It will virtually last forever in Alum.

ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - ECRI-B3

Good Luck~!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble roughing in 6061-em-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trouble roughing in 6061

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post

Question: Do you do plunge roughing in steel as well or just aluminum?
    Definitely do-able in steel Most of the plunging Ive done has been in various steel castings for deep pockets or profile roughing in materials like 317L which is highly abusive to most cutting tools . To plunge in steel you'd need the right tool for the job (real plunge mill) I wouldn't use an end mill to plunge anything other that maybe a free machining steel , and even then I'd go another route

If your cutting loads of steel then you might be best off buying insert mills , the initial cost is high but over time the savings is there and the tool pays for itself quickly . I've used a lot of sanvik over the years and their cutter module is incredible CuttingData Module - Milling
    The speeds and feeds this thing calculates can be down right scary until a guy gets used to it
    The high speed , high efficiency toolpaths are probably the best choice for general machining steel work .. Theres a lot of air cutting with high speed tool paths which is why I find them worthless in aluminum , but for steel they can be ideal at times .

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    Not really a broad statement because it's specific to plunging . I agree that tools can and will pull out under various circumstances and that's why I'd never rely on collet holders for roughing ops . Collet slip is usually the culprit
    The force is similar to drilling when plunging an end mill , plunge mill etc and the tool will push up into the holder under force and not go the other way .
    "Collet slip" is only an issue if you don't have adequate drawbar tension. It does seem to be not uncommon with the Tormach PDB. I have never, EVER had a TTS tool slip even a single thou on any my machines, even when roughing all day long at the very limit of spindle power.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    And if you think plunge-roughing an endmill at 40 IPM doesn't put a large side-load on the spindle, then you need to brush up on your high-school physics, paying particular attention to Mr. Newtons laws. You're only cutting on one side of the tool, and that load is concentrated at the tip, farthest from the spindle nose. Those are perfect conditions for inducing pull-out.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I was referring to er , tg etc types of collets which would have to do with the tool holder itself . what was it that you were suggesting would pull out if these things are dead solid

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    I was referring to er , tg etc types of collets which would have to do with the tool holder itself . what was it that you were suggesting would pull out if these things are dead solid
    Ah! I was referring to the TTS collet, given that most people here use TTS holders, and slipping of the straight-shank holder in the TTS collet is a not-infrequent topic of conversation here. I've never had slip in an ER collet. With only a 1.5HP spindle, I think you'd have to be doing a very poor job indeed of tightening an ER holder to get any slip at all. With more HP I could see it....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't get collet slip when I am plunge ruff in aluminum brass or plastic. I don't know about steel as I don't do steel on my machine, but i have tried it a couple of times. Plunge ruffing doesn't work well on steel because you wind up recutting chips which plays heck with the end mill.

I have a couple of things in the fire right now that will allow me to move out of my garage and buy a better piece of equipment. I am debating whether to buy a Haas VF2 or an equivalent Mazak.

When I had my shop, I would solicit Inconel and titanium. The shops around where mine was only wanted to do aluminum. I took the time and spent the money to learn how to cut exotic metals. Besides, why should I sell aluminum chips for 45 cents per pound when I could sell titanium for $3.00 and Inconel for $4.50.

In October 2007, I was getting ready to buy another Haas when I had a heart attack in the shop and after surgery I decided I no longer needed or wanted the stress of ownership, so I sold the shop. I was so wrong.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be 70 years old and start a new shop? Well, I'm about to find out.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be 70 years old and start a new shop? Well, I'm about to find out.
    Sounds like a plan
    Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Mike please update us on how your mister works, it's certainly cheap enough!

Terry
    Terry,
    I have it mounted, havent really tried it on a part yet as far as air blast. I really wanted it for wood pockets to keep the sawdust out of the pocket and hopefully not blow it all over the shop while using it.....
    It does siphon coolant and works as a mister, but is dependent on air flow. I am thinking that I need the coolant container mounted at the same level as the mister block, it does work though and the price was right ha!

Trouble roughing in 6061-img_5516-jpgTrouble roughing in 6061-img_5517-jpgTrouble roughing in 6061-img_5518-jpg

I need a longer air line and some needle valves for air and coolant, kind of a work in progress....

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update, sounds like it works OK, maybe not the best one out there, but for the price it's hard to knock. I'm going to order one tomorrow.

Terry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123