New Tormach RapidTurn product - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tormach RapidTurn product

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Tormach RapidTurn product

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    It would not be hard to change out the motor and belts with a servo and change the belt to a timing belt . Just use a servo with a built in brake (;-). The best of both worlds or you could add a brake easy enough.

(;-) TP
    The brakes on servo motors (all that I have had my hands on, at least) have play in them, so they will hold the spindle, but not with the required zero movement.

Also, the brake should be on the spindle and not on the other side of an elastic connection. If you design it using brake lining, either in the form of a band or disk brake pads, then the 'brake' can also be used as a damper. Anybody who as turned 4000 series alloy or stainless will appreciate the effects of a good adjustable damper on the spindle.

As you said, probably not too difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads

Reading the Tormach site more carefully, it appears that the RapidTurn is powered by the spindle VFD since the 35167 connector kit is required. Does that means that a cable must be moved to change from using the normal spindle to running the RapidTurn? For example, making the rook in the video required powering off the mill, swapping the spindle motor connector and the RapidTurn cable and then rezeroing things. Is that correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

That was what it looks like to me as well. Not a deal killer for me, but wish you could run both spindles and did not have to do the quick change install. I still really like it for my needs anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed, it is not a deal killer for me either. However having to move cables and re-home makes producing rooks and similar items in quantity almost impossible. I suppose that our acceptance of the RapidTurn in spite of such issues means that Tormach has done a great job on their market research!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by simpson36 View Post
    ...the InTurn™ 4th axis motor controller is $500 for MACH3 and it is a 'system' that adds a laundry list of features to MACH3 and comes with custom screens and a complete set of M-code macros that can be embedded into G-code to perform fully CNC controlled Mll/Turn operations....That controller was hacked by yours truly to provide basic functionality with Path Pilot so that users who already had these controllers would be able to move to Path Pilot without loosing Mill/Turn altogether. Once this is done, the advanced features of the controller are no longer available. The full $500 MACH3 controller system is not required for Path Pilot.
    Can you expound on the InTurn functions that are available to a mach3 user that are not functional under PathPilot?

thanks.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post
    That was what it looks like to me as well. Not a deal killer for me, but wish you could run both spindles and did not have to do the quick change install. I still really like it for my needs anyway.
    Not a deal killer here, either. I'm interested in learning more - this likely provides a rapid solution to a growing problem, and saves me from converting my lathe.

WW

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Can you expound on the InTurn functions that are available to a mach3 user that are not functional under PathPilot?

thanks.
    The controller has two speed control modes: SetSpeed and AutoSpeed.

In SetSpeed mode, you simply enter the spindle RPM you want. The controller calculates the required motor speed depending on whether you are currently in 'Direct Drive' or 'Back Gear' (4:1 or 12:1 ratio for the MEGA) and maintains that speed.

This is functional in Path Pilot, but only by running the M-code. In MACH3 you can enter a number in a box or move a slider to change the RPM in real time

AutoSpeed does not function in Path Pilot. In This mode, you set the SFM you want rather than RPM. The controller then track the axis holding the tool (typically Z or Y) and automatically calculated the RPM required based on the distance from Zero the tool is. This mode requires the controller to have access to the Z or Y axis continuously in real time I order to smoothly change the spindle speed as the tool moves closer and farther from zero.

There are very few screen controls in Path pilot where in MACH3, custom screens provide mouse click access to almost ever feature of the InTurn™ and most of those controls are duplicated on-screen for a servo powered mill spindle (if one is present).

There are a lot of little convenience features that are not on-screen with Path Pilot, but I expect that to change soon. The controller has been expanded greatly into a full pendant with a 7" touch screen and remote command and monitoring and other useful stuff. This was done initially for MACH4, but is now fully functional in LinuxCNC. It is not released yet because I am porting the whole thing over to a newer faster processor in order to add more advanced features.

My relationship with Tormach is no longer adversarial. They have had a policy change and have been cooperative and helpful in bringing the InTurn™ functionality to Path Pilot. I expect this to continue and to bring all of the features into Path Pilot from the LinuxCNC version. Unlike with MACH3, this time I won't have to be working in the dark and guessing at everything. Tormach has been very helpful in providing technical details which is what allowed me to 'hack' the existing MACH3 controller to function (in a basic form) with Path Pilot.

Last edited by simpson36; 05-21-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: bad typing

Downloads
    Uploads

The official prices and package descriptions are now on the Tormach website:
    RT-STARTER - RapidTurn
    RT-DELUXE - RapidTurn

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve - thanks for correcting me on the InTurn motor and controller. Is there a 1 HP servo motor and drive that you recommend these days? Back in 2012 when we corresponded in email, you suggested the Mitsubishi motor & drive. Also, can you clarify what is needed to interface the InTurn to a PathPilot controller?

Have you made any progress on the new pendant?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like to get everything ordered in advance of getting the RapidTurn so that there are no delays in using a new toy. I plan to use a switch rather than physically moving the cable between the RapidTurn and the Quick Change Motor Connection Kit (PN 35167) that was originally supplied with the High-speed spindle. Can anyone tell me the manufacturer part number (not the Tormach number) for the connector associated with the high speed spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to pick up an ancient thread, but kstrauss, did you ever find out the part number for that connector?

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

I was short of time so solved things by throwing money at the question; I bought the quick connect assembly from Tormach (35167 - QC Motor Connection Kit) and used the connector from their kit. That said, the connector is a four pin unit made by Weipu. I'm pretty sure that it is a WS20-TQ (see http://www.weipuconnector.com/Products_show_20.htm ) There are listings for the connectors on Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/w...ctor-ws20.html ) but I don't know of a stocking North American source.

What are your plans? Please let us know if you have any success!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply, I may do the same as you did if I can't find a N/A source, do remember about what the cable cost? It doesn't come up in the on-line store at Tormach.

You may have seen my thread on VFD programming a couple of days ago.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...6-tormach.html

I still intend to pursue hooking my aux spindle to the 1100's VFD, just will use a smaller motor than the 1.5 kw unit.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to Tormach support today, and as I suspected, they don't stock, or sell the connector. The man I talked to was very helpful, and interested. He managed to dig out a mfg part number from somewhere, which makes me think you were correct about it being a WS20-TQ, because the number he found was WS20J4TQ1, very close to what you found. Surprisingly searching that on eBay got a good number of hits. Unfortunately everything was in China, no stateside sources. But, I ordered one anyway, both male and female sides of the connector for about 10 bucks, so I took a shot. The Tormach quote for the quick disconnect cable with the connector was just over $42.00.

The one I ordered was the same brand as the one on the RapidTurn, Weipu.

I'll report back when it arrives to let everyone know if it's the correct part.

Terry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I grew tired of the wait and the QC connector kit is not supposed to be in until the end of the month.

I just ordered a few of these, a project box and a triple throw switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I talked to Tormach support today, and as I suspected, they don't stock, or sell the connector. The man I talked to was very helpful, and interested. He managed to dig out a mfg part number from somewhere, which makes me think you were correct about it being a WS20-TQ, because the number he found was WS20J4TQ1, very close to what you found. Surprisingly searching that on eBay got a good number of hits. Unfortunately everything was in China, no stateside sources. But, I ordered one anyway, both male and female sides of the connector for about 10 bucks, so I took a shot. The Tormach quote for the quick disconnect cable with the connector was just over $42.00.

The one I ordered was the same brand as the one on the RapidTurn, Weipu.

I'll report back when it arrives to let everyone know if it's the correct part.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to update everyone, Tormach kept trying and found the connector for me. Ms. Megan Hooker in sales, and someone in tech support that wasn't named to me, dug out a part number for the connector (351193). I ordered it on the 12th and it arrived today. It is the correct connector, same mfg name as the one on the RapidTurn.

Don't know how many the keep on hand, but it is the right one if anyone needs a replacement, or has a project.

Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12