Newbie Surge protection for PCNC770?

Thread: Surge protection for PCNC770?

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Surge protection for PCNC770?

Hello, everyone -

I have a new 770 and I'm enjoying the heck out of learning to use it.

Today I have a strategy question. In Pittsburgh this time of year, we get our fair share of storm-related power surges, brownouts, and short blackouts. I'm pondering whether I should add some surge protection to the PC and monitor outlets. I don't want to put a UPS in there, since it would honk every time I turn the main power switch off. ... Or maybe a large in-panel surge protector back in my house's service box? Or something for the single-purpose 20A line that feeds the mill?

Any thoughts? TIA.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Marty, I have a 770 as well.

#1 My machine is off and unplugged during any lightning within 5 miles of my location.

#2 My machine is unplugged when I leave the shop for the night.

I am a amateur radio operator and while I have lost some antennas due to strikes I have not lost any equipment due to strikes.

The reason. A surge protector is not going to protect anything from a direct lightning hit. What saved my radio equipment was a ground rod drove into the ground at the antenna. I recently had a friend who was not so lucky. He had surge protectors and a nearby strike took out all of his equipment, 3 computers his router and 2 tvs (hooked up to games/computers).

Bottom line is a surge protector may protect from a distance strike that may cause a surge, but anything close and only good grounding will save you. Make sure the ground in the house is sufficient first.

During a lighting storm I can be in the basement and a few seconds before a strike I can hear a pop and light in the corner of my basement. Took me a while to realize that is the ground on the house. The only thing the builder did get right!