ATC Owners: What is your coolant set up?

Thread: ATC Owners: What is your coolant set up?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ATC Owners: What is your coolant set up?

Recent comment in another thread got me wondering how ATC issuers are addressing coolant for multiple tool offsets. Say you position the nozzle out of the way on the right pointed at the tip of a spot drill- after tool change it would be splashing off the wrong end of a drill in a 1/2" holder.

I have seen the "halo" rings... wonder if it would interfere with the ATC? they have many nozzles surrounding the spindle and each can be positioned at a slightly different angle so every tool will have flow at the correct height... but, I imagine with several nozzles at the "wrong" angle no matter what tool is in they likely well also find all the weak spots in all but the best home built enclosures.

Multiple loc-line heads in a half moon around the right each at their own angle?

One loc-line and a short prayer?

What do you guys do/use to allow baby sitting free cutting when you have drastically varying tool offsets? Obviously some times they are similar, but I'm interested in seeing some set ups/ideas for when they aren't.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I just made a bunch of set screw holders. They're all the same length, so the coolant doesn't need to be moved between tool changes. This takes care of most of my tools.

Longer tools, such as drills, need a manual adjustment.

Frederic

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys, you need to think outside the box! What you need is a 4th (or 5th, or 6th) axis that moves a coolant collar up and down in response to tool length offsets. So, for a longer tool, the collar moves down further, so the coolant is always hitting the tool at the same height above the tip, regardless of tool length. :-)

Actually, I believe VMCs often have some form of "active" coolant aiming mechanism.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently looking coolant solutions as well. Checking out Tormach's Fog Buster Coolant system:

32682 - Fog Buster Mist Coolant Kit

It looks like it will do the job when the cool gun or baby sit method won't do. Another alternative could be Acculube. I previously put it on a manual mill, worked OK, but still had to add the cool gun to clear chips.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nonsense, not seen was tormach forum.

Last edited by leix_99; 06-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahcnc View Post
    Currently looking coolant solutions as well. Checking out Tormach's Fog Buster Coolant system:

32682 - Fog Buster Mist Coolant Kit

It looks like it will do the job when the cool gun or baby sit method won't do. Another alternative could be Acculube. I previously put it on a manual mill, worked OK, but still had to add the cool gun to clear chips.

Jim
    FogBusters are great, provided you can keep them properly aimed. Just a little off-target, and they are useless, as they'll completely miss the tool, with a predictably unpleasant result. Particularly trouble-some on deep slotting, where it's nearly impossible to aim in such a way that the tool is always cooled. I used one for years, but finally switched to flood, so I wouldn't have to baby-sit.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the "idea" of the fog buster, but would never even consider using one due to the rigid tube it uses. With the kool mist loc-line I can usually get the nozzle positioned about 30° from parallel to the tool for slotting etc. Even then its not always effective; remove the ability to angle the last inch and its useless IMO. For manual out MDI type stuff its fine, but there is no way I would consider transferring a mist system onto a machine with ATC.

As it stands I need to get a second unit or double kool mist to be effective with manual tool changes. Any slotting only gets mist in one direction of travel at best.

Does the tormach coolant pump have the muster to handle 3 loc-lines or would it be a dribble with that volume? What about 8x .25" nozzles like on some halos?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    I like the "idea" of the fog buster, but would never even consider using one due to the rigid tube it uses. With the kool mist loc-line I can usually get the nozzle positioned about 30° from parallel to the tool for slotting etc. Even then its not always effective; remove the ability to angle the last inch and its useless IMO. For manual out MDI type stuff its fine, but there is no way I would consider transferring a mist system onto a machine with ATC.

As it stands I need to get a second unit or double kool mist to be effective with manual tool changes. Any slotting only gets mist in one direction of travel at best.

Does the tormach coolant pump have the muster to handle 3 loc-lines or would it be a dribble with that volume? What about 8x .25" nozzles like on some halos?
    2 nozzles, maybe. 8 nozzles, unless you change the pump, no way.

Last edited by Steve Seebold; 06-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

For small parts, take the coolant line off the head and fix it directed at the part. I also have two nozzles, but most of the time one well-aimed one does it, since I have the 8" 4th axis that means you can't run long tools in the ATC anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have one job that requires a .125 diameter hole, 4.5 inches deep in a piece of 3/16 thick 7075 aluminum. For that, I have a Quad 1 vise that I turn on its side and I will take the coolant hose off the column and clamp it on the vise so that I ONLY put coolant on the hole and the drill. It's a five step process. I will center drill, then drill the deep hole, drill #21 and tap 10-32.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nozzles

I did this before my ATC, then I just made a drop bracket for the same bolts and modified the bracket to clear the ATC. Keeping the coolant at the top of my workpiece and from moving up and down works for 99.5% of what I do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I did this before my ATC, then I just made a drop bracket for the same bolts and modified the bracket to clear the ATC. Keeping the coolant at the top of my workpiece and from moving up and down works for 99.5% of what I do.

Much simpler that the way I do it, and the nozzle is in the same place all the time. PLUS, when the spindle goes up for a manual tool change, you don't hit the nozzle and knock it out of place.

Great idea Rory.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree. Thats a nice and simple solution.

Taking it one step further might be fixing 2 loc lines to one of those cheap $6 magnetic bases so it could be placed on the right side of the head, bottom of the head, stuck to a mount off the column, or placed right on the back or top of the moving vise jaw with the nozzles pointing from left and right at the part. OR placed between two vises with one nozzle pointed at each vise. 85% of the parts I make are 2 at a time-- one in each vise-- using multiple multiple offsets.

Very good Mr. DesJardin. Love the KISS logic.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not a answer for the ATC user but this works very well with the power draw bar. I used a heavy duty linear slide I had in my scrap box. Gives about 4 Inches of travel and locks with a set screw with handle attached. Really keeps the fiddling with the loc-line to a minimum.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATC Owners: What is your coolant set up?-coolant-slide-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E. View Post
    Not a answer for the ATC user but this works very well with the power draw bar. I used a heavy duty linear slide I had in my scrap box. Gives about 4 Inches of travel and locks with a set screw with handle attached. Really keeps the fiddling with the loc-line to a minimum.

Jeff
    That, sir, is slick.

Small screw, mini steeper, 5th axis controller, and a macro (thats way above my head) and that IS an ATC flood set up (mounted on the right side of course).

Very nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's an idea - it's pretty simple to use an Arduino (Arduino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and a PING sensor to detect distance. Combine this with a hobby-servo and lead-screw and, for under ~$100, you could automate Jeff E.'s system!

Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD