Need Help! PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue

Thread: PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue

Unhappy PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue

After running a setup for 2 hours my power drawbar stopped closing the collet for some odd reason during tool change, if I press the lock button on the pendant or the foot switch the collet closes fine. If I change a tool using PathPilot, the collet doesn't close which then drops my tool after tool change. When i press the collet close button under ATC tab it doesn't close the collet at all? Any idea anyone.. broke 2 endmill and ruin a part already. thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue

I would check the wiring between the PDB circuit board (in the little box on the top of the mill head) and the ATC Controller (in the back of the column) and make sure everything it plugged in (The RJ11 cable going from DB3 at the PDB controller to J5 on the ATC controller). If so, unplug the wire and check continuity between pins.

Sounds like an electrical connection problem.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have the ATC on my 1100, and after some stories I have read like this one, I'm glad I don't.

The ATC wasn't available when I bought my machine. It came about 4 months later. But I had already decided for $4200.00 I could change the tool a whole bunch of times by hand, and after 5 1/2 years, I have not regretted my decision.

And I still run the Mach III operating system.

Downloads
    Uploads

For a counterpoint, I've had a few issues and broken tools with my beta PDB and ATC and yet still wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

It sounds like the problem is electrical in that somehow the PDB control board isn't getting the drawbar signal for some reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I don't have the ATC on my 1100, and after some stories I have read like this one, I'm glad I don't.

The ATC wasn't available when I bought my machine. It came about 4 months later. But I had already decided for $4200.00 I could change the tool a whole bunch of times by hand, and after 5 1/2 years, I have not regretted my decision.

And I still run the Mach III operating system.
    My ATC has more than 50,000 changes on it based on only one of the parts we run alone.

Lets see $4200/50,000 = $0.084 per change.

Yeah, I would do it again.

Had to replace a couple of worn out fingers, realign several times and go through a bag or two of a 100 nylon bolts but overall it has been great and I don't have to be standing there when it is time to change tools. I can change bolts in under 2 minutes, looks like a NASCAR tire change from the side.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    My ATC has more than 50,000 changes on it based on only one of the parts we run alone. ...
    Gary:

Based on your self portrait you could certainly use all of the rest that your ATC provides for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm from East Tennessee where you go to family reunions to pickup chicks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm from East Tennessee where you go to family reunions to pickup chicks!
    Me and my oldest son.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue-twins-pictures-jpg  

Sorry for the reply and thanks helping out. Looks like i may have found the problem, see attached images. Looks like the solder pad on PCB may have lift and doesn't have any contact on the board, I can wiggle the telephone jack and the actual solder part is actually moving. I'll try to bypass the solder part temporarily until i get a replacement part.

PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue-20161201_21a_resize-jpg
    PCNC1100 Power drawbar issue-20161201_215434_resize-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear you found it. I figured it was a connection issue.
    BTW I too have a beta PDB and ATC, been running weekly since installed, yes many years. They just keep on running. It's nice to be able to cut material or do assembly while the machine continues to crank out parts.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

My ATC has more than 50,000 changes on it based on only one of the parts we run alone.

Lets see $4200/50,000 = $0.084 per change.

Yeah, I would do it again.

Had to replace a couple of worn out fingers, realign several times and go through a bag or two of a 100 nylon bolts but overall it has been great and I don't have to be standing there when it is time to change tools. I can change bolts in under 2 minutes, looks like a NASCAR tire change from the side.

gary
    Just curious, do you change the bolts on a schedule, upon inspection or do you wait for a failure?

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

I usually just replace when an "event" strips or breaks them.

I have found that if I run for extended periods (days) without referencing the carousel the rotation seems to develop and error and the tool change will fail. It's not a big deal unless dropping the cutter chips an edge. I buy the screws from McMaster-Carr and they are really cheap.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I've shared this elsewhere but figure I'll chime in here too.

I changed the nylon bolts to 1/2" longer versions, and use nylon nuts on them. When an event happens (which is rare), the longer bolts/nuts keep everything together so the tool doesn't fall out of the ATC forks. It strips the nut or bolt, but no big deal. Simply pull the tool out, clean things up, replace the bolts/nuts and go again. I'd guess I have an event maybe once every 1,500-2,000 tool changes, and likely less. If I ever take the time to properly adjust the controls on the air cylinder so that tool tray doesn't (almost slam) into place every now and again, I'd bet that number would go to 10,000+

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Which McMaster # for the screws you use?
    Thank you!

I usually just replace when an "event" strips or breaks them.

I have found that if I run for extended periods (days) without referencing the carousel the rotation seems to develop and error and the tool change will fail. It's not a big deal unless dropping the cutter chips an edge. I buy the screws from McMaster-Carr and they are really cheap.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I have used both 16mm and 20mm. The 20 mm are a little easier to install for me.

I have used about half a bag of each in the last 4 years. This includes replacing screws after an "event" and a few wholesale replacements of all the screws.

The screws are basically a fuse to prevent worse things from occurring. I also just install the screws snugged and not really overly tight. This will allow the ATC finger to align as the TTS tool enters the spindle, I run the PBD very tight so the tool shank enters the spindle collet with some drag, The top ends of the holders are radiused to ease the alignment and entry of the holder into the spindle. I am sure that this also contributes to future bolt failures but I have very little trouble with tool pullout, a very rare occurrence.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library...99602a520l.gif
    https://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library...99602a525l.gif

https://www.mcmaster.com/#99602a525/=15bpruz
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#99602a520/=15bpsei