Anybody using the regular commercial version of Mach 3?

Thread: Anybody using the regular commercial version of Mach 3?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anybody using the regular commercial version of Mach 3?

Every once in a while my Tormach version of Mach 3 gets a little goofy and I have to shut down then re-start and all will be well. I'm giving some thought to going with the Art Soft version. How big a deal would be the set up? Since PP doesn't support my pendant, I'm not interested in it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Every once in a while my Tormach version of Mach 3 gets a little goofy and I have to shut down then re-start and all will be well. I'm giving some thought to going with the Art Soft version. How big a deal would be the set up? Since PP doesn't support my pendant, I'm not interested in it.
    I have been running the Tormach version of Mach for almost 4 years with absolutely NO issues or problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anybody using the regular commercial version of Mach 3?

Steve, thanks. The problem must be with my machine. The problems I run into are: 1) Sometimes the machine will make a strange, almost grinding or growling sound and then rapid the Z until it hits the limit switch or I hit the e-stop. 2) Sometimes on executing an "s" instruction, the spindle will begin to rotate at the correct rpm then after 10 seconds or so, go down to something like 10 rpm. 3) Sometimes I'll hear a growl and the table will move at what seems like 1 ipm. In all cases the solution is to close the program, shut down Mach 3, then re-start both and all is well again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have experienced the weird, slow spindle speed thing myself.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

I have also had the z go down into the work at the end of the program a couple of times and other various xy anomolies, not often but it did do it at times, when running a program I would listen for any abnormal noises or movements, if one was detected I would shut down and reload Mach, that always fixed the problem.

I will add that Pathpilot hasnt made a false move yet!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve, thanks. The problem must be with my machine. The problems I run into are: 1) Sometimes the machine will make a strange, almost grinding or growling sound and then rapid the Z until it hits the limit switch or I hit the e-stop. 2) Sometimes on executing an "s" instruction, the spindle will begin to rotate at the correct rpm then after 10 seconds or so, go down to something like 10 rpm. 3) Sometimes I'll hear a growl and the table will move at what seems like 1 ipm. In all cases the solution is to close the program, shut down Mach 3, then re-start both and all is well again.
    I got the same thing, multiple times... had some damage and broken tools, but several scares. All the more reason to use path pilot instead..... I have the commercial version of Mach3 and had issues on other mills with that as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.... 2) Sometimes on executing an "s" instruction, the spindle will begin to rotate at the correct rpm then after 10 seconds or so, go down to something like 10 rpm. ...
    \
    This is a known bug in Mach if in single block you click either twice or before the spindle is up to speed Mach will default to the slow value...

If the only reason you are not upgrading to Pathpilot is the pendant that is kind of foolish as Mach 3 in any version will not control the machine as well as Pathpilot...I switched to Pathpilot about 2 weeks ago and I'm not looking back...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I have experienced the weird, slow spindle speed thing myself.

Terry
    Me three. Seems like the spindle speed problem is getting more frequent, too. After doing several complete reloads (XP and Mach3), the problem recurs within a few days each time. Inconsistently- sometimes M3 is fine, sometimes it's not. Sometimes a cold boot fixes it. XP and M3 are now both "legacy" - ie, you're on your own. It's been great for six years. I think the third party computer is sick (it's a Dell, 'nuff said).

I've switched to PathPilot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Carlson, are you using one of those "special" computers from Tormach or a generic PC? I ask b/cI have an extra PC I could dedicate to PP but I'm concerned that, as Tormach states, use of other than their PC is risky.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ask b/cI have an extra PC I could dedicate to PP but I'm concerned that, as Tormach states, use of other than their PC is risky.
    It's risky because they don't want to (or can't afford to) people running PC's other than those supplied by them.
    Probably 100x (or more) the number of tormach users are running mach3 on all sorts of PC's with no issues.

Generally, if mach3 starts acting strangely, it's either due to a corrupt installation or a corrupt .xml file. First thing I'd try is to replace the .xml with a good backup. If that doesn't help, then I'd recommend a complete re-install of Mach3.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Thanks, I think I'll give PP a try on the old PC. I'll just run it on scrap until it proves to be safe and reliable. I have plenty of scrap to test it with ;-( I'll just have to endure using the Tormach pendant thingy for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry,

Thanks, I think I'll give PP a try on the old PC. I'll just run it on scrap until it proves to be safe and reliable. I have plenty of scrap to test it with ;-( I'll just have to endure using the Tormach pendant thingy for a while.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised John!

It doesnt like the pendant - yet.........

My copy hasnt made a miscue yet.

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'll give PP a try on the old PC. ....
    Unlike Mach 3 Pathpilot does not use the printer port... Tormach controller uses a MAC Card Port they add to the controller...A basic PC will not run PP...

Downloads
    Uploads

Carlson, are you using one of those "special" computers from Tormach or a generic PC? I ask b/cI have an extra PC I could dedicate to PP but I'm concerned that, as Tormach states, use of other than their PC is risky.
    As I wanted the full warranty (and was running Mach3 on an old Dell, which I think was starting to show its age) I bought the entire package. I have a Tormach-supplied PC with PathPilot pre-installed.

Further update. The PathPilot swap was effortless. However, I continue to see spindle speed problems irregularly but more frequently. It's unclear whether this is a machine controller problem, other hardware problem (connectors/cables), or an unlucky PathPilot computer/install. It may even be two distinct problems manifestingthe same way. It's not, quite, the same problem as before- my machine still sometimes won't switch speeds under program command, but if it is running OK (that is, recognizes program speed commands), I can repeatedly shut down the machine -not PathPilot- and restart with no trouble. I am not seeing the "slow spindle" problem now; it's mostly won't change speed under program command, and wrong (but consistently high) speed delivered when speed is set on the DRO. The cause is unclear at this point.

As usual, Tormach is being incredibly helpful. I'm still in data collection mode, trying to pin this down to a specific set of circumstances.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    \
    This is a known bug in Mach if in single block you click either twice or before the spindle is up to speed Mach will default to the slow value...
    For what it's worth- I was seeing the failure to change speed manifest ONLY under program control. Same program would other times run fine, after a cold Mach3/machine reboot. Default to slow was the same thing- fine on manual or DRO manual entry, default to slow under gcode control. Speed changes usually after an M6G43, certainly not close together. No electrical noise in the shop, either, other than what might be coming from the Tormach.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FYI- I ran the Mach commercial and Calypso machstdmill before upgrading to PP and really liked it. The probing screens were worth the investment alone. It was a little clunky to configure at first, but it worked well and I didn't get bit by any weird bugs or crashes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

Will PP correctly run the passive probe? In M3 mine works for locating I.D. of holes but when I try to find edges or corners it makes a "chugging" sound and just creeps along.

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

It should run it just fine, I have run a wildhorse passive probe under path pilot.

I see two possibilities, first check to make sure the passive probe is selected on the settings screen, under mach 3 if you have that set incorrectley is will make weird noises.

More likely it is trying to move at a very small step rate, check to see what step rate light is on. Some members reported similar problems to what you are seeing because the probe somehow reverted to very small steps. It is supposed to move at the selected rates, then slow down to refine the measurement at a low speed. I'm not positive, but I believe one of the later path pilot updates fixed this, so I would recommend you go to V 1.8.2 if you haven't already done so.

Good Luck

Terry