Rapid Turn: Setting work and tool offsets (again!)

Thread: Rapid Turn: Setting work and tool offsets (again!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rapid Turn: Setting work and tool offsets (again!)

Hi,

I can't get my head around X and Z axis tool offsets in conversational mode when the work offset is changed; this with the Rapid Turn's QCTP.

In the RT manual (section 4.1.5 onwards) the procedure is as follows:

1. Start with an empty tool table (click 'Reset Tool') then using an empty tool holder touch-off the workpiece and enter the appropriate values for X and Z in the DRO section of the screen.
    2. Mount the first tool (say tool 1, a RH turning tool_ and touch-off for X and Z, but using the 'Touch X' and 'Touch Z' buttons on the offset screen for tool 1. This sets the tool-length offset for tool 1 (compared to the empty holder)
    3. Mount subsequent tools and enter their X and Z offsets to add each record to the tool table.

So, this is fine for the workpiece as originally set. My problem is what happens when the work offset is changed, say when the workpiece is removed from the chuck, turned around and you need to machine the other end? There's always a 'live' tool shown (i.e. the last one used) so if I swap the tool-holder for the empty one and touch-off the workpiece to set a new work offset (zero), it affects the offset for the tool currently shown in PathPilot.

Do I have to number the empty toolholder (say) 99 and enter it before setting a new work offset? If so, how do the other tools in the table relate to this one? The only way I've found around this is to touch-off all tools again for the new work offset.

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong but I've been thro' the manual, and Youtube vids for the Tormach lathe, and still can't see it! Any pointers as to where I'm going wrong will be very gratefully received......

Cheers, Andy

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rapid Turn: Setting work and tool offsets (again!)

Think of the empty tool holder like using the Haimer in milling mode. Mine is tool 1 in milling mode and when you set the z height in mill mode with the Haimer it adds all the other tool offsets based on that number. So when you flip your part, switch back to the empty holder, be sure the machine is set on tool one, and reset your zero. All the other tools you have loaded are relative to that first tool. You really could do anything for tool one, even load a dial indicator in it (or probe) and use it just like in milling mode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Think of the empty tool holder like using the Haimer in milling mode. Mine is tool 1 in milling mode and when you set the z height in mill mode with the Haimer it adds all the other tool offsets based on that number. So when you flip your part, switch back to the empty holder, be sure the machine is set on tool one, and reset your zero. All the other tools you have loaded are relative to that first tool. You really could do anything for tool one, even load a dial indicator in it (or probe) and use it just like in milling mode.
    Thanks dobey - very helpful! I'll certainly try that, using the empty tool holder as 'tool #1' and go from there. I may also experiment using a Haimer in a QCTP holder (boring bar holder with enlarged mounting hole to 12mm) and that will be easier and more accurate to set work zero with the Rapid Turn. I guess my confusion was about when to set zero using the DRO in Pathpilot, and when to set it using the tool-offset page (e.g. 'Touch X'). I shall experiment with great care!

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Went through the same exact process you did, got mine the day they came out. I like that idea too, I will see about making a boring bar holder into a Haimer holder as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Keen - very helpful and verifies what dobey said above. These days I need 'simple understanding' of such things; I'm not working constantly with the Rapid Turn as a hobbyist and in-between uses (could be a few weeks or even months!), it's easy to forget the processes involved, particularly if the manual doesn't cover it too well!

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone, I am new to the cnczone but am reaching out for some help with the work and tool offsets. I am having to reset tool offsets everytime I add more stock or start a new project. I assumed once the tool offsets were done initially I would not have to reset unless I change out the tool or need to compensate for tip wear. I don't quite understand the common tool concept but am willing to try if someone could help me understand it a little better.
    Thanks,
    Bob