My garage has become my Candy Store!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My garage has become my Candy Store!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I tend to make all my own jaws as I need specially designed ones for some of the stuff I do, but that monster-jaws.com is pretty neat and good to know about.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    What a wonderful evening. I finally got everything setup just right and did my first cuts making some soft jaws out of aluminum.

The 770 goes to full speed spin in a heartbeat, and cuts thru material like butter. I did some pretty major hogging cuts and had to tweak settings on the fly, but i'm getting a feel for her now.

Tomorrow it's time to make some major chips! LOL

I also need to modify my chip guards in the front a bit. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, just need to do something a bit higher and easier to get into.

All in all, i'm a happy camper.

The ATC worked perfect right off the bat too. The only thing I'm having trouble with is setting up my Dolphin CAM up to do some tapping. Gotta figure out how that's supposed to work yet. I have the Tormach spring loaded ER16 collet tappping head to do semi-rigid tapping.

Wade
    Congratulations! That's fun stuff.
    To contain chips and coolant better, I build a shower curtain around my 1100. I'll never go back.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ash_guard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First Parts!

The vise jaws wound up turning out great on the Tormach. It took a little dinking around to get them equal thickness as I don't have any parallels that were big enough.

Regardless, they turned out great. The tapped holes are so I can attach accessory clamping parts.

Even the shield I built around it worked great. A few chips over the front, but for the most part, not many. I'm just going to wind up raising the front shield to 28" instead of 18". That should take care of anyone sitting in front of the mill.

Till the next post,
    Wade

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My garage has become my Candy Store!!-photo-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice first parts, man!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Check out MonsterjawsUSA.com. I bought some 6 inch jaws from them a while back, and for what they charge for 6 inch jaws, I can't afford to try to make them.
    As somebody looking to buy a Tormach this post scares me a bit, especially coming from one of my favorite posters! I'd think you'd be able to make these in your sleep to +/- 0.001 with your Tormach. What am I missing here?

Very cool! I know the feeling when I got my first Haas Mini-Mill and a SL-10 lathe in my garage. It was great!

www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    As somebody looking to buy a Tormach this post scares me a bit, especially coming from one of my favorite posters! I'd think you'd be able to make these in your sleep to +/- 0.001 with your Tormach. What am I missing here?
    Just that they're charging about what the aluminum would cost. I mean, $10 for a set!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    Personally I pick them up from monsterjaws in person for a cash discount by the dozen.

I bill $60-$90/hr. I make odd size ones myself and it takes about 30 minutes of machine down time on a REALLY good day. That means that to make these they cost me $6 if I dont have the right scrap plus $30-$45 worth of time at a minimum.

To make them even close to MonsterJaws you have to surface 12 faces after making 2 thick bandsaw cuts, then drill, pocket, counter bore four slots (I only use the double sided with slots so I can flip them over).

It all comes down to time vs money: if you have time and want to save a few bucks, or just want the enjoyment of making it- spend the time. If you have $3 to spare and no time- spend the money.

Downloads
    Uploads

Monsterjaws charges $9.98 per set if you buy a dozen sets.

There's $8.50 just in material for you to make your own, that means you have to make them for $1.48. I'm fast, but I'm not that fast.

Granted, the more material you buy, the less it costs, but even at $1.75 per pound you still have $4.25 in material, and I don't care who you are, you can't cut the material, machine and chamfer 12 sides, drill and counterbore 4 holes and package the jaws for $5.75. YOU may be fast, but you ain't that fast.

12 sets of soft jaws machined, drilled and counterbored is going to take you at least 3 hours (and that's if the phone don't ring). At $75.00 per hour, that's $225.00 plus $49.00 for material is $274.00. Divided by 12 sets of jaws, that's $45.64 per pair. You just went in the hole $35.66 per pair.

I went to Monsterjaws Wednesday to pick up a dozen pair of jaws, and they have an awsome set up there. There was thousands of pounds of aluminum in the yard, and they have 6 horizontal machining centers making nothing but soft jaws.

They make both aluminum and steel jaws, and it looks like they are doing quite well at it. They have found a niche market and they are cashing in on it.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow that is crazy cheap !!! I normally make my own, but damn $10.... Thanks for the link, now what to do with all of that left over $$$ hmmmm

Downloads
    Uploads

So you feel like you could make them just as well yourself, but it's not worth your time since this is a profession for you as opposed to a hobby. Certainly makes sense from that perspective.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123