Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The traditional solution to that problem is to debur and dress the hole so it looks pretty and then stamp "Oil Here" just below it. Non-machinists will think it belongs there and experienced ones will chuckle knowingly.
    Ahh hahahha... awesome... I wish I had thought of that.. I had pullout and buried an endmill in the table on my 1100 - twice. I used iron/epoxy stuff then hit it with a file. Kept junk out of the hole and worked fine. Every time I looked at it since though, it bugs me!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hang your head and send it over to me :P

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I know enough to be dangerous period. I also try as much as possible to work out each step carefully. I have set procedures for everything I do. Like flying an airplane, I always check the machine out before use. I perform each step just like you would if your flying an airplane and your life depends on it. Save a lot of money , time and spoiled parts damage to machine..................... And I follow imho some of the best machinist work anywhere on the net. These people take a great deal of time to setup each and every operation. Be it a manual or cnc machine. One of the current builds I follow and have learned so much from, the guy is building a working scale model Rolls Royce 12 cylinder merlin engine complete with super charger and his detail is incredible.
    I would appreciate a link to the Merlin build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Be setting down when you read this thread and the many others that build on this site.
    People like Rupnow and many others build different types of engines, some do one every couple months.

Quarter Scale Merlin V-12 - Home Model Engine Machinist

Enjoy
    I have learned more from reading what these guys do then about any other single place on the net. Well I do learn a great deal here also!! just not as many cool tricks and setups....
    So much info in a single picture on many of these threads

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got around to repairing the hole in my table, caused a year ago by stupidity and inexperience. I thought I'd share what I did for the repair to close the thread as 'complete'.

The best advice I got here (thanks!) was to plug the hole with a suitably 'similar' material and finish-it back to table level, so I turned-down a scrap of cast iron to make a 6mm diameter plug, about 6.5mm long. Then the tricky bit - milling-out the 4mm hole as carefully as possible using PathPilot conversational and a 4mm 4-flute carbide cutter, to a depth of 6mm, and 'walking-out' the (interpolated) diameter until the plug was a close push-fit. Then apply some Loctite 630 (shaft-fit) and knock-in the plug. After leaving overnight I then used an 8mm 6-flute carbide endmill to level-off the plug, but only after some careful checking of Z heights for the Haimer and tool. I was able to machine the plug down to 0.05mm above table height before chickening-out, then used my round Norton hand stone to do the rest. Here's a couple of pics of the inserted plug before finishing, though I wish I'd taken one of the original hole! Hopefully you can see the finished result which I'm pleased with. It'd not invisible, but you now have to look for it.

Cheers, Andy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table?-20170823_121632-jpg   Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table?-20170823_121704-jpg   Newbie mistake - how to repair small hole in 770 table?-20170823_144657-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow,

Looks like a sweat drop fell on the table!

What did you use for the cast iron, the color match is pretty good? Those round Norton Knife Stones are really hard to do without for maintaining tables.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Wow,

Looks like a sweat drop fell on the table!

What did you use for the cast iron, the color match is pretty good? Those round Norton Knife Stones are really hard to do without for maintaining tables.

gary
    Thanks, Gary, I admit it turned-out better than expected. The cast-iron was just a bit of 'model engineering' scrap I acquired from somewhere, probably used to make steam pistons. It's sold as 'Meehanite 250' cast bar. I had to guess it was a reasonable match for the Tormach's bed material, the composition of which I can't determine. Yes, the Norton stone is just the tool for cleaning-up the table's surface in between jobs.

Cheers, Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

That does look good! Nice job.

My table is fine, but the 5" CNC vise that Tormach sells now, is not the same size as what they used to sell (well, at least the jaws are different). You can probably guess how I figured that one out ;-)

Running the two side by side can be troublesome if I forget that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12