Thread: What Tormach products did you buy and not use - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thread: What Tormach products did you buy and not use

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 this is what I do too.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I found paper was a PITA with coolant so I tried a height gauge which I already had (a digital 12" which is much more useful than the 6" dial Tormach sold at the time). I like it because its easy to setup new tools (like drills, which I use a lot of different sizes of) when the machine is working. Plus a lot of my code uses a top-of-stock zero and with swapping soft-jaws all the time, I don't need to keep a known surface in the machine to measure from.

Works for me anyway. Probably drives other people batty.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Thread: What Tormach products did you buy and not use

I have the Tormach granite plate tool setter which has worked great. I have 157 tools loaded in mach so far. I also use the granite block/guage for measuring various things, like actual tool diameter,checking dimensions after machining etc. I only wish the granite block was bigger.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Austinmachining. You can get some pretty decent surface plates from Shar's. I have bought 40+ of these throughout the years and have left them in factories throughout North America while implementing CI initiatives for various companies. The shipping is certainly the most expensive part, but they are perfect for a small business or home shop that doesn't need extreme precision metrology. The ledge design is nice because you can fabricate your own stand and drop it in with ease, or just put it on a bench and have something to grab when you want to move it.

Grade A, 12" x 18" Black Granite Surface Plate

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any examples of how you use the edge for tool holding.
    Thanks for posting. That is a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Austinmachining. You can get some pretty decent surface plates from Shar's. I have bought 40+ of these throughout the years and have left them in factories throughout North America while implementing CI initiatives for various companies. The shipping is certainly the most expensive part, but they are perfect for a small business or home shop that doesn't need extreme precision metrology. The ledge design is nice because you can fabricate your own stand and drop it in with ease, or just put it on a bench and have something to grab when you want to move it.

Downloads
    Uploads

That was one of the best things about the old ENCO, their frequent free shipping deals allowed you buy large heavy stuff much cheaper, especially for folks like me, who live out in the sticks. I got an 18 X 24 surface plate, a Kurt 688 vise, and even a 13" lathe all with sale prices and free shipping.
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

I found paper was a PITA with coolant so I tried a height gauge which I already had (a digital 12" which is much more useful than the 6" dial Tormach sold at the time). I like it because its easy to setup new tools (like drills, which I use a lot of different sizes of) when the machine is working. Plus a lot of my code uses a top-of-stock zero and with swapping soft-jaws all the time, I don't need to keep a known surface in the machine to measure from.

Works for me anyway. Probably drives other people batty.
    I did the same for the same reasons but I have a manual height gauge as a backup b/c I have a bad habit of not shutting off the electronic gauge when I'm finished with it. I know I have an extra battery. It's got to be around here some place :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post

Thanks,
    That looks like,a good deal. I just need to find a way to put a hole in it for the tool holder shank like the tormach plate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Thanks,
    That looks like,a good deal. I just need to find a way to put a hole in it for the tool holder shank like the tormach plate.
    This is what I use for popping holes in them on a drill press.
    http://www.ukam.com/webcatalog_drills_ordering.htm
    I was fortunate and found a used set with 5 different diameters at an auction. I won't even list the price I got them for because it almost makes me feel dirty to even put it in print :-). BTW they take a LONG time to wear out as long as you keep them cool. I basically take my kids playdough and make a damn around the hole perimeter to keep the water where it should be while flooding it. FYI the black plates are softer than the pink ones that I to knock holes in in the past. Alternatively if you can find a thirsty counter top fab guy providing copious amounts of beer to him might get you a hole in the plate too. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

There may be others, but this thread discusses putting a hole in a surface plate.

Terry

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...0-tormach.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was a good thread on the subject...I must have missed that one. The price on that core bit was pretty stellar too, and if you are only going to poke a couple of holes why not roll with it! BTW I really miss Enco already :-(.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Before they sold drilled surface plates, Tormach sold a precision ground bushing about 1.5" tall with the OD of the TTS ring and a loose 3/4" hole through the middle. When you put a TTS tool shank in it, the only place that contacts is the outer ring, so you'd zero a height gauge on the top of the bushing thing, then measure tool height from there. IDK if they still have them as they're not apparent on the web site, but its another way to go (of course with their pre-holed TTS plate at all of $26, that's not a bad plan either...)

Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to say, find a kitchen guy, he'll have a scrap piece and prolly put a hole in it for ya much cheaper I bet. I had some leftover from a remodel, I use as 6in X 3ft piece with sandpaper tape for sanding flat surfaces, baking edges etc, I'll post pics if you want. I also have a tall manual dial, I faced a 6 X 8in aluminum plate, did on the counter out mind in the vise. Haimer is coming soon but that's done me well, that and paper, for a while now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

+1
    I did this

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I was going to say, find a kitchen guy, he'll have a scrap piece and prolly put a hole in it for ya much cheaper I bet. I had some leftover from a remodel, I use as 6in X 3ft piece with sandpaper tape for sanding flat surfaces, baking edges etc, I'll post pics if you want. I also have a tall manual dial, I faced a 6 X 8in aluminum plate, did on the counter out mind in the vise. Haimer is coming soon but that's done me well, that and paper, for a while now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Before they sold drilled surface plates, Tormach sold a precision ground bushing about 1.5" tall with the OD of the TTS ring and a loose 3/4" hole through the middle. When you put a TTS tool shank in it, the only place that contacts is the outer ring, so you'd zero a height gauge on the top of the bushing thing, then measure tool height from there. IDK if they still have them as they're not apparent on the web site, but its another way to go (of course with their pre-holed TTS plate at all of $26, that's not a bad plan either...)
    That's pretty much what I have except that I made it from a piece of scrap stainless rod I had. I cut it to length, chucked in my lathe, faced off both ends, drilled and reamed a 3/4" hole through it. Then fit with a TTS holder is so close that I had to drill a small hole for the air so I could easily remove the tool. Not a very elegant solution but measurements made with are as repeatable as my instruments can measure, half a thou on a made in China height gauge. Nothing I make is going to the moon, so I'm okay with it. I already had a small granite surface plate with plenty of room for the height gauge and the tool and holder whose lengths I'm measuring. A kludge? Maybe, but the price was right.

Last edited by jttoner; 08-28-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    What Tormach products did you buy and not use
    tail stock for the SL15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123