Review of Tormach and new PCNC 1100 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review of Tormach and new PCNC 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I guess the Chinese Knock-off's going to be about $159.95 then.

Phil
    And less with a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon

Does Norway have an equivalent to Harbor Freight Tools?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't they sometimes do free shipping as well.

We don't have an equivalent of a HF here in Norway but we do have companies that sell similar quality tools, at three times the price.

I can buy a CNCed Seig KX3 for $13,800 locally or I can import a PCNC 770 for $8,800 (shipping and taxes paid). You don't need a spreadsheet to conclude on that comparison.

KX3-Sieg CNC Fres. - FINN Torget

I'm surprised that Tormach don't push harder in Europe.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    And less with a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon

Does Norway have an equivalent to Harbor Freight Tools?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Review update - 4th axis and STL file

Hello again,

Here is an update to the review. I was working on using the 4th axis for complex surface STL files.

I found that it was necessary to accurately align (+/_ 0.002") the A-axis of rotation with the X-axis of my STL model coordinate system. I used the following procedure: 1) reference the XYZ axes, 2) place a cylindrical bar in the 4 jaw chuck of the 4th axis, 3) use a dial indicator and rotate the bar to center it in the chuck, 4) use a touch tool to set the Z zero position, 5) use an edge finder to set the Y zero position, 6) reference the A axis, 7) center the workpiece in the chuck using an edge finder, 8) level the workpiece in the chuck using a touch tool, 9) set the A zero position, 10) the X zero position is set based on the work-piece.

In SprutCAM I align the coordinate system of the workpiece (an STL file) to the coordinate system of the part (STL file). The Y and Z axes are centered, the X axis is at the left.

When all of this is done correctly the indexed finishing operations align nicely.

I have concluded that I get the best surface finish (in a reasonable amount of time) with 2/4 indexed plane roughing operations (180/90 deg apart) and 4 indexed plane finish operations (90 deg apart). I use extra-long ball end mills 1/8" - 1/2" to cut high density polyurethane foams, 30-48 lb/ft3.

If anyone else has experience with 4th axis milling of complex surface parts I'd like to hear about it. In particular, any advice about finishing strategies, indexed vs rotary, plane vs waterline, etc. would be appreciated.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    Hello,

I am writing to share my experiences with ordering, setting up and getting started with a Tormach PCNC 1100. It might be helpful to others who are thinking about getting one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12