Renishaw Probe - Page 6

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Renishaw Probe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Renishaw Probe

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    It is possible to machine a custom rubber boot. There are companies that specialize in this, they take a solid rubber blank and freeze it, then machine it before it thaws out. I used a shop about 10 years ago for a some short run custom boot, worked well. Might be fun to try.

I had no idea that could be done............logical though, but one would have to be super fast or maybe its done in a controlled enviornment, interesting...

The problem would be that it would have to be an inert material at least as far as the oil is concerned, hten the type of oil to fill the probe with, coolants proof etc......

something to think about for a winter project..........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

It would definitely be feasible to make an aluminum form on a CNC lathe, or better yet using the Tormach mill as a vertical lathe. This form would them be dipped into liquid silicone rubber as many times as you want to create the desired thickness. My Renishaw probes have quite thin rubber boots with very good flexibility to prevent restricting any movement of the stylus. This is not a difficult project but it does require knowing what the required shape for the rubber boot should be for a specific probe. I can provide numbers for the TP1A, which is what my three (actually, now two since I gave one to a friend) probes are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting! It should be easy to make the pattern. Can you suggest a specific brand/source of liquid silicone rubber that would be suitable? Do you need a release agent on the pattern?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Interesting! It should be easy to make the pattern. Can you suggest a specific brand/source of liquid silicone rubber that would be suitable? Do you need a release agent on the pattern?
    I made 2 part silicone pushrod boots for my model boats back in the early 70's the 2 part mold was aluminum and I didnt need a release agent that I remember. I also made a mold of brass, worked fine with silicone, not so good with tire rubber, still on there today! I did learn a bit about the vulcanizing process ha!

The biggest problem was getting the air bubbles out of the mixture, even with vacuum it wa a bit hit and miss.

Silicone rubber is impervious to lots of compounds and liquids but not petroleum products, mineral oil I dont know.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Since this is apparently a problem for a number of people on CNC-zone, just today I contacted someone local (about 30 minutes away) whom I have known for decades who has exactly the same problem, about trying to use my proposed solution. So at this time I can only reply, please stay tuned for further information. This also means that I should eventually be able to supply an appropriate profile for the TP1S rubber boot since I have 2 fully intact probes. I also wanted to point out an error in my above post - my probes are actually the Renishaw TP1S rather than TP1A as I had originally misstated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made an aluminum ,core/cavity mold for a liquid tight rubber boot a few years ago. I used platinum cured silicone made by dragon skin (I think ). You can get it in different durometers. I used a large syringe to inject the silicone into the mold. It took some muscle to inject, but It worked out great even without a vacuum pump to de gas the silicone . There were a few tiny air bubbles in the boot, but didn't affect performance.

Downloads
    Uploads

For some clarification: The method that I suggested does not require a two part mold, but rather a single part mold that is dipped into the silicone rubber much like the way that latex rubber gloves are actually made. The cured thickness can be increased by using multiple dippings, if required. I should be able to determine the thickness of the rubber boots on my Renishaw probes by comparing measurements to a probe that lacks the rubber boot. The rubber boot is mounted in such a way that I cannot make a direct measurement of the thickness, but away from the stylus mounting plane I can measure the OD of the armature plus rubber boot, and then make the same measurement on a probe lacking a rubber boot to determine 2 times the thickness of the boot. That boot is *very* flexable to prevent stiffening and the stylus movements in the X, Y or Z directions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renishaw Probe

I sent an email to Renishaw with a picture of my probe front
    They replied that judging from my photo, the inner diaphragm is OK. I assumed that the inner diaphragm was an inner rubber boot, but the Renishaw reply seems to indicate that it’s the metal cone at the base of the threaded probe receptacle. Does this jive with other’s info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the MP3 here and it has two boots in it, the inner one is smaller and appeared to clamp the outer portion of the boot in place with the screwed down ring/flange that you see in your picture, the outer boot is more of a dust cover to protect the inner boot and keep out debris.

The MP3 I purchased had both boots shot and I couldnt tell by the pieces if there were two of them or not. The probe didnt work either so I sent it back. I took the end cap off my working MP3 and the outer boot is readily accessible as it fits over the outside of the probe body and the boss that the stylus screws into, upon removing it there was an inner boot visible, it was held in place by the flange with the screws in it and fits over the stylus boss.

The second probe that I sent back had the black ball with the three metal pins that I see in your picture visible. in my working probe just removing the outer boot those are not visible.

In talking to the Renishaw service person, did yiu ask the price/availability of repair boots or what it would cost to repair them?

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

The “outer diaphragm kit” is $100. In the MP11 manual (Page 1-16)
    http://resources.renishaw.com/downlo...ta=11039&btn=1

it says the “inner diaphragm” can only be replaced at a service center (cost unknown). At this point it looks like the email reply I got from Renishaw doesn’t jive with reality. I’ve emailed them further questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lens 42,

It looks as if your probe only has one boot on the stylus end, mine has two. I like the detailed drawings (PP 16 17) the way it looks the one boot holds the oil in, so maybe the service guy was on target after all?? 100 bucks is still a bit pricey but if it fixes the problem, maybe not too much..............

Keep us posted as to the outcome of this, very interested here.....+

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the drawing of the MP3 I have and there are two boots in it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renishaw Probe-mp3-boot-diagraphm-png  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I got to talk to a technician at Renishaw on the phone. The first reply I got (from sales) appears to be wrong. There *are* supposed to be 2 rubber boots. Even though the inner boot is not supposed to be user replaceable, he checked to see if they had one I could buy, but came up empty because the MP11 has been out of production for quite a while. I shudder to think what it would have cost, but that issue is now moot. I guess the options I have now are #1) Use it as is until it dies, #2) Try to fit on a baby bottle nipple, #3) Spend the $100 for the outer boot. #3 seems out if it means the probe will not be fully restored, I guess I'll take a crack at #2. The tech was pretty helpful saying that mineral oil would do a decent job of replacing the magic stuff they use if I'm just trying to keep it going, but that still means getting at least a passable seal.

Downloads
    Uploads

I brought up the PDF file on the MP 11 and it shows 2 boots, The baby bottle nipple I believe would work or something similar. I would keep an eye out on ebay for another one that has the boots intact, some of those are cheaper than a service center overhaul. evidently some coolants ruin the boots over time.

There are a couple on there now for 250 dollars, and a couple for 550 that are new condition (MP 3). I would ask questions as to the boot condition and if they work and the return policy if it doesnt.

Brian Bone Doc uses his without the boots and it seems to work fine MP 3 version.

PDF drawing below of the MP 11.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renishaw Probe-mp-11-renishaw-probe-drawing-png  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a boot repair on my MP11 using baby bottle nipples if anyone is interested. I of course don't have any long term indication of how this will work, but it seems OK so far. Rather than fill up a post, I put the gory details here:
    https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...mill/#more-902

I'll be adding to it, as I do the electrical stuff and whatever else comes up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    I did a boot repair on my MP11 using baby bottle nipples if anyone is interested. I of course don't have any long term indication of how this will work, but it seems OK so far. Rather than fill up a post, I put the gory details here:
    https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...mill/#more-902

I'll be adding to it, as I do the electrical stuff and whatever else comes up.
    Nice documentation Lens42!

I went to your site and what you did looks very professional.
    I know the probe has an infrared transmitter, how are you interfacing that to the machine?

a side note: there is another one on ebay for 189.00

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine doesn’t have IR, just a 4 pin connector. Did the IR transmitter plug into the connector? Next, I will be making up a cable to plug in to the Tormach. There seems to be enough electrical info in the manual to make that work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine doesn’t have IR, just a 4 pin connector. Did the IR transmitter plug into the connector? Next, I will be making up a cable to plug in to the Tormach. There seems to be enough electrical info in the manual to make that work.

I have the MP 3 and it just plugs into the Tormach probe socket with a cable and works fine. The MP 3 is about 3" in diameter, rather huge. I dont use the interface box, they say that its a bit more accurate using it.

I think the one on Ebay had the IR transmitter on it, sorry about the confusion.

I have used mine for awhile now and its right on, you will really like yours I am sure, professional quality and no maintenance required.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

For those following, here is likely the final edition of the MP11 saga. It now includes the electrical info and some notes on adjustment. I got it dialed in to 0.0002 and am pretty satisfied.
    https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...-tormach-mill/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For those following, here is likely the final edition of the MP11 saga. It now includes the electrical info and some notes on adjustment. I got it dialed in to 0.0002 and am pretty satisfied.
    https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...-tormach-mill/
    Thanks for posting this. I have the same probe but haven’t had time to get it hooked up. This will help a lot.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast