cutter comp question

Thread: cutter comp question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cutter comp question

Does anyone use cutter comp on there tormach. I've had mine for 2 years now and never tried it because the manual advised not to because it doesn't work well with mach3. I write all my g-code, I don't have cad/cam and it would be nice to use cutter comp if it works.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cutter comp question

Joey,

I also write all my g-code and use cutter radius comp all the time w/o any problems. Only two things to be aware of. First, make certain to not use right when you need left. I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but trust me, there's a good reason I point this out. Second, you have to provide adequate lead in. I don't remember the minimum. I always allow a bit more than the dia. of the cutting tool. Practice on wax if you have any, else on wood.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder what the difference between cutter compensation in hand coding/Mach and setting the cutter diameter in CAM is? If I grind a cutter diameter that is smaller than the original, I just change the diameter in CAM and the cutter will cut the same size again. I never have any problems with this, maybe I dont understand the difference??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, I still haven't cut my teeth in CAD/CAM, but in the tool configuration we can compensate for wear and I would expect, though I don't know, that the wear correction would apply in either case.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I wonder what the difference between cutter compensation in hand coding/Mach and setting the cutter diameter in CAM is? If I grind a cutter diameter that is smaller than the original, I just change the diameter in CAM and the cutter will cut the same size again. I never have any problems with this, maybe I dont understand the difference??
    Functionally, there is no difference whatsoever, except.... If you're really going for every bit of accuracy, and actually measure your tool diameters, doing offsets on the machine lets you fine-tune dimensions by changing the tool table in Mach3, without having to go back to CAM and re-generate the G-code. On machines in this class, it seems a little silly to me, as you're not really getting that kind of accuracy most of the time anyway, except under very exceptional, well-controlled situations.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Mike, I still haven't cut my teeth in CAD/CAM, but in the tool configuration we can compensate for wear and I would expect, though I don't know, that the wear correction would apply in either case.
    Mach3 does not use the wear correction value, whether you use comp or not.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Mach3 does not use the wear correction value, whether you use comp or not.
    Yes, but you can get the same effect by fudging the diameter field, providing you're using cutter comp...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the clarification, I grind my cutters when they get dull or broken and I just put the new dimension in the tool table in Mach and in the cam program. I have wondered what the differences were. I dont need it often but its handy on fixtures where I need a close fit, I can adjust the cutter diameter in cam to get the fit right.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, I grind my cutters when they get dull or broken and I just put the new dimension in the tool table in Mach and in the cam program. I have wondered what the differences were. I dont need it often but its handy on fixtures where I need a close fit, I can adjust the cutter diameter in cam to get the fit right.
    If you're doing cutter comp in CAM, there is no point in putting tool diameter into Mach3 - it won't ever use it. Also vice-versa...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray, thanks for the info. Since nothing I do is that critical, I'd never tried calling out wear, though I'd seen it in the tool config table. Like most with Tormachs, I just measure the tool. Odds are I'll break it before it wears a significant amount.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dang---- you sure hit the nail on the head with that John!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everybody, I'll give it a try. Maybe this year I'll finally get cad/cam and learn it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, there's an upside. When the price of scrap carbide goes up I'l be rich

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Mike, there's an upside. When the price of scrap carbide goes up I'l be rich
    I am in the same boat John, My "tool shortening" machine has made its share of scrap as well!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If you're doing cutter comp in CAM, there is no point in putting tool diameter into Mach3 - it won't ever use it. Also vice-versa...

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Youre right, but I just do it to keep track of the actual size of the tool, just for reference only.

mike sr