When an Estop isn't an Estop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When an Estop isn't an Estop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default When an Estop isn't an Estop

How many of you guys would be happy if you bought a cnc machine and found out the Estop button doesn't stop the spindle? I bought a CNC lathe (Not a Tormach) and I have been having tons of problems with it and sometimes the machine's spindle will keep running for no reason even after the estop is going. I'm just trying to see what other people think about it and if I am wrong for thinking I shouldn't have to deal with a machine that is a huge safety hazard and has been broken more than it has been running.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When an Estop isn't an Estop

I would certainly expect the E-stop to stop the spindle, and all other functions for that matter. I guess I would be having a conversation with the vendor (or just fix it)

Downloads
    Uploads

It is preforming a feed hold control instead of estop. Estop means emergency stop of course, but another way to look at is is everything stop.
    I try to never hit the estop on the lathe. I always go for the feed hold. If you hit the estop, you have to rehome the machine. So they may be doing you a favor by mislabeling the button. Assuming it has two such buttons and one will stop the spindle. On the Tormach lathe, you can just hit the space bar on the keyboard for feed hold. The spindle does indeed keep going, but all motion has stopped.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The control has an Estop, spindle stop, and a reset button. And sometimes nothing will stop the spindle unless you kill the main power. I have been in contact with the company and their fix is to ignore my emails for weeks and throw a part or 2 at it. This problem has been going on since October a long with other problems prior to this.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like the problems go a lot deeper than just an E-stop. I suggest that you have a couple of choices. If the lathe was new in October, then maybe it's still under warranty. Tell them you want your money back and they can have the POS. The alternative is to rip all of their controls out and start over. You haven't said what machine you are working with, but if it is a large machine vendor then maybe they would take it back. If you are working with an Ebay vendor or something like that, then the best I can say is ''good luck''

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    How many of you guys would be happy if you bought a cnc machine and found out the Estop button doesn't stop the spindle? I bought a CNC lathe (Not a Tormach) and I have been having tons of problems with it and sometimes the machine's spindle will keep running for no reason even after the estop is going. I'm just trying to see what other people think about it and if I am wrong for thinking I shouldn't have to deal with a machine that is a huge safety hazard and has been broken more than it has been running.
    Any machine sold in N.A. should have a NEC/CEC recognized E-stop, The absence of such prevalently occurs on machines of Chinese origin.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If I bought a CNC Lathe, and the E-stop button didn't stop ALL MOTION ISTANTLY, I'd be on the phone with the manufacturer, ASAP!
    You are talking about the BIG red button (E-Stop), and not the Small red "Feedhold" button, right?

Downloads
    Uploads

Another N.A. reference is NFPA79 which covers Industrial Control Wiring and the E-stop should be a Red button on yellow background with emergency stop marked.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When an Estop isn't an Estop-e_stopp-b-jpg  

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a Chinese made machine from a US company and it definitely says "Emergency stop". I have had this machine for 11 months (almost) and it has been broke down off and on for 145 days. This latest problem with the spindle/estop has been going on since october. The company just wants to send parts out (for me to install). I've told them I'm done with the machine and they can have it back but they sent out more parts. I'll wait to see how it turns out before I share the name and the videos of this machine. Thanks everyone.

Downloads
    Uploads

A true estop switch breaks power to all the drive components bypassing any control system.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's just you personally, do what you want, but if you have other people working around the machine, I'd consider it an extreme liability. If you have a lawyer, I would consider spending the few hundred bucks it would cost to have them draw up a demand letter that they either fix the machine so the EStop works, replace it with one that does, or pick it up at their expense and refund the purchase price in 30 days or you will sue them. Legally they might not be strictly obligated to do so but the point is to make them think you're willing to make things expensive enough for them that they're better off curing the situation.

Downloads
    Uploads

How many of you guys would be happy if you bought a cnc machine and found out the Estop button doesn't stop the spindle?
    If the price is right I would not care because I could fix it easily and would not start using it without testing everything first. Yes, it is a safety hazard, so it definitely needs to work as expected, stopping the spindle and motion when pushed.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You could fix all that by installing a $20 contactor in the power line, and add an additional start and e-stop button to control the contactor. Or repurpose existing buttons.

Sorry to here that this lathe has not been a good experience, I was hoping that they would support a decent product line.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim - as my lathe is being prepped for shipping, I can only take comfort in knowing that sin_arm's lathe, while labeled as smithy, is not built by Z-Mat like the other lathes in their lineup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    You could fix all that by installing a $20 contactor in the power line, and add an additional start and e-stop button to control the contactor. Or repurpose existing buttons.

The bottom line is one should not have to bring an imported machine up to the countries standard.
    I could never see, and have never seen a machine imported form Europe etc fail local standards, in fact most I have been connected with go over and above with modern Safety relays etc.
    The problem is that China is indifferent or ignorant when it comes to local regulations, or both.
    Unfortunately they obviously are allowed to get away with it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The bottom line is one should not have to bring an imported machine up to the countries standard.
    I could never see, and have never seen a machine imported form Europe etc fail local standards, in fact most I have been connected with go over and above with modern Safety relays etc.
    The problem is that China is indifferent or ignorant when it comes to local regulations, or both.
    Unfortunately they obviously are allowed to get away with it.
    Al.
    I don't think that the problem is ignorance. The problem is price. A machine made in Europe has a different price compared to one made in China.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I don't think that the problem is ignorance. The problem is price. A machine made in Europe has a different price compared to one made in China.
    But still no excuse for not conforming to the country of destination's national standards.
    Al..

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video of the estop problem

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesnt make sense that the e-stop doesnt stop the spindle. Check for a jumper on the contol board, or the spindle drive that there is a input for e-stop.

Is there a brandname on the control?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    That's no excuse, it's just a matter of common sense design. Our Shopmaster machines cost less than 5K each and they have an E-Stop that kills all power to the machine, besides having individual switches for the spindle and CNC system. Plus you can hit reset on the touchscreen in Mach 3 or the escape button on the keyboard and it will shut off the spindle.

Last edited by instructor37; 01-29-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast