Should I bother with ER16?

Thread: Should I bother with ER16?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Should I bother with ER16?

I'm about a year into my PCNC770 and have mostly ER20 holders. It's time to get more holders. I notice that many of my tools are 1/4" and smaller. I *could* use ER16 holders for many tools, but then I'd have to manage both collet sizes. Is there any reason to use the smaller holders? Without advice to the contrary, I'd tend to stick with one size (ER20), but if there is a good reason to have both, now would be the time for me to do it. Any insights?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Should I bother with ER16?

I had the same dilemma and ordered er16's against my better judgement, turns out that I like them better, visibility is quite a bit better with the smaller holders, and they are somewhat cheaper.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 12 ER16, 6 ER20 and 2 ER32 collet holders.

When I bought my PCNC1100 I bought 6 each ER16 and ER20, 4 each 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 inch set screw holders. Later on I bought 6 more ER16, 2 ER32 holders, a ER16 tension/compression tap holder, and 2 boring heads.

I switch between holder sizes all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    I'm about a year into my PCNC770 and have mostly ER20 holders. It's time to get more holders. I notice that many of my tools are 1/4" and smaller. I *could* use ER16 holders for many tools, but then I'd have to manage both collet sizes. Is there any reason to use the smaller holders? Without advice to the contrary, I'd tend to stick with one size (ER20), but if there is a good reason to have both, now would be the time for me to do it. Any insights?
    It would depend on the type of work you do, even ER11 and ER16 are very useful the smaller Collet and Nut size can fit in places that a ER20 can not go, solid holders are better when you need to have the tool held rigid, so in most cases you have a mix of solid and ER Tool Holders

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I use ER16 whenever I can. ~100 mounted tools total.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

I use only ER20s. It's rare that I do parts that the smaller nut of the ER16 would make a difference. If you do alot of 4th axis work on small parts then the ER16 would be better to have. If I had it to do over I would go with ER16s. I rarely use a 1/2"EM in a collet holder, (or even a 3/8) so the larger capacity is not utilized.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

why wouldn't you use ER16? (or smaller if they fit the bill?)
    what is there to manage?
    I load an end mill once and it stays there till the day it dies... (which unfortunately in my case, always seems to end up being a very violent death... have not had one tool wear out yet do to old age...)

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Downloads
    Uploads

I load an end mill once and it stays there till the day it dies... (which unfortunately in my case, always seems to end up being a very violent death... have not had one tool wear out yet do to old age...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think the tool companies need to have a high regard for cnc machines, does wonders for their sales............at least here.

I have some cutters that date to the 1970's for the old Bridgy, not so for the Tormach, although I am getting better.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    I load an end mill once and it stays there till the day it dies...
    I have alot more endmills than I have holders. Different cut lengths, flute geometry, corner radius etc... 150+ holders would get expensive, and I'd have to find somewhere to put them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I have alot more endmills than I have holders. Different cut lengths, flute geometry, corner radius etc... 150+ holders would get expensive, and I'd have to find somewhere to put them.
    fair enough, but still, is it really that hard to "manage" them? they just kind of sit there when not in use...
    for the most part they tend not to wander off by themselves... mostly...
    and even when they do wander, they tend not to go too far...

NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe "manage" sounds overstressed, but right now I own only ER20 collets and holders so everything fits everything, which is nice. Still, it sounds like the smaller ones have some value so I'll probably get ER16 for the next addition.

Downloads
    Uploads

There have been a few times I wished I could have had some ER11 holders and collets.

I have a couple of jobs that require .010 diameter end mills.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    There have been a few times I wished I could have had some ER11 holders and collets.

I have a couple of jobs that require .010 diameter end mills.
    I would love to see Tormach release ER11 TTS holders. I started out with all ER20 holders but I'm slowly adding ER16 holders as well. I machine a lot of smaller parts, so I use a lot of smaller tooling. The clearance for the larger nut is not the only issue though. I like the smaller holders because it allows a clearer path for flood coolant to get in, and chips to get out. With smaller tools, I run very short stub length endmills and the ER20 (and even ER16) holders just block the work too much.

Tormach, are you listening? I know us 770 owners don't get much love, but since the 440 is now out, ER11 holders would be awesome for us.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could get these and add Tormach's TTS collar.
    https://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holder...duct_info.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I would love to see Tormach release ER11 TTS holders. I started out with all ER20 holders but I'm slowly adding ER16 holders as well. I machine a lot of smaller parts, so I use a lot of smaller tooling. The clearance for the larger nut is not the only issue though. I like the smaller holders because it allows a clearer path for flood coolant to get in, and chips to get out. With smaller tools, I run very short stub length endmills and the ER20 (and even ER16) holders just block the work too much.

Tormach, are you listening? I know us 770 owners don't get much love, but since the 440 is now out, ER11 holders would be awesome for us.
    When I bought my machine I bought 6 each ER 16 and ER 20 collet holders and I have since added 6 more ER 16 collet holders.

Ont thing I did do wai I made some collars that go on straight shank 3/4 inch tools and holders.

I made these collars out of aluminum and I made the holes .003 smaller than the shank of the 3/4 inch tool. Now when I want to use one t will heat the collar and drop it on to where I want it and let it cool. With .003 press fit, there's no way it's going to move on that shank.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of the straight shank tooling. $66 plus the cost of the collar is a bit to spend, but if Tormach doesn't offer something soon I may go that route.

If they sold ER11 TTS holders, I'd buy half a dozen right away, but I really only need 3-4 so the Maritool idea may work.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea of the actual quality but the ones at New 3/4 ER11 95L Straight Shank Collet Chuck Toolholder CNC Mill Turning Tools | eBay are $19.99 and claim 0.0003 runout.