Tormach SmartCool - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormach SmartCool

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach SmartCool

The electronics or the mechanism or both are sealed?

Downloads
    Uploads

I took a closer look at both the servo and electronics box. The electronics box is just screwed together. And the servo is a steel box that is also screwed together. I looked at the electronics and it is a couple transistors and a couple small chips. I am not going to post any photos. Not something I am comfortable doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I was designing something like this, I'd use a small micro to get commands from USB and drive the servo. That would make pictures of the insides less than helpful except maybe to identify it was a PIC or Atmel or Microchip or MSP or whatever doing the work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by bozidar22; 07-25-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bozidar22 View Post
    FYI, Link does not work.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

I have need struggling to get my smart cool with multicool to position correctly. I have the ATC and run some parts that take 40 minutes on an op with multiple tools, but for the life of me I can not get the smartcool adjusted to consistantlyt stay aimed at the tool tip on any tool. I have multi cool and have it set up with my Fog buster in M7 position.. I have spent HOURS typing in ADMIN SMARTCOOL_OFFSET until I am blue in the face and get no consistant results. I have smartcool on in the Fusion 360 post, and have experimented with the wiggle percentage which seems to work for values of 65-90% but the damn aiming is still almost random no matter what tool I use.

If anyone is having good luck with the SmartCool Multicool and get good tool specific aiming (M7P0) please give me some advice..

Thanks in advance for your help..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
    I have need struggling to get my smart cool with multicool to position correctly. I have the ATC and run some parts that take 40 minutes on an op with multiple tools, but for the life of me I can not get the smartcool adjusted to consistantlyt stay aimed at the tool tip on any tool. I have multi cool and have it set up with my Fog buster in M7 position.. I have spent HOURS typing in ADMIN SMARTCOOL_OFFSET until I am blue in the face and get no consistant results. I have smartcool on in the Fusion 360 post, and have experimented with the wiggle percentage which seems to work for values of 65-90% but the damn aiming is still almost random no matter what tool I use.

If anyone is having good luck with the SmartCool Multicool and get good tool specific aiming (M7P0) please give me some advice..

Thanks in advance for your help..
    Doug,

i have a few tools that are way off on tool tip as well. On proven programs, I hand code exactly what I want the SmartCool to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip.. That seems to work better doing it for each program...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    If I was designing something like this, I'd use a small micro to get commands from USB and drive the servo. That would make pictures of the insides less than helpful except maybe to identify it was a PIC or Atmel or Microchip or MSP or whatever doing the work.
    There is nothing terribly complicated about making one of these. I don't see the point in seeing that is on the board unless you just couldn't wrap your brain around how to recreate a circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
    Thanks for the tip.. That seems to work better doing it for each program...
    In my experience, it's a little like photography. As you become a professional that uses the camera as a tool everyday, you get away from the programmed modes and just shoot manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I found this while searching for something else.

The SmartCool uses a PIC18 (specifically a PIC18(L)F24K22) and the servo used is a Dynamixel AX-12A. It has two MOSFETs onboard to handle solenoids (M07 & M08) The 3rd port is unknown. In the manual, its marked as AUX and the traces goto the micro.

But as what other folks have said, This is defiantly handy with the ATC. Especially if you have a wide range of tool lengths installed in the ATC. The other feature is the air blast. If you have an operation where you know that chips don't clear completely, you can issue a gcode command to do so. Either one shot, or specify the frequency.

Thought it is pricey, But this is made for the machinists that are not electronics buffs. And just need something pre-made. If you are an electronics buff and you are running pathpilot- there is a python script that controls it that could be reversed engineered where possibly a 3rd party unit could function with the stock commands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12