Need Help! Install path pilot on a non tormach mill

Thread: Install path pilot on a non tormach mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Install path pilot on a non tormach mill

Hello , I'm new to this forum, and could use some advice on installing a path pilot on a non tormach mill. I"m wondering if any has done this with any success. I have a Siemens 808d controller now, and have had nothing but problems So I decided to change controller I really like the tormach because of its conversational ability. All of my XYZ HAVE SERVO MOTORS as well as the spindle (7.5hp). Also have a 16 tool ATC. Just wondering if the path pilot will be possible to work for me.
    Anyone with any input , I would like to hear what you have to say

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Install path pilot on a non tormach mill

This is Normally around a year Project and a lot do Never finnisch which machine is it ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    This is Normally around a year Project and a lot do Never finnisch which machine is it ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    It is an off shore mill from China model no xk7136

Downloads
    Uploads

Might be a better idea to spend the effort on LinuxCNC directly. Sounds as if you'll want features that aren't necessarily implemented in PathPilot.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have done the conversion on non tormach mill and lathe but it sounds like your machine would not be a good fit given the hardware. I agree either Linuxcnc or iron out the bugs in the 808d. Frankly I'm surprised the professional level controller you want to swap out for a hobby level control

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    i do similar stuff like you intend to do but we do produce the machines ourselves ;9-
    We have already all in Linuxcnc but different hardware than Pathpilot requires.
    So depending on your toolchain you don't need Pathpilot
    and i only do it because customers insist on Pathpilot so i help them with the config that the can use that on our machines.

If you have all the technical data of the control i mean like delta drive x with amplifier y have the electronic schemes of the machine that you can get the encoder signals of the spindle know how you drive the spindle
    like an special signal like torch does at path pilot or an 0.10 v like a lot of bob does

and have some IT know how it is an calculate able efford.

and maybe it is even a product then
    which x and y distances does that thing do ? what kind of spindle does it have ?
    But the good news is all the information is out there
    i would stay on standard Linuxcnc probably use Gmoccapy or similar and then when i really need i would go deep into path pilot
    thomas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I know to swap out the 808d is not the best choice. But I found out later this was the first time they installed the 808d and they just never programmed it properly. Also the 808d uses the DIN G code format and I used to the ISO (fanuk) and even though you can change it to work in ISO mode you loose many features on the controller when your in ISO format. I'm just tired of it. Also I have a friend who has the path pilot, and he can help me out with it. As I'm new to CNC . I would only be doing simple milling operations and the path pilot with the conversational would be better for me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I've heard of Linux CNC . I have a friend that would be doing the installation for me as he experience with this. The only problem is he lives in another province, and he would have to come in to do this. So I'm not sure if this is a long process. It's a shame yo do what I'm thinking of doing , but I have no support on the 808d other than the manufacture in China. And they can only do so much without phisically being here to reprogram And I like the idea of having the ability to have conversational programming

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I quests my really concern is if the path pilot can handle the 16 ATC. I know the tormach only has 10, also the spindle does not need to synchronized because they use an R8. I have a BT 40 spindle., so the spindle needs to be synchronized. Not sure if it's possible to do this with the path pilot.

Downloads
    Uploads

It handles the 8 tool turret on the lathe fine and I am sure it handles the Tormach ATC. A few more tools should not matter too much there. There is a limit to the amount of lathe tool numbers, but I don't think the mill side is anywhere near as low as the lathe tool table. The lathe syncs the spindle very well for rigid tapping and threading. I imagine it works for some live tooling too. Should have no trouble with that on a mill.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't know that it synchronized the spindle on the lathe. Good to know thanks. I know on the tormach 1100 there is an optional BT30 spindle available. But t states that the ATC is not compatible with the BT30 spindle, only for the TTS TOOLING. So this tells me that the path pilot on the milling side does not support a synchronized spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi
    i right now go really deep into the path pilot programming
    So the short answer is yes it could but the ATC is controlled by tormach hardware which you then need to "emulate".
    So maybe you do a list what do you want to achieve
    Servo x y z
    endstop hall or switches
    spindle encoder
    atc does like ....
    etc etc
    thomas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I think your right. I know it will take some creative programming ,but I think I can do it. I was hoping it wouldn't be this complicated but looks like I don't have much choice.

Downloads
    Uploads

The lathe uses an encoder to sync the spindle, but it is not good enough to position or lock the spindle. Not sure about how all that works, but I am guessing the BT's need to position the spindle to load and unload.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes they do. Because the spindle needs to be locked to an exact position to do a tool change. So this is where I think there might e a problem. I have a installed an offshore controller on my other mill , and it works well. I was only hoping to use the path pilot ,because it has the conversational

Downloads
    Uploads

It is simple in linuxcnc you Need an Encoder which does a b and x Where x is 1 x per Revolution and a b Are 90 degreees shifted

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Might be a better idea to spend the effort on LinuxCNC directly. Sounds as if you'll want features that aren't necessarily implemented in PathPilot.
    Can I use the linuxcnc software with the path pilot controller?

Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to head over to linuxcnc.org forums as well. They have folks like cncbasher that know waaaay more about linuxcnc/pathpilot than we do. I know everything you want to do is possible but do expect it to take a month or so of programming and trial and error. Yes spindle orientation M19 is possible in PP but u have to install the orient module which is std in linuxcnc but not in PP. then you have to modify the .hal file to connect the pins. The encoder part is pretty straightforward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

hi
    it is the other way around path pilot is an special ui for the newest linuxcnc where tormach gave something back to the community but the ui is theirs
    so it is an special version ad setup based on mesa hardware. so if you use an mesa 5i25 card you can switch later to pp easily if needed
    if you stay at the linuxcnc lane a lot of people will help you