Renishaw Probe - Page 5

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Renishaw Probe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Renishaw Probe

I bid on a Renishaw MP3 today and got it in a few minutes, (less than half the listing price), 142.00 delivered. Need a new project, I figure I should have a spare. I was very impressed with how the first one works!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

brianbonedoc said:

"My boot was pretty much in tatters when I received my probe - so I just removed it all. Doesn't affect the probe as far as I can tell."

You should replace that boot. The Renishaw probes contain an oil that prevents oxidation of the contacts and that boot keeps the oil in and foreign material out of the probe internals. The backlash of Renishaw probes when used with their interface boxes is far below the resolution of the Tormach lead screw movements (i.e. well under 0.1 mils).

Downloads
    Uploads

The one I have is very accurate and quickly finds hole centers which is mainly what I use it for.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a word of advise on buying one of these from Ebay.

Ask for the condition of the rubber boot as it holds the oil in as well as the dirt out as mentioned in an earlier post.
    Also if it has been tested to work properly.
    Sending one in for repair costs in the 600+ to 900 dollar range for an exchange, bit pricey for a hobby machine for my use anyway.
    I just bought one for a project and the boot was destroyed and the oil leaked out, so I connected it up to the machine and it didnt work either, returned it with no hassle other than reboxing and a trip to the P.O.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

For those putting Renishaw probes on a Tormach, I was able to make a very serviceable probe mount for an MP11 from a TTS machinable blank, which is less than $20: (https://www.tormach.com/store/index....02&portrelay=1

The below photo shows an uncut blank on the left. I mounted the TTS shank in a 5C collect on my lathe and had at it until it turned into the piece in the center. The old holder on the right was the source for all the critical dimensions. Its not super precision since you have to adjust everything anyway. Bottom picture shows it put together, though I haven't gotten around to tweaking it in yet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renishaw Probe-img_8727-jpg   Renishaw Probe-img_8729-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

lens42

Nice project! Thanks for the info.
    Is the MP11 a hard wired probe that can be connected to the Tormach?
    Keep us informed of your progress, I think they are a very nice addition to the Tormach.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, a very slick looking probe!

I took a slightly different approach since I wanted a wireless (IR) link between my Renishaw and the Tormach. This meant needing room for the battery + electronics while minimizing lost Z-axis room. Since I had one, I used a TTS to boring head adapter. Probe power is controlled by a mercury switch that turns things on when the probe tip is facing down. A timeout puts the electronics on standby after a period of inactivity. The IR receiver is housed in the trapezoidal shaped enclosure which is mounted to the front of the Tormach cabinet. The IR receiver is behind the clear window on the left and an i2c connected OLED displays status info on the front behind the black bezel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renishaw Probe-_dsc2985-jpg   Renishaw Probe-_dsc2986-jpg   Renishaw Probe-_dsc2988-jpg   Renishaw Probe-_dsc9784-jpg  

Renishaw Probe-_dsc9782-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Kstrauss

Very professional looking!!
    I use the MP3 with a cable to connect to the machine. I admire your ability to get the IR system up and running. I wonder did you use an existing IR receiver and transmitter electronics or design your own? The enclosures are really nice!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Kstrauss

Very professional looking!!
    I use the MP3 with a cable to connect to the machine. I admire your ability to get the IR system up and running. I wonder did you use an existing IR receiver and transmitter electronics or design your own? The enclosures are really nice!
    Thanks for the kind words!

The IR transmitter is just a transistor plus IR LED. The IR receiver is the ubiquitous TSOP38238 chip that is often used in TV remotes. For less than $2 you get the IR sensor plus a 38KHz filter plus automatic gain control. Both transmitter and receiver are Arduino (actually Pro Trinket) based. The OLED displays cute graphics to show the receiver state: looking for probe signal, probe signal acquired, probe tripped and probe powering down.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!

The IR transmitter is just a transistor plus IR LED. The IR receiver is the ubiquitous TSOP38238 chip that is often used in TV remotes. For less than $2 you get the IR sensor plus a 38KHz filter plus automatic gain control. Both transmitter and receiver are Arduino (actually Pro Trinket) based. The OLED displays cute graphics to show the receiver state: looking for probe signal, probe signal acquired, probe tripped and probe powering down.
    I think I basically understand how youre doing it- very basic understanding ha!
    I was concerned about the current thru the probe contacts as mine is basic mechanical switching, 2.5 mills measured thru the probe contacts.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that keeping the current low is greatly preferable. In my case it is about 0.5 mill and I was thinking of adding an opamp to keep it much lower.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that keeping the current low is greatly preferable. In my case it is about 0.5 mill and I was thinking of adding an opamp to keep it much lower.
    I think that with the renishaw interface box there is no current drawn, it trips just before the break.

At my age I dont think I need to worry about it, as the probe will outlast me, but it would be a nice project, at least the TX part, use it similar to a preamp stage??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renishaw Probe

My Renishaw MP11 boot is shot. I took off the front cover and cleaned out the rubber fragments, but I’m not sure if only the outer diaphragm or both outer and inner diaphragms are shot. All I have are bits of rubber and can’t tell what they were. I can see the contact pins behind a central cone. Attached is a photo of what I see after cleaning out the rubber bits. Can any of the Renishaw experts tell me if the outer diaphragm kit is all I need? I don’t know what the “inner diaphragm” looks like. From what I’ve read, The inner diaphragm can’t be user replaced, so if that’s disintegrated, I’m SOL. The outer one is bad enough at $100, but if that gets me going l’ll pay it. I just don’t want to pay $100 and still not have a fixed probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    My Renishaw MP11 boot is shot. I took off the front cover and cleaned out the rubber fragments, but I’m not sure if only the outer diaphragm or both outer and inner diaphragms are shot. All I have are bits of rubber and can’t tell what they were. I can see the contact pins behind a central cone. Attached is a photo of what I see after cleaning out the rubber bits. Can any of the Renishaw experts tell me if the outer diaphragm kit is all I need? I don’t know what the “inner diaphragm” looks like. From what I’ve read, The inner diaphragm can’t be user replaced, so if that’s disintegrated, I’m SOL. The outer one is bad enough at $100, but if that gets me going l’ll pay it. I just don’t want to pay $100 and still not have a fixed probe.

I bought one that had 2 bad boots, I couldnt determine what they looked like. One of the guys on here mentioned a baby bottle nipple, might be worth a try. The one I bought didnt have continuity between the contacts, I connected it to the macchine and it didnt work so I sent it back, there were pieces of two boots, one looked like a shield of some sort, the one that keeps the oil in the probe was gone too. I guess some of the coolants used are destructive to the boots??

I wont buy another one without pics of the boots and a guarantee that it works...........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Curiosity got the best of me, I took off the cover piece and the outer boot had a small tear in it that I didnt see originally. There are two boots, an inner and an outer, my inner one is fine visually and there is no oil leakage, I "superglued" the small tear carefully and reassembled it. I believe the outer one is just a debris/coolant boot, the inner one keeps the oil in the proble.

You have to realize that this is just a rookie observation, so take it with a grain of salt.................

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renishaw Probe

Mine looks like this and works fine (MP3)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies. So it seems like both diaphragms are gone. All the rubber bits I pulled out were brittle little pieces. $100 for the outer boot is probably a dumb idea if the inner one is gone. I guess I’ll try to hack something for a boot. Any idea what the oil in there is/was?

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have any info you'd like to share on this, I would be happy to receive.

Yes, a very slick looking probe!

I took a slightly different approach since I wanted a wireless (IR) link between my Renishaw and the Tormach. This meant needing room for the battery + electronics while minimizing lost Z-axis room. Since I had one, I used a TTS to boring head adapter. Probe power is controlled by a mercury switch that turns things on when the probe tip is facing down. A timeout puts the electronics on standby after a period of inactivity. The IR receiver is housed in the trapezoidal shaped enclosure which is mounted to the front of the Tormach cabinet. The IR receiver is behind the clear window on the left and an i2c connected OLED displays status info on the front behind the black bezel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies. So it seems like both diaphragms are gone. All the rubber bits I pulled out were brittle little pieces. $100 for the outer boot is probably a dumb idea if the inner one is gone. I guess I’ll try to hack something for a boot. Any idea what the oil in there is/was?

I think Keen researched this for the probes he makes......... I am putting a plastic bag over mine when in storage with the stylus pointing up as there were a few small chips laying on the boot when I took the cover cap off.
    If it works OK I would store it in a dust free container or similar.
    I was thinking maybe make a mold for the inner boot, a lot or most on ebay have the boots shot, and the cost of a rebuilt one is a bit prohibitive at least for my use.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    ...I was thinking maybe make a mold for the inner boot...
    It is possible to machine a custom rubber boot. There are companies that specialize in this, they take a solid rubber blank and freeze it, then machine it before it thaws out. I used a shop about 10 years ago for a some short run custom boot, worked well. Might be fun to try.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast