Favorite part setup Post yours

Thread: Favorite part setup Post yours

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Favorite part setup Post yours

Whats your go to setup for making parts? I make mostly small stuff and using 5c collets for small parts is easy to cam and setup at mill. Most Tormach users I see around here make more chips in a hour then I do in 3 days. Used this to test a recent Path pilot upgrade. Like to see what others use most. I see the carve smart system talked about would like to see more of those also.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite part setup Post yours-setup1-jpg   Favorite part setup Post yours-setup2-jpg   Favorite part setup Post yours-setup3-jpg   Favorite part setup Post yours-setup4-jpg  

Last edited by mountaindew; 01-14-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Favorite part setup Post yours

I just finally installed the CarveSmart jaws on both vises last week. So far, I like them quite a bit. Still need to make a few sets of soft jaws to be totally in quick setup mode and will post up pics when I do. Right now the greatest benefit is how quickly I go from inside back jaw, to outside back jaw (thereby clamping 6.5" and larger stock). Steps are machined into all jaws equally, so in around 30 seconds I make the switch - and can switch back with very good repeatability.

I like your setup

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

My favorite is actually pretty simple. It requires about 2 seconds to put stock in, because it doesnt require any accuracy. Just throw in a chunk, tighten it down, and go.

Here's kind of an interesting one though. I needed an angle, and didn't have an angle table or anything. So I machined down a piece of stock to make the desired angle.

Downloads
    Uploads

A couple different ones I use, one is a semblance of a vacuum table that I use for machining wood block games.
    The other is for a RC boat part of which I make several at one time.

I have similar fixtures for different parts, I also use soft jaws for medallions, wheel hubs etc.. most are small parts, about 98% of them........

The reason for the pins in the vacuum block is to locate the stock and I can get agressive with the feed as I make many of these....

The gismo on the spindle is a vacuum recovery for the wood chips, an absolute necessity or you will have everything in the shop covered with sawdust!

The aluminum fixtures are for two sided parts, side a is done in the vise then flipped over, put on the fixture and indicated with a tenths indicator in a center hole to machine side b.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite part setup Post yours-img_6933-1280x853-jpg   Favorite part setup Post yours-img_6934-1280x853-jpg  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Very clever angle workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
    My favorite is actually pretty simple. It requires about 2 seconds to put stock in, because it doesnt require any accuracy. Just throw in a chunk, tighten it down, and go.

Here's kind of an interesting one though. I needed an angle, and didn't have an angle table or anything. So I machined down a piece of stock to make the desired angle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Whats your go to setup for making parts? I make mostly small stuff and using 5c collets for small parts is easy to cam and setup at mill. Most Tormach users I see around here make more chips in a hour then I do in 3 days. Used this to test a recent Path pilot upgrade. Like to see what others use most. I see the carve smart system talked about would like to see more of those also.
    Dude that ratchet wrench... love it. You should grind that sucker down and put some plasti-dip on it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for starting this thread! I need to expand (a lot) upon my work holding techniques so this is excellent! Keep em coming guys!

G

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    Dude that ratchet wrench... love it. You should grind that sucker down and put some plasti-dip on it.
    I keep two ratcheting box ends around my mill (not a Tormach, just an admirer), you can't beat them quick setup and set-down.

I wish I had decent photos to contribute here, unfortunately I don't take enough of them, or own a Tormach... haha. Very cool topic nonetheless!