Good Setup Budget?

Thread: Good Setup Budget?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good Setup Budget?

I will start out by saying I am in school for Manufacturing Engineering and I'm also an entry level engineer at a local machine shop. I recently decided to start my own small business. I mostly make parts for Subaru's however I am still growing and will be broadening my scope of work. I do all my work at the school, free manual mills/lathes, CNC mills/lathes, grinders, Wire EDM...why not? I do purchase my own material and tooling however.

Problem is summer and my inevitable graduation will stop my use access to this equipment. The parts I produce aren't complex in their overall design, however most every part produced have various engraving options.

I am looking for an ideal setup to get me started on a budget to having my own CNC system.

As of right now I'm looking at the Tormach PCNC 770. Offers more than enough travel, enough power and travel speed. However I'm wondering what other costs are going to be added to this. Yes I know there is a shipping charge and other fees for shipping to a home. I'm talking things like collets, coolant, computer, software, etc.

I currently have a spare computer I can adjust to meet the needs for Mach 3, I also have a design computer with Solidworks, AutoCAD Inventor, AutoCAD, MasterCam X4, and some other apps and programs.

Does the accessory kit offered from Little Machine Shop do well or should I just piece what I need as I go?

Can I make my own coolant system or just go with a pre fab'ed one?

Is the quick tool change system worth its price?

How about ways to control coolant, is not having the machine stand going to leave me with coolant running all over the floor?

I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm looking at price wise and what things are a MUST and what are a convenience.

Thanks Guys!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

If you haven't already found it, try posting your question in the Tormach forum.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

When I bought my PCNC 1100 in July 2011, I ordered it with the deluxe stand, PDB, foot pedal, 2 machine arms, controller, keyboard, jog wheel, 4 each 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2 inch set screw holders and 6 each ER 16 and ER20 collet holders, and the automatic oiler. There's probably a few items I forgot to mention as well.

I spent a little over $14,500.00, but I got mine about a month before the Series III's came out and the price went up $1,000.00. If I would have had to wait till the series III's came out, I would have bought exactly the same thing, and just paid the difference.

All I have ever done with my PCNC 1100 is run it. I run it 40 to 70 hours per week. I'm 68 years old and I'm supposed to be retired, but I don't play golf, and I get tired of sitting on my arse in front of the TV. So I make parts for remote control gasoline (87 octane pump gas, like you'd put in your dirt bike) powered boats, cars, trucks and buggies.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buy the deluxe stand and the coolant system, unless you've got unlimited time and money to design and build your own, then fix it to overcome all its shortcomings. It's a good deal if you want to spend more time using your machine than working on it.

The TTS system is worth every dime, right from the start.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with getting the deluxe stand. Anything else you do will always be a hassle. Having a stand that the machine is supposed to fit on is awesome. It does a reasonable job returning the coolant to the tank.

I would also just go with the stock coolant tank until you need something else.

I did the deluxe package with the Tormach controller, power draw bar, and a 4th axis. Don't use the 4th axis very often, so unless you have a specific reason, you can wait on that.

The TTS tooling system is why we are all so happy with our machines. Combined with the power draw bar attachement, it makes the machine a dream to use.

In addition to all of this, I probably spent about another $1000 on TTS tooling, collets, extra tool holders, a decent vise.

Add to that the various bits you will break and burn through as you are learning! I have been having decent enough luck with Atrax bits from Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies for a lot of my work. I just bit the bullet and purchased 10 each 1/4 2 flute and 3 flute solid carbide bits. I also have the same set in 3/16 and about 4 each in 3/8 and 4 each in 1/2.

So, in total, I probably spent $1000 extra at Tormach, and about $500 at Enco to get going. You ARE going to break some stuff while you are getting used to the machine. It really sucks (experience here) ordering 3 each 1/4" bits for your first week with the machine, and end up breaking all 3 in the first couple of hours!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

NOT so much for you as you are on mainland USA. ( I presume) But for those who aren't and are importing the machine themselves, I would think really hard about what you want now and what you may want in the not too distant future and get a few different quotes from Tormach and freight forwarders/shipping companies.
    The reason for this comment comes from my own experience, where I found that shipping some of the larger accessories such as the PDB and ATC cost an arm and a few legs, in fact if I wanted to get the tilting rotary table that goes on the right hand end of the table it would quite likely cost me an arm and half a dozen legs to get here, due to it's weight and being too heavy for Air Freight and a small package for sea freight, the best option for this would be to consolidate it with another shipment.
    Will