Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    Keen:

The "secret" to having the internal contacts working for millions of cycles without requiring any maintenance is to have electronics that detects when the contacts are about to open and drop the current to zero. This is how the older Renishaw probes operate (I have purchased multiple Renishaw probes on eBay for very low prices). Having a constant current running through the contacts (without the low voltage sensing) will result in arcing when the contacts open up. If you sense the voltage increase before the contacts open, you can reduce the current to zero before the contacts open and totally prevent arcing. This will also greatly increase the sensitivity of the probe since the stylus deflection is greatly reduced as well. A timeout has to occur before a test constant current gets reapplied, and if the contact is still open drop the current to zero again and wait the timeout again. You can often get Renishaw probe interface boxes on eBay for reasonable prices, although you may prefer making your own electronics (that's what I would do in your situation).
    Thanks for that Zetopan.

The high end Renishaw type probes are very sophisticated, accurate and reliable. But that comes at a high price if purchased new with the warranty.

The Hallmark Design Probe is much simpler - think of it as an improved Tormach SPU 40 passive probe ..hopefully at about that price point.

So with that always in mind, I needed to keep the design simple.

Cheers Keen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I haven't checked which are expired but Renishaw obtained numerous patents covering their ideas including the arc reduction technique that you mentioned, a breakaway stylus, use of strain gauges, piezo sensors, optical sensors, wireless connections, etc, etc. Something to consider if you decide to commercialize the improved touch probe.
    Hi kstrauss. I think I am clear on this but some more checking would not hurt.

Cheers Keen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
    I'd certainly be interested in this probe. I use a standard edge finder cause of dealing with expensive probes just hasn't been worth it to me.
    Yes they were also my early thoughts - for practical workshop use you don't need a highly priced delicate instrument. That is why I bought the Tormach SPU 40 - and it was almost good enough .

Keen

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you given any thought to an optional longer probe? I can see where there may be a need for something like once in a while.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm surprised you're getting more love for this here.... My one and only reason for never using that type of probe is I know I would periodically break the !@#$%^&* stylus, and they are always expensive. I really like what you've done, and the improved accuracy is extra gravy. If you can keep it in the same price range as the Tormach probe, I would think you would do very well with this. I'd buy one, and no doubt unintentionally put your "break resistant" claims to the acid test! :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Have you given any thought to an optional longer probe? I can see where there may be a need for something like once in a while.
    Hi Michael.

Yes there are different versions that could be made - but one step at a time. Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I'm surprised you're getting more love for this here.... My one and only reason for never using that type of probe is I know I would periodically break the !@#$%^&* stylus, and they are always expensive. I really like what you've done, and the improved accuracy is extra gravy. If you can keep it in the same price range as the Tormach probe, I would think you would do very well with this. I'd buy one, and no doubt unintentionally put your "break resistant" claims to the acid test! :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks Ray - I appreciate your encouragement.

Keen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I am extremely interested in this.

What kind of tip is on your stylus? It looks like you are putting on a ruby or similar? It's still possible to crash and break it, even with the incredible amount of travel you have built in. You'll need to be very up front about what replacements will cost so people feel at ease with the design.

It doesn't seem completely necessary for the tip to be anything other than carbide.

Another thing I've always wondered, what about making a probe that's both conductive and mechanical? Have a mode switch on the side so that when dealing with metals you can use conductive for perfect accuracy and for non-conductive materials use the mechanical mode?

EDIT - I believe I heard in the video your stylus is ceramic?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree, I'd like to have one but only if I wouldn't get TOO pissed off when I broke it, I don't need to spend the kind of money most others cost but I'd love to justify the convenience with a lower price. It looks awesome, I have all the faith in the world that if you've made it, especially from the ground up, it's fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    Yes, I am extremely interested in this.

What kind of tip is on your stylus? It looks like you are putting on a ruby or similar? It's still possible to crash and break it, even with the incredible amount of travel you have built in. You'll need to be very up front about what replacements will cost so people feel at ease with the design.

It doesn't seem completely necessary for the tip to be anything other than carbide.

Another thing I've always wondered, what about making a probe that's both conductive and mechanical? Have a mode switch on the side so that when dealing with metals you can use conductive for perfect accuracy and for non-conductive materials use the mechanical mode?

EDIT - I believe I heard in the video your stylus is ceramic?
    Hi Advil - Thanks for your post.

Re your questions. If you view my other youtube videos on the subject last year - or you may have already? there is information on some of this.

Just quickly. I may offer a premium model with a Carbide stylus tip and a economy version with a hardened steel ball tip - still very durable.

A broken stylus would be very unlikely ....but I agree with your point and plan to offer replacement stylus assemblies for a reasonable price.

In order to keep the price down I plan to only offer the mechanical touch type at this stage.

Cheers Keen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I totally agree, I'd like to have one but only if I wouldn't get TOO pissed off when I broke it, I don't need to spend the kind of money most others cost but I'd love to justify the convenience with a lower price. It looks awesome, I have all the faith in the world that if you've made it, especially from the ground up, it's fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks tbev - Point taken. Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Design Work Keen,

I would think many of us might be interested is this is affordable, as most can't afford the high end probes from Renishaw and others. Nice work

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was able to remove a lot of the stylus deflection by getting new stylus's from renishaw. the one I have now is a 4mm X 15mm rod and 6mm ruby.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast