Anyone Using A Tormach 17mm "Modular" Endmill with the "Medium" Adaptor?

Thread: Anyone Using A Tormach 17mm "Modular" Endmill with the "Medium" Adaptor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone Using A Tormach 17mm "Modular" Endmill with the "Medium" Adaptor?

A friend of mine is using one of these, and seems to be having serious problems with chatter. I suspect the rather long adaptor is also rather flexible. If you're using this combination, what kind of DOC can you run when slotting in 6061? What feed and speed are you using?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Using A Tormach 17mm "Modular" Endmill with the "Medium" Adaptor?

Hi,

I had the same problem with the long adapter. I then tried the short one and it was only marginally better. I had to hog out a lot of material for a large job, I tried a number of cutters and lucked into a three flute .375 rougher which in my experience is far better for removing material fast, and not limited by the very short doc of the index cutter. The 17mm is retired after a short career.

Frank

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Using A Tormach 17mm "Modular" Endmill with the "Medium" Adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    Hi,

I had the same problem with the long adapter. I then tried the short one and it was only marginally better. I had to hog out a lot of material for a large job, I tried a number of cutters and lucked into a three flute .375 rougher which in my experience is far better for removing material fast, and not limited by the very short doc of the index cutter. The 17mm is retired after a short career.

Frank
    Hmmmm.... Not what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully others will chime in with their experience.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont' have anything to add other than I have the 17MM cutter with medium adapter that I have not used yet and am a little worried about using it now. I watched some of the videos on line and when I spoke to the Tormach rep before I bought it he said it was his favorite tool. I took that as a big vote of confidence thought he might be using the very short adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Hmmmm.... Not what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully others will chime in with their experience.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have two, one on the medium and one on the short.

I don't really see any difference per se, but I strictly use these as a roughing tool, not finish. Usually leaving .012 or so to clean up with a two flute end mill.

I typically use about 3500 RPM and feed at 35ipm, cutting about .030 deep. I tend towards conservative cut wise.

The bottom cut is clean enough I'd say, but the side cut is very ugly and when bugging Tormach about that, it seemed clear it isn't meant to be a finishing tool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It hogs out decent at 3600 RPM, 33 IPM and .035 DOC. I was using it in 7075 and was pretty happy with the finish. I found that for finishing operations to look good you had to cut the feed rate back down into the high 20's with DOC <10 thousandths. The only thing that I didn't like about that tool was the set screw welding!

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you pack wax in the screw first?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    It hogs out decent at 3600 RPM, 33 IPM and .035 DOC. I was using it in 7075 and was pretty happy with the finish. I found that for finishing operations to look good you had to cut the feed rate back down into the high 20's with DOC <10 thousandths. The only thing that I didn't like about that tool was the set screw welding!
    That, too, sounds consistent with what my friend is seeing - works ok for only VERY light cutting. I can't really consider 0.035 DOC/33 IPM "hogging", as that's an MRR of only about 0.75 cu. in/min. My typical (not maximum effort) roughing cuts using a cheap HSS 2-flute is almost 3 cu in/min (0.5" DOC, 0.05" WOC, 110 IPM).

The whole point of insert tooling is fast removal, but it's sounding like this one is not capable of that. What happens if you push it harder? Do you get chatter?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The point of a tool like this is it's deep reach capability not "hogging". you'd have to be pretty naive to expect it perform as well as a short solid tool, c'mon, use some common sense. the longer the tool the less rigid it will be and cuts have to be reduced especially if they are "modular" and not one solid piece.
    walt

Downloads
    Uploads

Odd. I have one, and love it. Seems to really speed up my hogging out machining. I'm pretty happy with it.

You can get a spreadsheet from Tormach with their tested feeds and speeds, in fact, I'll post it here.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive, been, looking for a long reach 1/2 "tool 2.25" stickout. I was close to getting the tormach tool, but sounds like it's not, as rigid as I had hoped. I was able to grind down a $15.00 endmill leaving 1/2" of flute length. It actually worked really well. After roughing I left .02" for a single finishing pass. You could see the witness lines between the levels, but was smoth to the touch. I think it would work even better with a carbide tool. I would be fine paying for an indexible tool if it were significantly stiffer than an endmill but they are hard to find in 1/2" size.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a useful thread, I am adding this info since I went down the 17mm road based on another thread on this forum from which I misinterpreted the tool's performance.

When I used the 17mm index cutter, I pushed it to about .15DOC, 2500 RPM, 30 IPM before I started getting into problems -- so a bit more aggressive then stated above.

As I mentioned above, I found a carbide roughing tool that works well in my situation. I run the .375 tool at .25 DOC, 40 IPM and 60% step over, for a MMR of 2.25 cubic inch/min. When starting a slot, at 100% width, this tools uses about 40% of maximum spindle power, but that drops to about 20% as the step-over distance drops to 60%. I have found that anything under 50% spindle power is safe, but after that point, you have to babysit the machine. I have a Series 1 machine with a )recently added) 2HP Automation Direct VFD on the spindle, and no tool changer, so part of optimizing every job also involves getting the most operations out of every tool, which also why I have found the .375 rougher to be more versatile then the 17mm indexer.

This is 2.25 cubic inch/min: . I recorded this video as a record of the job setup only, didn't really intend to show it, so please excuse the quality.

Someone above has stated that they were able to get better then 3 cu in/min with a standard 2FL cutter: I have not been able to do that, I'm not sure why other then possible the Series 1 is limited to 60 IPM so I need to take wider slower cuts and that's not as optimal as faster narrower ones, but it's something worth looking into.

Frank

Last edited by frankee; 11-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try the wax trick thanks BAM! Anti-seize didn't do me any good. I'm typically using this tool to make deeper cavities. It makes a nice chip and ejects them quite well. The insert wear performance has been pretty good too. I think that you could push beyond the speeds and feeds that I refer to in 7075, but I was trying to balance the insert cost vs. a long carbide EM with a reduced shank diameter.

Downloads
    Uploads

No problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post

This is 2.25 cubic inch/min: http://youtu.be/xm5cK-FBuqw. I recorded this video as a record of the job setup only, didn't really intend to show it, so please excuse the quality.
    Frank
    Linky no worky.

Is everyone using these in Aluminium btw? I ask because I use something similar, but in steel.
    This is a 16mm Dijet SEC cutter, in a home-made holder where I needed a 50mm depth on the tool. The actual cutter shank goes all the way through and up to the end of the 'TTS' stub,and needed a little bit of warming up to fit in there.

I run (ran?) this in 1045 steel at 2400rpm/18ipm/0.060" DOC and full 16mm width. There is a little bit of chatter that you can see in the cut lines. To be honest it didn't stress the load meter that much, so could have run a wee bit faster or deeper I think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've run the thing at 3000 RPM, 40 IPM, 0.1" DOC and 40% step-over without problems. I've gotten up to 3500 RPM and 50 IPM (same DOC, WOC) before I actually got chatter. The finish definitely leaves something to be desired, but it IS a rougher.