1100 Fan Conversion Kit - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1100 Fan Conversion Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1100 Fan Conversion Kit

Curiously, are there any instructions for how to connect the fan? None came with my fan.

Downloads
    Uploads

Instructions sent to the Invoice address: nicere*********. com

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, thanks. I am guilty of checking my email quarterly

Downloads
    Uploads

I was envious of nitewatchman's fan conversion. His is for a 1100 and I have a 770 so I couldn't just order one. Lacking a 3d printer and unwilling to turn most of a 6x6x2.5 chunk of aluminum into chips I decided to make an adapter as a ring of milled aluminum plus some aluminum sheet. I hope to get it installed on the weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1100 Fan Conversion Kit-1024__dsc9085-jpg   1100 Fan Conversion Kit-1024__dsc9084-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

SWEET!!

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

The fan is awesome. I couldn't believe the plastic POS that was on my motor. No way was that thing balanced. G-d bless the Chinese. They can take a good idea and turn it into junk better than anybody else. For power I found a 12 VDC/1000 ma wall wort in my junk drawer and plugged it into the computer's power strip. Works great. I'm thinking of adding an LED pilot light when I have time.

Last edited by jttoner; 02-25-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    The fan is awesome. I couldn't believe the plastic POS that was on my motor. No way was that thing balanced. G-d bless the Chines. hey can take a good idea and turn it into junk better than anybody else. For power I found a 12 VDC/1000 ma wall wort in my junk drawer and plugged it into the computer's power strip. Works great. I'm thinking of adding an LED pilot light when I have time.
    Was your fan a single bolt on one side of the shaft split collar John?
    I think they have changed it on the newer ones, one of the High Schools in the area just got an 1100-3 that doesnt vibrate much at all, at least nothing like mine did.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, yes, that was the puppy. A single bolt, off center, and nothing to counter balance it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I installed Gary's fan today, I love it,I also installed it without taking the motor off.I used the same meanwell brick as he did, I chose to mounted it on the outside of my cabinet behind my machine,I have it plugged into a surge protector along with my computer for now I may change it later,
    Thanks Gary

Ed

Downloads
    Uploads

I received a request for a Fan Shroud that would accept a 120MM X120MM X 38MM fan. This is another standard fan format that is identical to the 120MM X 120MM x 25MM fan I was originally using before except that it is taller. The taller fan is apparently available in 110VAC and other voltages. This is the format he wanted to use and it is available on Amazon and e-Bay. So I now have a taller fan shroud if that fits someone's purposes better.

I can supply the fan kit LESS the fan (in other words you use your fan) if this helps. You would need to verify your clearance to the door switch on your machine. The extended shroud is 13mm taller for a total height of 113mm measure from the bottom of the existing metal skirt.

The photos show the original fan shroud next to the extended fan shroud.

gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1100 Fan Conversion Kit-img_20170316_220956368-medium-jpg   1100 Fan Conversion Kit-img_20170316_221034765-medium-jpg   1100 Fan Conversion Kit-img_20170316_221040062-medium-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Uh-oh. FEATURE CREEP WARNING!

Looks as if Gary's gone uptown on us. The shroud is now two colors!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oy! Who can keep up with these rapidly changing technologies?

Downloads
    Uploads

Marketing Department got involved.

Went with the two-tone paint but killed the chrome grill, fender skirts and tail fins.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Can we add one of these?

Y'know, like you see at the used car lots. Be kinda cool at the top of the machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gary,
    I installed the fan and shroud today on my new 1100 and the fit was perfect!

Works great!

Thank you for the excellent work on this.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the kind words.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got a 12 VDC supply in my Tormach, but I'd like the fan to only come on when the motor is running. Do you think that's okay? If so, any thoughts on how to do this. Is there a signal from the VFD I can use, maybe tie it to a small relay.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Downloads
    Uploads

Sending a PM too (because this is a mild thread jack). The fan in the electronics cabinet of my 1100 is starting to get noisy. I'd like a recommendation on a replacement...and I'd also like to say once again this little motor fan kit kicks ass.

The drop in noise level alone is worth it, and my fan is wired to run all the time that the machine is on. No issues.

Thanks for an excellent and inexpensive upgrade that improves life in the shop.

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I've got a 12 VDC supply in my Tormach, but I'd like the fan to only come on when the motor is running. Do you think that's okay? If so, any thoughts on how to do this. Is there a signal from the VFD I can use, maybe tie it to a small relay.
    The fan just isn't that loud. Let it run all the time. You might pick off the 120vl from the auto-coolant line to run the fan relay only when you're cutting, if you absolutely must turn the fan on and off. That's not an optimal answer, though, for several reasons. And, yeah, there's probably a way to grab a control line from the VFD, too- check the VFD manual (Emerson Commander on my 1100). But, again, why? Running the fan full time is a non-problem that doesn't need a solution, based on the one I've got.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    The fan just isn't that loud. Let it run all the time. You might pick off the 120vl from the auto-coolant line to run the fan relay only when you're cutting, if you absolutely must turn the fan on and off. That's not an optimal answer, though, for several reasons. And, yeah, there's probably a way to grab a control line from the VFD, too- check the VFD manual (Emerson Commander on my 1100). But, again, why? Running the fan full time is a non-problem that doesn't need a solution, based on the one I've got.
    Thanks. I'll follow your advice and run it all the time.

"You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast