When an Estop isn't an Estop - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When an Estop isn't an Estop

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When an Estop isn't an Estop

Quote Originally Posted by bevins View Post
    It doesnt make sense that the e-stop doesnt stop the spindle. Check for a jumper on the contol board, or the spindle drive that there is a input for e-stop. Is there a brandname on the control?
    He had to swap out VFD's, and the new VFD isn't programmed correctly, and the company hasn't been much help to get it programmed correctly. Apparently the estop commands the VFD to stop the spindle vs. securing power to the VFD. Good and bad in that approach (good: spindle stops faster. bad: if the VFD is haywire, the spindle might not stop).

INVT brand.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    Here is a video of the estop problem
    Obviously an omission by the MTB, if a commercially made machine then the spindle controller should be fed from a contactor, on which the e-stop relay should drop out.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    That's no excuse, it's just a matter of common sense design.
    No, it's not an excuse, but it is a reason. Buy cheap = buy crap, or at least be prepared to do some extra work.

I don't understand people whining over the eBay and every Chinese seller. Stop buying from them and the problem is solved.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    That's no excuse, it's just a matter of common sense design. Our Shopmaster machines cost less than 5K each and they have an E-Stop that kills all power to the machine, besides having individual switches for the spindle and CNC system. Plus you can hit reset on the touchscreen in Mach 3 or the escape button on the keyboard and it will shut off the spindle.
    OH I see. So how is that the manufacturers responsibility? No service from them is a choice they make. They wont be in buisness long with that but the spindle issue is on whomever changed the spindle. If the owner had it changed then its up to the owner to fix it. What am I missing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    No, it's not an excuse, but it is a reason. Buy cheap = buy crap, or at least be prepared to do some extra work.

I don't understand people whining over the eBay and every Chinese seller. Stop buying from them and the problem is solved.
    Because it is a US company that sold it, I paid a premium over buying it direct because I wanted support with it and I figured they would of "improved" the machine and had it made to better specs. I probably paid double what buying it direct for. Tormach is a Chinese machine but it has great support and they had it made to their specs.

OH I see. So how is that the manufacturers responsibility? No service from them is a choice they make. They wont be in buisness long with that but the spindle issue is on whomever changed the spindle. If the owner had it changed then its up to the owner to fix it. What am I missing?
    It is straight from the factory like that, machine is less than a year old, still under warranty (for whatever that's worth)

Downloads
    Uploads

It is straight from the factory like that, machine is less than a year old, still under warranty (for whatever that's worth)
    I thought you had the spindle changed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought you had the spindle changed.
    They sent me a new VFD (which wasn't programmed) to swapped in and try and it was swapped back out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Because it is a US company that sold it, I paid a premium over buying it direct because I wanted support with it and I figured they would of "improved" the machine and had it made to better specs. I probably paid double what buying it direct for. Tormach is a Chinese machine but it has great support and they had it made to their specs.

I am a bit confused...

If it is bought from a US company then blame that company. THEY are responsible for what they are selling, THEY are responsible for that the regulations are followed.

No, I am not saying that everything Chinese is crap, but normally you pay more for what is better made or better supported, even if it is made in China.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    If it is bought from a US company then blame that company.
    He is blaming the company. While it might be "cheap" compared to a Haas, $20k (or so) isn't cheap by many peoples definition.

If you save $6k and buy off Alibaba, you expect crappy after-sales support. When you buy from a US importer, you expect them to support their product.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12