Losing steps and ruining parts, help me, you'll be my hero - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing steps and ruining parts, help me, you'll be my hero

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Losing steps and ruining parts, help me, you'll be my hero

Quote Originally Posted by ouchmysac View Post
    FIXED

The latest version of Mach3 runs that test code flawlessly. Twice. The motors sound different too, probably updated controls there as well.

It's not hard, mine is now licensed too. If you're interested, just download the new mach3 from their website and install it like SCzEngrgGroup said below in a new directory. In the old PCNCx directory grab the PCNC3-3.xml or whatever file and move it to the corresponding new folder (the file structure is the same, most of the file names are too). This XML file is already setup and tells mach which pins in the parallel port to use and how the e-stops works and all that. The mach3 manual talks about how to do it yourself, but why? There are other config and screen files in the old PCNCx directory, but I think the Tormach skin is kinda jankey and old, but whatevs. If you load in the license CD that came with your machine and browse to the CD in windows explorer, copy the license file into the new root directory that has that xml file and all. That's it.

Seriously, if you guys are using helix moves and things seem strange, try the new mach version. I was losing my mind, the machine said it was where it was supposed to be, the code said go there, the cutter said no. Simple moves too. Oh well, suck. Back to work.
    Yeah, just beware that 3.043.066 is not without plenty of its own bugs. But at least you've confirmed that the version of Mach3 you were running is the culprit.

You might want to go to the ArtSoft forum, and ask the guys over there which version is best. Most consider 066 to be too buggy to use, but I don't recall which version they feel is most stable. I believe that particular bug was fixed somewhere around 3.042.060 or so.

Probably be good to report the problem to Tormach as well, and send them the problem g-code, so they can reproduce it. Perhaps they're already aware of it, and might have a work-around?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    Most of my programs have at least some helical machining. No problems.

Strange stuff.
    Like I said, the bug occurs only on specific sequences of moves, so you may just be lucky and your CAM doesn't generate the specific code sequence that induces the bug. I'd be willing to bet if you ran the OPs code (which he has posted), you'd see the problem, as one other poster here has already reported.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using LinuxCNC to drive my Mikini, it took me a few hours to configure but works perfectly. Also it is free as well as Linux. I use Linux Mint. Regarding the Mikini, it arrived with several loose screws and couplings which the company blamed on vibrations during shipping. When I examined the Z axis ball screw I observed that someone had driven the ball screw down into a bearing using a cold chisel, so I didn't believe them. I also had a lot of problems with the spindle controller. I should have bought a Tormach. I use it mostly for woodworking though, which works out very nicely. I would recommend LinuxCNC to anyone. It is highly configurable but takes a little bit of study to configure. I don't know if anyone is using it on the Tormach.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might try installing Linux on your PC as a dual boot with windows. Then download CNCLinux. It takes some patience to configure. I wonder if someone out there is using it on a Tormach. If so they could maybe share their config files. CNCLinux works great for me, It also plots toolpaths, I don't know if Mach does that, I am supposing that it does.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the 1st version of Mach3 that was setup for the ATC. (they have a new version which may fix some bugs with the ATC crashing, but haven't installed it yet) I have never had any issues like you have. I can only assume you don't have the ATC Version? since you are using a non-ATC post. As far as I know, I am the only person with an ATC post for HSM other than those downloading my post off HSM's forum. I use HSMWorks for CAM, and haven't had any issues like you have, so that is very odd. I have however went in and edited the settings in the stock Tormach Mach version. Look ahead, accel, velocity, etc.

If I had to guess, the "look ahead" could be part of the reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    If I had to guess, the "look ahead" could be part of the reason.
    No matter what you do with look-ahead, the motion should be correct.

Look at Help->About, and see what version of Mach3 you're running, and compare to his. You should also try running his g-code, and see if you see his problem.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FYI - Mach .058 has fewer issues than .066 .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's an option in HSMxpress I just noticed in the post processor dialog box, allowHelicalMoves. When set to true (default), helix moves are X/Y/Z/I/J commands, when this boolean is false, the same helix toolpath is X/Y/Z commands only. I bet there's something to this. Anybody know which style of commands would produce better motion?

So, this latest 066 of mach is iffy? Awesome opposum. Anybody know how to get the passive probe macros to work with the non-Tormach version of Mach? Edge finders are sooo old school.

Downloads
    Uploads

There's an option in HSMxpress I just noticed in the post processor dialog box, allowHelicalMoves. When set to true (default), helix moves are X/Y/Z/I/J commands, when this boolean is false, the same helix toolpath is X/Y/Z commands only. I bet there's something to this. Anybody know which style of commands would produce better motion?

So, this latest 066 of mach is iffy? Awesome opposum. Anybody know how to get the passive probe macros to work with the non-Tormach version of Mach? Edge finders are sooo old school.
    Turning that option off will turn helical moves into gazillions of very, very short linear moves. It will likely mitigate the Mach3 bug, but will make your code MUCH larger, and perhaps slower as well.

As I already said, the guys on the ArtSoft forum can tell you which current version of Mach3 is least buggy....

To get all the Tormach stuff working, I would try the following:

Make a copy of the entire Tormach Mach3 directory, then copy just Mach3.exe from the 066 installation to that new directory, and see if everything works. In the vast majority of cases, the only thing that changes between different Mach3 releases is the executable itself, so this approach should work far more often than not. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything, but a few minutes of your time, and your Tormach installation will still be intact.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hero status achieved, thanks Ray.

Just cut the first part with the 066 version of Mach. Smoother, quieter cuts, ramps are painless, part is perfect. Seems worth it to upgrade to the new Mach. Ray is correct, install the new version, take it's mach3.exe and move it into the tormach PCNC directory and start that program instead. Select the PCNC profile, make chips.

Owe you a beer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hero status achieved, thanks Ray.

Just cut the first part with the 066 version of Mach. Smoother, quieter cuts, ramps are painless, part is perfect. Seems worth it to upgrade to the new Mach. Ray is correct, install the new version, take it's mach3.exe and move it into the tormach PCNC directory and start that program instead. Select the PCNC profile, make chips.

Owe you a beer.
    Glad it worked out!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just cut the first part with the 066 version of Mach. .
    great, now when you start experiencing the bugs that are prevalent in ver .066 or you want support from tormach for this unsupported version you may want to keep the link i gave you and just install their newest supported recommended version, easy as pie and not void your warranty.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carlowens View Post
    great, now when you start experiencing the bugs that are prevalent in ver .066 or you want support from tormach for this unsupported version you may want to keep the link i gave you and just install their newest supported recommended version, easy as pie and not void your warranty.
    Do you know that he wasn't running that version already? He posted his version number. What version is Tormach currently recommending?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.tormach.com/downloads.html

I'm using the newest version of the 1100 ATC, not sure what version of Mach that is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    http://www.tormach.com/downloads.html

I'm using the newest version of the 1100 ATC, not sure what version of Mach that is.
    Go to Help->About...

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

lol, I know how to, but not on my Mill currently. I looked yesterday, and it's like .026 or something probably pretty old.

The only bug I found in this version of mach is that if I set my zero, then hit start, I can't hit start... I have to hit reset, then start, same with calling a tool from the ATC. I think going back to the Mach that crashed all the time would be less annoying than this.

Side question - If I download the latest Mach 3, and move the .exe onto my mill, will everything else work, including the ATC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carlowens View Post
    ++++1

Well worth keeping aligned with the people that design, maintain and support the tool. Moving out on your own is great if you have advanced needs that cant be met any other way. Otherwise imho much less problems and headaches if you use as is with the accessories and software designed and integrated for it. "what a great system as is imho" I tend to work with the solutions, tools and methods developed for these machines and find ways around any limitations and not change everything so I have 1 type of tool path or strategy to complete an operation only to have it cause problems with all the other methods and strategies. Simple opinions from a 1 year user that has had 0.00 problems with my system and it is used everyday to make very detailed accurate and extremely complex parts and operations!
    md

Downloads
    Uploads

Question o the OP:

I am assuming you touched off tool T0 to the part to establish Z0. When was the last time you touched off T1 to verify the correct height offset was in mach3?

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand why so many people seem to be having problems with Z axis shifts.

I have been running my machine for 3 1/2 years and I have NEVER had a problem with the Z axis unless it's just cutter pull out, but since I learned what to do there, I have totally eliminated that problem,

One thing I have NEVER used is the TOOL TABLE and T0. I will always use G54 and tool offsets. The tool table on my control is empty.

The only parts I have scrapped were caused by either cutter pull out or a major programming error. Sometimes I get in a hurry and don't run the graphic before I make a part. Or I try to program and run a part when I'm tired.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I don't understand why so many people seem to be having problems with Z axis shifts.
    They don't seem to be having issues. They are. I used to be like you, Steve when I was the only one running my machine. Since I have operators now, one of the best moves I made was to fill out my tool table with correct offsets and have everything loaded in TTS holders. That and rigid tapping saves me a whole lotta time and wages.

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast