VFD electrical interference filter

Thread: VFD electrical interference filter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD electrical interference filter

Does anyone know where its located on the VFD?

When I start my bandsaw or press it will shutdown the VFD quite often. If The compressor starts it doesnt affect it, it is 230 volt though, the saw and press are 120 volt.

I would like to disable it to see if it will stop tripping the VFD.

any help or insight appreciated..

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD electrical interference filter

I'm not sure what you mean by ''electrical interference filter'' Sometimes a choke or filter is installed external to the VFD, but I don't think there is anything like that in the VFD. When the VFD shuts down it will normally throw an error code, do you have any idea what the code is? My guess is your wiring is too small to handle the load without excessive voltage drop, or you have a bad neutral somewhere in your electrical system. I assume you are using 220 single phase power to the VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim for the reply.

I dont mean an EMI filter, Tormach sells one of those, the wiring is 10 gage to the mill and 220 circuits, the 110 volts are taken from the fuse box as well, I am wondering if
    the capacitive start of the 110 motors is dropping the voltage enough on one leg to kill the VFD?
    I have searched for something on the VFD, I understood it was a built in filter of some sort that could be disabled, I read about this a couple years ago, a fellow was having trouble in the UK I believe??
    I was under the impression that it worked like a ground fault and could be disabled on the VFD.

one of the downfalls of PathPilot, I trust it enough to do other things beside babysit the machine ha!!

The lathe has a 220v 1 1/2 hp motor and the compressor has a 220v 5 hp motor, neither will trip the VFD but the 110 motors will. I am thinking a call to Tormach is in order.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I've not seen one of those in a VFD, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If possible, try measuring the voltage across the VFD input when you turn on the drill press. That might tell something. I would still be interested in any error code the VFD throws when this happens.

Downloads
    Uploads

There's a removable EMC filter on a lot of VFD's but I think it is to prevent EMC coming out of the VFD, not going in. Its detailed in the Emerson Commander docs which are downloadable but Emerson is doing the stupid 'you must login to download' crap so you'll have to register to get it. As I remember there's a doc specially about interference that is pretty good too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I've not seen one of those in a VFD, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If possible, try measuring the voltage across the VFD input when you turn on the drill press. That might tell something. I would still be interested in any error code the VFD throws when this happens.
    I will check the error code, at the time I couldnt open the door, I was more interested in saving the part, I will try some air cutting and see what happens.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

with the spindle running at MAX it doesnt trip, with the spindle at Max running the program in question, it evidently kill the computer. It doesnt show error on the VFD, it just shuts down more than likely thru the software which I believe is as it should be.

I have the computer on a battery backup supply, maybe the problem is with that, a bit of experimentation is in order...........

It isnt a super big deal as its just a hobby machine but I would like to be able to do something else as the machine runs at times. this will give me something to work on next week...........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Watching the machine running a program and switching on the saw, the computer shuts down PP, then reboots the PP software, it appears that the computer power stays on,it just reboots Pathpilot...

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I will check the error code, at the time I couldnt open the door, I was more interested in saving the part, I will try some air cutting and see what happens.
    If your VFD does have a filter, that would not be the problem, you most likely have a low voltage problem that is shutting down the VFD

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm, maybe try without the battery backup in the circuit? It could be that it is seeing the voltage drop and is switching over to battery and then back to AC power??? Maybe confusing the computer??