expect visual signs or burnt order. An external power failure/brown out could also cause this. There was a discussion on this board about external power failures in the past year.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...6-tormach.html

Downloads
    Uploads

After having shutdowns due to external powerline flickers, I now have a ROBUST UPS unit in the base of the machine stand that handles all of the 110VAC functions from computer to enclosure lights. Very frustrating to have the machine shutdown due to a blink form any source.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

My 1100 shutsdown occasionally when I turn on the bandsaw or use the press while the machine is running, both have capacitor start 120 volt motors on them. As near as I can tell the computer just reboots. This happens when running a multi line program, 175 K lines of code, on the simple programs I dont seem to have the problem?? I can run the saw or press without incident........

The tig machine used to deal Mach3 a fit but doesnt seem to bother PP when the 1100 is idle, I dont use tig when the 1100 is running, as it has HF start.

edit: I have 2 ups systems in series, really do not lose power, the computer just reboots or that is what it appears. The power bumps do drop the machine contactors, havent figured a way around that one yet, at least a cost effective way.

Last edited by popspipes; 02-01-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

any one using a computer with out a good ups is asking for trouble buy the bigust ups you can afford. they also monitor power and voltage with alarms take it from an electronic tech
    your computer will never crash due to power

you need the check your wall outlets most likely if there are more outlets in the line they were connected to each other using the outlet as a jumper. this is a no no
    they should be connected with wire nuts and a pigtail to the outlet this way your not relying on the outlet plug to pass current through it to the next outlet
    and its to code
    hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    Brianbonedoc, where are the Mesa and Video Cards located? I'll make sure they're snug.
    I'm pretty sure it's the outlet or switch, since it ran great all day while plugged into the wall outlets.
    They should be in the computer box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RussMachine View Post
    My Mesa card has vibrated loose before.I used a little hot glue and it has been fine ever since. I think you MB has on-board video, so no video card.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    edit: I have 2 ups systems in series, really do not lose power, the computer just reboots or that is what it appears. The power bumps do drop the machine contactors, havent figured a way around that one yet, at least a cost effective way.
    you are running the wrong kind of UPS...
    been a while since I cared about UPS's, but there used to be 2 basic styles, the most common/cheap ones just pass the line voltage through, and when they detect a voltage drop switch over to batteries... does not filter HF noise in any way...

the better ones (for our needs) run off the batteries all the time, and just use the line voltage to recharge that batteries... this is much better at filtering HF noise than the 'regular' type UPS's that just pass noise straight through.... only thing is, I don't know if anyone makes them this way anymore.... pretty sure the cheaper ones have taken over the world...

maybe just try to find a good line conditioner/filter?

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Well, I ran the mill all day today without issues.
    I plugged the computer directly into a wall outlet.
    I plugged the monitor and a small work light into the outlets under the cabinet.
    The work light never flickered, and monitor never went out .
    Hmmmmm....
    As soon as I finish this job, I'll plug everything back in and run my warmup program for a few hours.
    See if it blacks-out again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the PC plugged into a GFCI-equipped outlet? It may have tripped.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As crazy as it sounds it's happened to me a few times, for me it turn out to be the coolant pump,it would shut the machine down and pop the GFCI fuse.

Nope, no GFCI plug.
    My mill's plugged into a dedicated outlet on it's own circuit.
    Installed by an electrician when I bought the mill.
    Only a 3 foot run from the breaker box to the mill's outlet.

This happened to me a few weeks ago but only because of the craptastic PLC door seal (or lack there of) let coolant past it and it shorted out the power switch going to the computer. Make sure your not getting any coolant into your PLC cabinet..

Now I've got another issue!!
    Losing steps in Z today!!!
    DAMN machine!
    Only 3 years old, and already showing its age?