1100 Fan Conversion Kit - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1100 Fan Conversion Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1100 Fan Conversion Kit

Mine runs whenever the 220VAC mains are energized. The noise is very low and the fan has an MTBF life 150,000 Hours. For me it wasn't worth the effort to switch on and off with the spindle.

You could likely pickup an output from the VFD to control an SSR to switch the fan. Download the manual for your drive and check for a zero speed output.

gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did you guys route the wiring, if you don't have the PDB?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got an electric pdb, so I grabbed 120AC from that having routed AC to the head previously. A small power brick provides power to the fan and also to a tach. AC was taken from the aux power line in the main box.

The more complete answer is, at least on the 1100, that there is plenty of room in the column to fish 12v up through column and the flex tubing if you have a 12v supply in the electronics cabinet. Room in the flex for 2 16 ga, and about 4 20 ga wires. Then it gets tight. If you don't need 120 in the head, just pull 12vdc up with enough copper to allow you to feed a couple amps. That'll allow enough power for a ring light, too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    I've got an electric pdb, so I grabbed 120AC from that having routed AC to the head previously. A small power brick provides power to the fan and also to a tach. AC was taken from the aux power line in the main box.

The more complete answer is, at least on the 1100, that there is plenty of room in the column to fish 12v up through column and the flex tubing if you have a 12v supply in the electronics cabinet. Room in the flex for 2 16 ga, and about 4 20 ga wires. Then it gets tight. If you don't need 120 in the head, just pull 12vdc up with enough copper to allow you to feed a couple amps. That'll allow enough power for a ring light, too.

Thanks Mr Clarkson. I left enough wire and zip tied it around the wiring harness on top of the z motor, drilled a small hole in the axis cover toward the rear and ran it down.

I caved and order a power drawbar so I made sure to leave enough wire to re run it through the wire guide. I wish I would of gotten some temp reading of the fan before and after just to have a idea. Solide product and amazing at how quiet it is.

Last edited by Djstorm100; 07-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Over the years, I've developed a habit, such that whenever I have to fish a wire thru a conduit or other hard to get at place, I always try to leave a string or rope in the conduit for the next time. Since the fishing usually involves using a string or wire, I just leave it in place if at all possible. I used this habit when I added the PDB to my 1100 when I got it and the string is still there.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, just tape a new string to the wire you're fishing, and you automatically have a new pull string. As long as you never forget to tape on a new string each time you pull something, you'll never run out :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

To Nightwatchman - I'm trying to sort out some issues with my Series II 1100. Your fan shroud looks very interesting. Are you still making it? And if so, how can I buy it? I'm new to this forum - is there a way to message you directly? Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I made my own version of the fan shroud, seems to work well. I'm using a 120mm AC fan.

Watch me learn at www.youtube.com/dataprotocnc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234