Need Help! PCNC 770 Series 3 Problem with X axis motor not running with Computer - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCNC 770 Series 3 Problem with X axis motor not running with Computer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC 770 Series 3 Problem with X axis motor not running with Computer

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    They probably see no reason to. If you check the circuit diagram you'll see that anything sensitive will be turned off by just hitting the e-stop. The only exception being the computer which should be turned off via the panel switch (if it's being powered via the distribution panel).
    Not really. Estop only opens one of the 240V hot legs, leaving power through the other Kind of surprising they didn't use a dual pole button.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC 770 Series 3 Problem with X axis motor not running with Computer

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    They probably see no reason to. If you check the circuit diagram you'll see that anything sensitive will be turned off by just hitting the e-stop. The only exception being the computer which should be turned off via the panel switch (if it's being powered via the distribution panel).

Step

If you say so!

It was easy fix for my problem, I will speak of this no more

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Not really. Estop only opens one of the 240V hot legs, leaving power through the other Kind of surprising they didn't use a dual pole button.
    But in any case don't lots of the systems still remain hot even with a dual pole on the estop.

I've always used the estop rather than the main power switch if I intend to leave the machine for a while, this way I don't lose the PC and don't have to re reference the axis. In 9 years I've never encountered the problem described by mountaindew.

Phil

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    As I noted before and in other threads for first few months I had a problem with axis lockup about every 2 weeks or so and was chasing tail trying to figure out why. Tormach was little help and advised me each time to check gibs and or reinstall mach ......... . One day I was checking stuff and wanted to know power was completely off to machine, so I shut off master switch. I poked around for a while and noticed when I started machine the problem was gone. I am like well that was to easy, I wonder if this will solve my issue! One year of daily use later and this has happened 0.00 times Maybe its just my machine or my controller or my cables , whatever was holding some transient electrical state is now gone. This has been the only problem I had in 1.5 years of use and now its gone. I am a very happy tormach user!
    I have had a few problems over the three years i have had my machine, usually with the computer system, Others dont seem to have problems with theirs, in my opinion, I dont think all computer systems/software are created equal.
    I am a firm believer in if it works use it, so if a reset will get past the problem I would use it...............

The Ubuntu/Pathpilot system seems to work regardless of what I am doing with other machines in the shop, same computer different software.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    But in any case don't lots of the systems still remain hot even with a dual pole on the estop.

I've always used the estop rather than the main power switch if I intend to leave the machine for a while, this way I don't lose the PC and don't have to re reference the axis. In 9 years I've never encountered the problem described by mountaindew.

Phil
    Wanting to learn the best ways to operate and maintain my machine and I have a couple questions for a long time user.
    So its not a good idea to shut power off using master switch?
    You don't home the machine when you start the next days work?
    How often do you reference the axis or home the machine, daily, weekly monthly, 1 time in 9 years of use?
    If so what operation advantage do you have by not having to re reference the axis?
    If you had the problem I described above what would you do to fix it, reinstall mach, adjust gibs as tormach advised or some other diagnostic procedure?

Downloads
    Uploads

I can tell you that it is good practice to disconnect ALL power when unattended like at night. I kill all power to everything but the lighting circuit at night and I rest better because of it. You can, of course, do what you want. I have too much invested not to do everything I can to protect that investment. Not just monetary investment, but time as well. If these machines are in your house, then you have even more reason to protect what you can the best that you can. Leaving a machine partially charged is not doing that.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

My PC is plugged into a surge suppressor on the wall, rather than into the "pc" connection on the electronics cabinet. I did it that way since I chose not to put the pc controller in the compartment in the base; it is sitting on a shelf in my workbench.

That being said, I have always used the estop switch (vs. the barrel switch... but I might have to change my habit since I use the same circuit for a TIG welder... no sense in buying trouble).

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    You appear to be referring to the input power stage of a PCNC1100:
    PCNC 770 Series 3 Problem with X axis motor not running with Computer-powerstage-jpg
    The E-Stop opens only the output of the control power transformer. It has no connection to 240V. There is no need to open the other output terminal of this transformer, and it's earthed anyway.
    Opening this secondary circuit removes power to the coils of the two contactors C1 and C2 (red). The contacts of C1 open both lines to the DC bus power transformer and the contacts of C2 open both lines to the VFD (blue). The only items remaining under power will be the input disconnect switch, input fuses, filter, control transformer and the input contacts of the contactors. So yes, really
    The PCNC770 isn't quite the same but result appears to me to be very similar.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

But in any case don't lots of the systems still remain hot even with a dual pole on the estop
    As turbostep pointed out, I misread the diagram; didn't notice the other leg of the 240V/120V control transformer was grounded. E-stop secures control power, which opens the C1 and C2 relays, which which secures power to the 240V/48V DC bus transformer, and the VFD.

So essentially the only thing left powered on is the 120V circuit after you hit estop. Nothing else has power.

The barrel switch is 3 pole, 2 poles secure both hot legs of the 240V, and the third pole secures the hot leg of the 120V circuit.

Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12