Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

Default Re: Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

I posted a link to my config file's for PathPilot in the video description of my new youtube video. A lot of people were asking for them on this site and youtube. You can find the video and config files here:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

Keen - I have seen your videos and based on those I'm sure you can handle it. There's nothing really special per se but there's a bit of tweaking to do on the software side. There's enough help and experience here and on the linuxcnc forums to get you there.

I just did my grizzly lathe in pathpilot. Using the cnc4pc c35 breakout board allowed me to use the tormach flash file and simplifies things.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi keen i guess you even can do it without mesa card i have seen a video where one guy did it plain on printer port i look at that after christmas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks - But I thought the Mesa greatly improves the performance.?

Keen
    You can do all the same things with a parallel port as you can with more sophisticated
    hardware, that is, threading, rigid tapping, probing etc. These all work fine with just a parallel port.

( one of the nice features of LinuxCNC's real time design )

The advantages of using hardware step generation and hardware encoder counters
    (Mesa FPGA card or other add-on Linuxcnc compatible hardware) are these:

Cleaner step pulse stream ( less jitter and beats between the thread rate and step rate )
    This allows a somewhat higher rapids step rate before stalling

Ability to use high resolution encoders ( 5000 line or more are OK )

Less dependence on host CPU having good real time latency (not so picky about PC used)

Last edited by PCW_MESA; 12-19-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Both my manual lathes have 3 phase motors - (although I have a spare big single phase motor about 3.5 hp I think) . Can I get some sort of drive that will control them -- (about 5 hp ) - That would work with the standard electronics?
    Yes, you can use a VFD to drive the motors at variable speed, or simply operate the motors as they work now, using electronic control of the contactor, and use the gearbox to set the desired speed.
    ....or would I need to buy a new motor and drive.... or smaller motor and drive ?

Can I fit the encoder on the lathe spindle - so that I can still use the headstock gearbox to get a speed range to suit the job?
    Yes, in fact that is where the encoder needs to be for threading to work properly.
    It needs to be driven 1:1 by the spindle, and this can be done in a number of ways, pulleys, gears or an encoder disc with a large centre hole.
    An alternative is to use one of the spindle gears and some magnetic pickups as an encoder. https://pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

I would suggest not getting too hung-up on using PathPilot initially, normal LinuxCNC can run a lathe perfectly adequately, and is likely to be easier to get working with your system.

The hard part of converting a lathe is the X-axis drive. There isn't usually room in the cross-slide for a ballnut, to creative solutions are often needed.
    Having said that, backlash compensation in software is a lot more likely to work with a lathe than a mill, as the cutting forces almost never reverse during a cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

what sort of creative solutions work well? A higher cross slide ?
    You can just use a small ballnut. My lathe has been using an 8mm which looks pitiful, but has given to trouble at all:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-l...tml#post509784
    Putting the thrust-bearings outboard, where the micrometer dial normally are, made it easier.
    Another alternative (if there is room) is a rotating ball-nut arrangement at the back of the lathe, which allows you to fit a bigger screw. (I didn't have room, because of the milling head).

There is a nut for a 16mm screw that is unusually slim, but has a ball return rube. That is what I used on my milling machine, and I plan on an equally elaborate mounting block for my lathe conversion:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...ml#post1393132

Details of my own ongoing lathe conversion here:
    Bodgesoc Blogsoc: Holbrook Minor Single Phase Conversion

Just checking this point. I can set the lathe in eg a mid range gear for a job to get the torque and revs needed, then the electronics looped back with the encoder will dive the VFD which controls the existing motor speeds and reversing it out if a rapid stop is needed etc.
    Yes. It is even possible to have the machine automatically detect which gear is engaged by comparing the VFD speed and the encoder speed.

Downloads
    Uploads

bump

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I asked because I know someone who has switched to Path Pilot and is having all kinds of problems with it.

He's having problems when he gets up to G59. He says it doesn't like the tool changer. He asks me questions about it and I have to tell him if I'm not standing in front of the control I can't help him.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know there is an entire sub-forum in this group dedicated to Path Pilot? Send him there and he can ask away.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormach-pathpilot-/

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm working on a G0602/Pathpilot conversion and would love if someone has a config they can share?
    I'm interested in learning the details of what has to be done to an existing linuxcnc config to make it work with pathpilot and examples help allot.
    From what I can tell really the ini file doesn't need any changes, it's all in the hal files and specifically mapping things to the tormach variables.

I think I'm getting a grasp on Linuxcnc (far from pro though) but enough this will help complete my understanding

TIA
    Sandra

Downloads
    Uploads

Sandra - no problem. I have been through this and so have several others. Here are my config files for the Grizzly. I am using a C35 CNC4PC breakout board and a C41 speed control. The stepper drivers are Automation Technology KL-5056Ds.

I will try to help any way I can just let me know.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Sandra - no problem. I have been through this and so have several others. Here are my config files for the Grizzly. I am using a C35 CNC4PC breakout board and a C41 speed control. The stepper drivers are Automation Technology KL-5056Ds.

I will try to help any way I can just let me know.
    Thank you for that.
    Took a look through it, already many things are clearer already.
    You really are just connecting to the pathpilot GUI, the rest is normal LinuxCNC setup. which makes sense, no mater which GUI you use you're doing the same thing.
    Just Tormach decided to change names of some things and added some is all.

I wonder how hard it would be to get most of it back to standard LinuxCNC naming conventions. once there you should be able to diff it then come up with a patch file to apply
    or script it to apply changes to updates to pathpilot.

and FYI, I am on the LinuxCNC forum pathpilot group, just didn't see anyone there working with a g0602 in the forum so googled and found this post and your work

also, my setup is a 5i26/7i76 combo with Leadshine DM856 drivers and a GM2 VFD.
    I'm putting my electronics panel together now. it's been tested just getting it all together properly.

Last edited by HIKARURD; 07-23-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: adding more info instead of new post

Downloads
    Uploads

Sandra I think u are correct for the most part - but there are a lot of nuances and PathPilot is very finicky - one small error and it won't boot. It is much easier to start with a standard PP install and tweak it - rather than with a standard linuxcnc and force it to become PP.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is my plan.
    Pulling the items needed out of the LinuxCNC ini and hal files and put into the PP ones
    I won't have a tool changer other than myself so setting PP to manual tool change should take care of that.
    the steppers are easy as are the home/limits.

I think the Mill is harder due to the way they multiplex things on the controller but still doable (since others have done it)

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the status of this? Does anyone even have source code for PP? If reasonably current source exists I'll do the mechanics of getting this started.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisalbertson View Post
    What is the status of this? Does anyone even have source code for PP? If reasonably current source exists I'll do the mechanics of getting this started.
    This might be a better Path Pilot Thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...6-tormach.html

I gave up on Linux CNC and PathPilot. Too much trouble finding Legacy equipment and having to rely on random forum posts for tech info.

I ended up buying 2 cheap controllers from Bang Good dot com.
    Also a 9 channel USB/LAN connected controller board and controller software from Planet-CNC dot com. Only $300. Looks like the controller software will do Torch Height Control now too. Planet CNC is where I am going to put my money if I am ever able to get my shop to grow.

I think the future belongs to GRBL and the Arduino. This might be a better investment of your precious time than legacy hardware. Someone who could transfer the Linux CNC algorithms to GRBL would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

I gave up on Linux CNC and PathPilot. Too much trouble finding Legacy equipment and having to rely on random forum posts for tech info.
    LinuxCNC runs one new hardware too. People are running it on Raspberry Pi3 and the like. But yes it does run best on a standard tower PC box.

I think the future belongs to GRBL and the Arduino. This might be a better investment of your precious time than legacy hardware. Someone who could transfer the Linux CNC algorithms to GRBL would be great.
    GRBL runs on an Arduino an performance is limited because of the very low end hardware. But I agree overall
    The newer generation of Arduino-like small computers ar well suited to this task. Newer STM32 based boards are two orders of magnitude more powerful then Arduino at half the cost and this trend will continue

LunixCNC does have the advantage in flexibility. I just watched a guy bore a hexagonal hole using normal boring bar and a LinixCNC powered lathe. I'd going to try a "D" shape hole.
    Skip to the very end and watch the last 20 seconds

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris Albertson
    Are there any idiot proof tutorials out there for running LinuxCNC on new equipment? I will not consider any parallel port configurations.
    I am a machinist and not a programer or hardcore computer tech.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to know a little about computers or else how are yu going to create the G-code files.

There is a fork of LinuxCNC that is better if you want to run of all kinds of different hardware but doing that is going requires computer skills and programming.

If you want to run on a modern PC and need better performance than you can get with a parallel power then the tested method is to buy an FPGA card from Mesa.
    These cards can connect to the PCIe bus slot in the PC or some of them use Ethernet. PCIe is easier and is what most people use.

The Mesa card looks like just a simple but expensive parallel port card. But no. Some of the controller code runs on the card, not on the PC.

As for how to set it up. Yu download and burn a CD. Then boot the CD. You can then click "install" after the CD boots. After that there is a configuration wizard that you can run that sets it up for you. This works if your hardware is a "normal" milling machine. Do't expect the wizard to work if you have a 7DOF robot arm with a spot welder on the end.

Instructions here:
    Getting LinuxCNC

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011