End Mill & Drill Storage

Thread: End Mill & Drill Storage

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default End Mill & Drill Storage

I am starting to get a decent collection of sizes and types of end mills and drills. How do you keep them all organized so you know what you got and where it is? I have been using plastic boxes from the craft area but I am out growing that so I need a new better solution.

Similar Threads:
    Donald

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking about something like this...
    Akro Mils 10164 Plastic Frame 64 Drawer Storage Cabinet | eBay

Donald

I have 4 of these storage racks mounted to my wall. One for taps, one for drills, one for endmills, and one for thread gauges, dies, countersinks, edge finders, and misc. stuff.
    They can store drills up 1/2", endmills up to 3/4", and taps up to 3/4"
    I labeled each drawer, and read them left to right, top to bottom, just like reading a book.
    I can easily find what I need quickly.
    For Large drills, I made a drill holder out of wood. and set it on a shelf.
    End Mill & Drill Storage-7406dea98679c49ddcbe6ba7a82844d5-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is what I was thinking. I just found these cheap, and free shipping over $50. $23.66 for 64 bin cabinet.

Parts Storage Cabinets by AKRO-MILS - Bin Units by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

Donald

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is mine. But I am out growing it.End Mill & Drill Storage-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392256563-334486-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

For the endmills, I bought some of those storage bins and took the drawers out, threw the case away and placed the drawers into several of the drawers in my roller cabinet (toolbox, lower unit). Keeps them organized, separated and easy to see what I have and what's low.
    For the drills I have 3 huot boxes (expensive but worth it once you use one), fraction, letter and number. Metric units I only have a single box set, nothing I use much.
    Taps are also in a huot box
    M

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went with vidmar/lista cabinets with plastic bins and some metal dividers to organize. Love those things...well, other than moving em. I use some tool dip, some of that netting stuff, and some plastic tubes to protect edges. Huot cabinets are nice, but dont really fit in my shop (zero extra counter space), otherwise id have some as well as they're pretty ideal for smaller drills. Kind of surprised those plastic things are holding up for you guys...certainly a lot cheaper way to go

Downloads
    Uploads

You ma(or may not) be interested in these: http://www.tormach.com/store/index.p...tshow&ref=HUOT
    Step

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Huot boxes at Tormach - amazing. It sort of wears me out how there are so many things hidden on their site. Could someone provide the overall dimensions of any/some of the boxes? Time to start planning out some space

Downloads
    Uploads

I use on of these, this is just a stock picture, I'll take a snap later on.
    I'm also lucky in that one of the jobs we have at my moulding business is making moulded security boxes for library media storage such as CDs/Dvs/ etc, and one of the old jobs - although interestingly still bought quite a lot by Gressco over the US - is the VHS video securiy box. This uses a moulded tray which is a perfect size to fit 2 in each of these draws, so I grab all the rejects/seconds and use them myself. Pics later.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the small Huot, but find it overfills on some sizes and under-fills on others (eg: 1/4 and 3/8 that I use a lot of on the Tormach)

If you don't keep them in the factory packaging and want to stand them on end---

1/4 to 3/8-size endmills can fit nicely standing on end in 9mm/.38 caliber plastic ammunition boxes.

1/2" go into the large rifle boxes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pics as promised, had to clean up first though

End Mill & Drill Storage-d1-jpg

End Mill & Drill Storage-d2-jpg

End Mill & Drill Storage-d3-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Similar to Mooser, for endmills I removed the drawers from a plastic unit and keep them in my tool box. Each drawer holds a given tool diameter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Huot boxes, aside from their price and the fact you need several just to cover a complete drill index, are basically ideal for drill/tap/reamer storage. Vidmars work great for endmills, i'd recommend as many narrow drawers as you can get..

Label everything, and try an establish an expandable system from the start. Its easier than doing it once it's become unmanageable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got my Akro boxes in from Zoro Tools and was pleasantly surprised. They are not Chinese junk, there not made to last forever, but better than I expect. The kicker was, "MADE IN USA".

I can't complain for $23 each and free shipping.
    End Mill & Drill Storage-20140218_064211-jpgEnd Mill & Drill Storage-20140218_064225-jpg

Donald

Downloads
    Uploads

Darn I paid 50.00 for mine. Cant remember who made it tho

Nice! I think i will have to order another one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a Huot for my Endmills... works great! It's all metal so will last forever. For taps and drills I use a few plastic storage boxes from Home Depot.

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End Mill & Drill Storage-huot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

@MMMWWWPPP for the mention!

@dneisler - Glad to hear you got some tool storage! And yes, if you’re ever in the market for a storage cabinet in the future, we have some great heavy duty options at Vidmar you might really enjoy. Please let me know if you have any questions or want any additional information, thanks, and thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: End Mill & Drill Storage

I agree about Lista. I scored a number of used Lista cabinets with maple tops for a good price and have never regretted the purchase. Lista makes a great line of plastic trays and dividers. Everything locks together on a 6x6 inch grid. See Storage & Drawer Accessories | Lista but take your heart medication before looking at the prices!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: End Mill & Drill Storage

agreed on lista. kinda pricey but well worth it, i order more once a month.