Nice work for a noob,

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks , first time EVER doing machining of ANY kind was , Sept 2012

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
    Here's the pics , needed to sand lightly before appling the finish
    What I do to my parts before finishing is to run the parts in a vibratory deburing machine. I consider the vibratory deburing process not only for preparation for finishing but also as a machining step that uses random motion of the deburing medium to perform say corner rounding without resorting to using corner rounding endmill.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

We use both , vibratory , and rotary tumbler , many times we find a random orbit sander faster. I can prep alot of parts for finishing between changing out parts in the mill. Other times if I have other stuff to do they go in the others.

I have a question about using stainles steel pins for deburing/finish prep, on 6061 alum. would they be TOO abrasive in a tumbler? I have talked to some guys who use them for cleaning/polishing brass casings for reloading.

I wouldn't mind trying some , but they seem pretty costly if they don't work,
    We mostly use the green triangles , however they are a PAIN to clean out of some slots recesses, the really wedge in tight. Moreso in the tumbler than viberator.

Any suggestions ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Don. I too use the tumbler process to round and debur my parts. Since my tumblers are lower end and the tormach doesn't leave a streak high end finish, I used a more abrasive 1st step (also works very good on face mill marks). I use 3 18 lbs tumblers and for media
    - 5/8" V cut Raytech Ceramilite wet (great stuff !!!)
    - 1/4" pyramid shape media wet
    - finish with Raytech treated cobb.

As an anodizer this step is critical and really boils down to what works for you. Think of finishers as magicians, they rarely give the tricks away. It's all trial and error

I personally don't use any other metals when tumbling parts to be anodized. I've experienced problems from the rust flaking off the cheap steel threaded center post embedded into my parts. Now that was a fun tail to chase. 3hrs min for each ano run.

I haven't used pins, and guessing this falls under a semi finishing step, I don't see why it wouldn't work. As for blind holes or unwanted recess clogging (gets worse as the media shrinks from use), I'd plug my parts. We use cheap rubber window screen trim, nylon screw, dowels, etc.. for both semi finishing and polishing steps. The corn cobb is a real pia when it comes to blind tapped holes. Nice looking part btw, what is it ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mean those stainless turnings used for tumbling brass before reloading?

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's how I would hold it.

I would leave an extra 1/4 inch on the bottom of the block, and cut that off after I get all the parts to the point in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help , How do I hold this?-dsc_0324-jpg  
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123