I finally pulled the trigger.

Thread: I finally pulled the trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I finally pulled the trigger.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a PCNC 1100 with PDB and 4th axis. I chose not to buy a cad/cam package at this time. I just know that much about them and I already know G code (at least I did six years ago). I really liked the new Novakons, but I have more confidence in Tormach. I also have a Lagun knee mill which has served me well. IMO, its an amazing machine. I say this having cut my teeth on a BP. I'm a little worried about such a light weight machine and whether I will have rigidity problems. From reading this forum, lack of rigidity doesn't seem to be a problem, still ... Anyway, delivery is expected on the 13th or 14th. That's how I like to do business. I pay for a product and the vendor ships it straight away. (In my case a few days delay as I paid with a personal check, but that's on me.) There's a lady named Ann Moen who works at Tormach and she has been absolutely amazing. These people know how to do business. My hat's off to them.

For anybody considering the purchase of a Tormach, I'll post my impressions after I have some time on the machine.

Thanks to all who have so patiently answered my questions. And to the U.S. citizens, please, for the sake of our country, vote tomorrow. I'm almost 74 years old and I truly believe that this is the most important election of my lifetime, if not ever.

John

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with what you have said John, you will be happy with the service and the machine from Tormach, they are good people to deal with.

I bought Alibre and Sprutcam with my machine, Sprut I like for the cam program, I did buy Rhino for the cad program after a buddy let me use his for awhile as it was much easier to learn for me.
    I have had mine since last Februrary and have a fairly decent handle on everything now, I am in your age bracket so it has been a bit of a hassle in that respect ha!
    So far I only use mine for my hobby stuff but I am well pleased with the machine.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Starting last month, my PCNC 1100 is for hobby use as well.

For about the first 15 months I had the machine, I took in work from the outside, but last month, I decided not to do that any more and just concentrate on my hobby stuff. I just don't want to work that hard any more.

I make parts for remote control gasoline powered boats and cars. My first love is the boats since I have been racing them since about 1973.

Right now, I am selling my boat parts as fast as I can make them, but this is the winter build season. Most of the guys are building new boats for next season, and my business will die off in February or March, then I'll start in on the car parts.

I have recently gotten into 1/5 scale cars, trucks and buggies. There seems to be a lot more call for car and truck parts than there is for boat stuff. We'll see.

When I was taking in outside work, I ran my machine 40 to 70 hours a week, and the ONLY problem I had with it was I busted 3 of the Belleville washers on the drawbar. Now I have a spare set.

I had a FADAL and a Haas in a real CNC machine shop for a long time and this machine will do ANYTHING they would do, it just takes a little longer.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. At this point, everything I need to make is either 2D or 2 1/5 D, so I'm confident I can do well with just G-code, and as all the comments regarding the machine itself are positive, I'm looking forward to a great experience with my machine.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the group John. You won't find a better bunch of guys, ANYWHERE.

There will always be someone here to encourage or help you when you need it.

Where are you located (city and state).

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome John.
    One thing you might find very handy is the build-in "wizards" included with the Tormach version of Mach3. With you already having experience in Gcode, you can cut most 2-1/2D parts quickly and easily right at the machine.
    If I just have a part or two to make I plug the data into the wizard, tweek it with notepad, and I'm cutting a new part in just a few minutes.
    For any 3D or more complex 2-1/2D stuff, I use Solidworks with BobCAM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wog,

Thanks for the tip. I know nothing of wizards but I certainly will get acquainted with them.

Steve,

I'm in North Orange County, So. Calif. My new shop (half of a two car garage) will be at my home in Fullerton, CA.

jt

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 770

Hi John, I purchased a tormach 770 back in October also from Ann Moen, she was great. It was delivered super fast, in fact it took me longer to get it set up on the stand and powered up. I've had it for about a month now and I love it. My dream is to own my own machine shop by the time I reach 40 years old, I'm now 34. This machine is my biggest purchase I've made for my side business which I started back in 2010.
    I did not buy cad/cam software yet either, I do all my programing at my full time job and at home hand written G code but I only have made 2D parts.
    I do want to buy software eventually but I want to make some money with the machine first. The wizards are really cool. So far I've just been playing with my 770, making little simple parts for fun and to get familiar with the machine.
    Well good luck with your 1100, I think you will love it.
    Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Wog,

Thanks for the tip. I know nothing of wizards but I certainly will get acquainted with them.

Steve,

I'm in North Orange County, So. Calif. My new shop (half of a two car garage) will be at my home in Fullerton, CA.

jt
    I'm in San Clemente. If you'd like, we can get together and compare notes (you show me yours, and I'll show you mine kind of thing). If you need help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    When I was taking in outside work, I ran my machine 40 to 70 hours a week, and the ONLY problem I had with it was I busted 3 of the Belleville washers on the drawbar. Now I have a spare set.
    Same here. I ordered a new set of Belleville washers from Tormach ($2.50 each) to replace the broken washers for the PDB. This time I covered the new washers with bearing grease to ease the sliding friction between them.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Same here. I ordered a new set of Belleville washers from Tormach ($2.50 each) to replace the broken washers for the PDB. This time I covered the new washers with bearing grease to ease the sliding friction between them.

Don
    Grease is a great idea. $2.50 each is cheap when you consider how much run time you lose if you have to wait 3 to 5 days while they ship new ones to you.

If you break some on Friday at 4:30 and you don't have a spare set, you'll be SOL until at least Tuesday, and I don't know about you, but if I take a day or two off durring the week, I'll work Saturday and Sunday. Or if I have nothing planned for the weekend, I'll turn on a football game and and make parts while I watch. Only problem with that is, I hate football. It kind of reminds me of watching paint dry, or grass grow.